What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

And? Is there a point somewhere in there?

The discussion was about the Preamble.

Article I, section 8 of the U. S. Constitution grants Congress the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general Welfare of the United States."

Even FDR understood doing for the people what the people can and should do for themselves wasn't a good idea.

"...The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of a sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America..."
FDR, Annual Message to Congress, January 04, 1935

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
I think Rs make a mistake when they focus their ire on welfare recipients.. What..? are they God? No, they're not... they did not see the evil of gov dependency (until, with some, it was too late)

it is the gummit's fault almost entirely that we have dependence on gummit.. it's a way of buying votes... End o'Sentence!

so yeh, some may take your comments here as being anti-dependents ... when it should be simply anti-BigGummit

Forum List

Back