What do you pay for housing?

Mani I’m out of the loop
Most parents now feel it best to have their 25,30,35 year old children live at home to avoid other “yucky” housing environments?
How does one move forward when held back?

Mani I’m out of the loop
Most parents now feel it best to have their 25,30,35 year old children live at home to avoid other “yucky” housing environments?

I would not say most, just some.

Mani I’m out of the loop
The circumstances have been screwed around here by democrat policy. My kid is totally aware of that. 99% of his friends are hardcore democrats who have no clue. He’s aware of that, too.

The circumstances have been screwed around here by democrat policy. My kid is totally aware of that. 99% of his friends are hardcore democrats who have no clue. He’s aware of that, too.
Your progressive coddling bundle won’t be bought by me or any other thinker

Mani I’m out of the loop
I disagree.

I'm pretty sure I know of ZERO 30-35 year OLDS that live with their parents.

We didn’t bring him into this world to have to do that. He’s very aware of his circumstance.
Have to do what?! Start out a little “below” where his parents ended up? You’re essentially telling him he’s too important to start out in a modest living situation until he works his way up.

But that’s just my opinion.

Mooching standards. Champagne tastes with beer pocketbook so does nothing
Yup. I remember when I first got out of college, my friends and I joked that we went from affluent daughters of the upper-middle class to poor schlubs who couldn’t even afford the unlimited phone option!

But I guess times were different. Parents expected their college-educated children to figure out a way to support themselves, even if it meant a big drop in living standards (at least at the start).

Back then it was known as working your way up. Now they think it’s “fairer” to be given and provided for.
Yup. About 10 years ago, a lawyer friend paid the $2500 rent on a luxury apartment for his son with a grad degree because, he told me, the son “wasn’t used to living like some poor schlub.”

The message is: you’re entitled to live beyond what you can afford because you’re better than other people.

Not at all. Previous generations didn’t have the American government working to squeeze the middle class as they are now.
I grew up in a large colonial home. The first few years after graduating from college, the best I could afford was a roach-infested apartment. I wasn’t happy about it, and I complained to my parents, but they told me they started off in a dump too, and that’s the way it is when you’re first starting out.

On one hand, I didn’t like it; on the other, I was proud of myself for doing it on my own - even if it mean a very tight budget.

The option isn’t only a little below. The culture has ruined any safe situation. It isn’t 1970 anymore.
A decent 3-bedroom townhouse can be rented for $3000 a month, easy. Three teachers can get together and pay $1,000 a month easy.

This one has 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and there are a lot like them.

I grew up in a large colonial home. The first few years after graduating from college, the best I could afford was a roach-infested apartment. I wasn’t happy about it, and I complained to my parents, but they told me they started off in a dump too, and that’s the way it is when you’re first starting out.

On one hand, I didn’t like it; on the other, I was proud of myself for doing it on my own - even if it mean a very tight budget.
You didn’t have to concern yourself with drive-by shootings. We are aware of the dangers that exist here that didn’t exist in our time. My first 28 years here in Maryland, I endured one crime. In the ensuing 27 years, we’ve endured 10. Our schools were among the best in the state with the one I attended scoring among the best in the country. Now they’re second worst in the state and have been for decades. It isn’t the same world around here that it used to be. Different standards.

The option isn’t only a little below. The culture has ruined any safe situation. It isn’t 1970 anymore.
Or….a LOT below. I went from a large bedroom with my own bathroom, and a maid who changed the linens, to a dumpy little apartment.

A decent 3-bedroom townhouse can be rented for $3000 a month, easy. Three teachers can get together and pay $1,000 a month easy.

This one has 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and there are a lot like them.
Gaithersburg is PG County west. My kid’s buds are not going to live there.

Have to do what?! Start out a little “below” where his parents ended up? You’re essentially telling him he’s too important to start out in a modest living situation until he works his way up.

But that’s just my opinion.
Not an opinion
Stone cold fact
Coddling because the 32 year old “boy” can’t start off at the top of the housing chain

Forum List

Back