What are your thoughts on this.....?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Link is but here is the summary: (Dec 2015)

An Iraqi Kurd living in Baghdad won a $6.4 million Megabucks jackpot in Oregon.
He bought the winning through a privately operated website.
While the Oregon Lottery doesn't sell tickets online, Lottery Director Jack Roberts said he was advised that the man didn't do anything wrong and should get his winnings. The man was also able to persuade lottery officials not to release his name, although it is a public record under Oregon law.
The Iraqi asked to take his jackpot in installments over 25 years, and the lottery on Friday transferred $158,720 to a bank account he set up in Oregon. That's the amount of his annual prize after 38 percent was taken out for federal and state income taxes.
The man purchased the ticket through theLotter.com, a website based in London that resells lottery tickets it purchases around the world. Roberts said there could be potential issues over whether the website runs afoul of a federal ban on Internet gambling, but he said "there are more serious offenses [the feds] aren't prosecuting."
In any case, lottery spokesman Chuck Baumann said the winning ticket never left Oregon. It was purchased in Bend on Aug. 24 -- apparently by someone working for theLotter.com – and was collected by the Iraqi man after he traveled to Oregon.

While the Oregon Lottery doesn't sell tickets online, Lottery Director Jack Roberts said he was advised that the man didn't do anything wrong and should get his winnings. The man was also able to persuade lottery officials not to release his name, although it is a public record under Oregon law.
The Iraqi asked to take his jackpot in installments over 25 years, and the lottery on Friday transferred $158,720 to a bank account he set up in Oregon. That's the amount of his annual prize after 38 percent was taken out for federal and state income taxes.
The man purchased the ticket through theLotter.com, a website based in London that resells lottery tickets it purchases around the world. Roberts said there could be potential issues over whether the website runs afoul of a federal ban on Internet gambling, but he said "there are more serious offenses [the feds] aren't prosecuting."
In any case, lottery spokesman Chuck Baumann said the winning ticket never left Oregon. It was purchased in Bend on Aug. 24 -- apparently by someone working for theLotter.com – and was collected by the Iraqi man after he traveled to Oregon.

I actually believe you should be a U.S. citizen to win a U.S. lotto...

Let hope he does not use the money to fund ISIS or some other radical movement in Iraq...

Edit Note:

" Who Cares " :)

Yeah I kind of have an issue for the same reason.
And reselling tickets on line?

The only question should be: Is it legal for an offshore entity like theLotter to purchase tickets to U.S. state lotteries?

If no, then why did the State of Oregon allow this?

If yes, what's the problem?

Oh, right. The nationality of the individual who purchased the ticket.

For a moment I forgot this was USMB. :rolleyes:

Actually, I guess we can't have it both ways. If we take the foreigner's money he should be able to win the pot. If Congress is so against that, I guess they should pass a law making those websites illegal.

The only question should be: Is it legal for an offshore entity like theLotter to purchase tickets to U.S. state lotteries?

If no, then why did the State of Oregon allow this?

If yes, what's the problem?

Oh, right. The nationality of the individual who purchased the ticket.

For a moment I forgot this was USMB. :rolleyes:

Personally it could have been bought by a Frog all I care because the winner should be a citizen of the U.S., but it seem it was a legal purchase so let the guy have his money...

I'm ok with the guy winning, and it's cool that he opened a local account, actually, that's really cool of him since he could probably avoid some taxes by moving it out.

but just imagine all the money we are losing out on from making online gambling illegal.

~ 10 years ago, the first online poker site went up, it got so big that the owners were making $6 mil a day (I think there was 4 of them), but the Fed moved in b/c they wanted a bigger piece of that pie, charged them with multiple crimes.

so, like smart men, they fired everyone, moved to an island w/o extradition, hired locals and kept up the good life.

nice huh?

image.jpg

Forum List

Back