Zone1 What Do Gods Really Want and Why?

schmidlap

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2020
Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

Why would any self-respecting deity (omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal)
care?

Last edited:
Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

care?
Let's try the opposite question: Who are we humans that God loves us so well?

Second, Why do humans participate in rituals? Christianity has its roots in Judaism. In the celebration/participation in Passover each year is the idea of the meeting up of time, where people break through to the actual event so many years ago. It's not just remembering a past event, it is participating in that event. The Passover Meal of Jesus' Last Supper embraces this participation and opens up through time another event in which we can all participate, Jesus' giving of self to all mankind, Jesus redeeming all of mankind.

Those who go to "rituals" to watch are quickly bored because they are not participating in God's work of salvation. They are not in Jesus presence, hearing the words, "Will you also leave me?" and Peter's response of, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of everlasting life."

DeGrasse Tyson answers: He brings terrible suffering, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Pestilence, etc. to humans.

But he loves you!
Another who thinks that true love is wrapping someone up in soft cotton batting and placing them on a shelf, out of reach, where nothing can harm them. As for me...I'll take the ups and downs.

Another who thinks that true love is wrapping someone up in soft cotton batting and placing them on a shelf, out of reach, where nothing can harm them. As for me...I'll take the ups and downs.
If I were a Christian my friend, I wouldn't be expecting special treatment from my god. But I might raise the question on whey he created such a cruel world?

I'm not a Christian but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't feel empathy for your god's victims.

You're starting to express anger again and you have no reason for doing that. Please reconsider on how we can still cooperate with each others' beliefs, and accomplish a more productive discussion.

I have no ill feelings toward you, regardless of what Ding imagines.

You're starting to express anger again
Interesting...because I'm not angry. I'm happy I'm not up on a shelf, wrapped in cotton batting. Some of my best memories came about in hurricane season, also earthquakes. It's amazing to me that people find so little joy in this life. And amazing that some see anger where none is.

DeGrasse Tyson answers: He brings terrible suffering, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Pestilence, etc. to humans.

But he loves you!
That doesn't mean he likes us. :(
What parent hasn't said to a disobedient child, "I love you, but I don't like you very much right now."

Interesting...because I'm not angry. I'm happy I'm not up on a shelf, wrapped in cotton batting. Some of my best memories came about in hurricane season, also earthquakes. It's amazing to me that people find so little joy in this life. And amazing that some see anger where none is.
I sensed a change in your attitude when you suggested being wrapped in cotton.

You survived your hurricane and so you're not feeling the same as the mother that lost a child in the hurricane.

Or for that matter, any person who has lost a loved one to your god's choices for living things.

I understand your opinion that your god has a purpose for doing what we can imagine or believe he does.

care?
Read the Bible and find out.

Let's try the opposite question: Who are we humans that God loves us so well?

Second, Why do humans participate in rituals? Christianity has its roots in Judaism. In the celebration/participation in Passover each year is the idea of the meeting up of time, where people break through to the actual event so many years ago. It's not just remembering a past event, it is participating in that event. The Passover Meal of Jesus' Last Supper embraces this participation and opens up through time another event in which we can all participate, Jesus' giving of self to all mankind, Jesus redeeming all of mankind.

Those who go to "rituals" to watch are quickly bored because they are not participating in God's work of salvation. They are not in Jesus presence, hearing the words, "Will you also leave me?" and Peter's response of, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of everlasting life."
You seem focused on some humans' stories about only one god. Mine is a general question. I'm not playing favorites.

As best as I can determine, they all reputedly seek validation from humans through adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc..

Why do they all appear to crave that sort of thing?

You seem focused on some humans' stories about only one god. Mine is a general question. I'm not playing favorites.

As best as I can determine, they all reputedly seek validation from humans through adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc..

Try to stay respectful of Christians. It can bring greater understanding, and then gratification!

Think of our Ding as the example that can never produce any answers.

Think of Meriweather as being a sincere and decent Christian.

I sensed a change in your attitude when you suggested being wrapped in cotton.
I was laughing at the time...amused.
You survived your hurricane and so you're not feeling the same as the mother that lost a child in the hurricane.

Or for that matter, any person who has lost a loved one to your god's choices for living things.

I understand your opinion that your god has a purpose for doing what we can imagine or believe he does.
Interesting. Now you imagine I haven't lost loved ones. Or never have had loved ones in great danger.

I have confidence that whatever happens here on earth God is able to work with it. Every day it is good to ask oneself: Am I ready to die today? Because if we are not, we aren't ready to die tomorrow (or any tomorrow after that) either.

Me, for one. ;)
(I have kids!)
It makes the point to the child but it's still not being honest. Better to perhaps say that I'm not feeling love toward you right now.

Love of a child isn't unconditional all of the time. Hence the murderers of their sisters and brothers can't be explained to police investigators who need to know the truth. Most American teens who murder, don't have a reason.

There is one God. If you are interested in others (perhaps the Greek and Romans?) they have an interesting background as well, even though they were not God.

I was laughing at the time...amused.

Interesting. Now you imagine I haven't lost loved ones. Or never have had loved ones in great danger.

I have confidence that whatever happens here on earth God is able to work with it. Every day it is good to ask oneself: Am I ready to die today? Because if we are not, we aren't ready to die tomorrow (or any tomorrow after that) either.
Yes, I know that you accept any and all cruelty and suffering of others, as being your god's will and him being a part of it.
I may not respect your feelings on that but I don't feel it can gain anything by insulting you over it.

What are we atheists to do? Not ask you to explain your feelings in my case. Because I already know why you feel the way you do.

Forum List

Back