What do you pay for housing?

Not sure if you’re being facetious, but there’s something to that.

The American Dream can be living in a nice place, having enough money to go on a pleasant vacation (like a week in a beach rental), owning a car (unless you live in a major city with plenty of public transportation), being able to afford going out to dinner every once in a while, and so forth.
There's no one-size-fits-all American Dream.

OTOH, there are rust belt towns with historic homes in need of repair and restoration that can be had for under $50k. Problem is when they’re in dysfunctional states like Illinois with property taxes out the roof.
Our house in Maryland (also dysfunctional) is assessed at over ten times the house in Illinois but the taxes on the Illinois property are nearly half as much as the house in Maryland.
Both states are democrat-run, BTW.
Housing prices are always low in smaller towns that have lost their major employer and are losing population. Problem is few want to move to these towns. As you stated many are in need of extensive repairs.

Housing prices are always low in smaller towns that have lost their major employer and are losing population. Problem is few want to move to these towns. As you stated many are in need of extensive repairs.
Some are in proximity of mid-major cities.
All of them have historic elements and value. It’s a matter of shallow social values and ignorance as much as economic practicality.
You can’t build a historic home.

That was the topic of C-SPAN this morning. It’s the most important topic in the country. Nobody can deny that’s the cost of living. That is what defines the American dream.

People from across the country and the political divide pretty much all said that they are paying much more for housing under Biden compared to what it was under Trump. One lady from San Diego county said that under Trump a house in her area was around $400,000. Those same houses are going for 900,000 under Biden.

In response we have seen some Democrats laugh about this issue, mock working-class people ….brag about owning a home for decades. Obviously these issues of today don’t really affect them, but they are affecting millions and millions of Americans.

Another issue brought up would be private investment firms buying up homes all over the country. This has gotten out of control and is contributing to the rise in prices. We already had the unnecessary lockdowns due to a overreaction to Covid , which came along with unnecessary stimulus payments….which contributed to a high inflation rate….but private investment firms buying up homes is something that needs to be countered if not banned.

The private investment firms are buying up homes and then jacking up the rent way beyond the true value of the home.

We have also seen a rise and the popularity of “tiny homes”. Houses that are 300 or 400 ft.². That’s not really America. That sounds like communism or something really ugly. We don’t need that in this country.
the last house I lived in was a one bedroom on a 3rd acre we paid 20K cask for,

since then we bought 2 houses on 9 acres, one is a 2 bedroom the other is a 1 bedroom concrete block house all for 72K, and have since bought a 3 bedroom next door for 60K with 3 acres,

so in all we have 3 houses on 12 acres for about 125K

We learned that Biden supporters don’t care about the working class anymore. At least some of the ones in this thread.

They don’t care about the situation in New Orleans. Where an 800 square-foot home is going for as much as $300,000. And the minimum wage is $7.25.

Wow yet Harris is joyful.

According to all of the data and reporting the number one concern for the American people is the astronomical cost of living. But remember the Democratic Party doesn’t care about this stuff anymore. They’re about race division, gender , foreign wars…. yet somehow they’re preaching this nonsense about being joyful and happy.

Yay be happy to live in your parents basement or a 300 ft.² tiny home.

The problem is lack of maturity and motivation. Look inside and stop blaming the outside
There is a portion of hard-working men and women who simply cannot afford the high cost of living. But there’s also the problem with the politicians basically feminizing huge portions of young men across the country into thinking that it’s actually normal to live with your parents until your God knows how old. again there are young men and women who are living with their parents, but who don’t want this.

There are major differences in indicators of living between now and say 40 years ago. For example, the average 25-year-old 40 years ago made $75,000 a year adjusted for inflation. That is according to professor Scott Galloway, who is no right winger the guy is a big Trump critic.

Today the average 25-year-old makes about $40,000 a year. So there you go there it is. Country ain’t what it used to be.

That was the topic of C-SPAN this morning. It’s the most important topic in the country. Nobody can deny that’s the cost of living. That is what defines the American dream.

People from across the country and the political divide pretty much all said that they are paying much more for housing under Biden compared to what it was under Trump. One lady from San Diego county said that under Trump a house in her area was around $400,000. Those same houses are going for 900,000 under Biden.

In response we have seen some Democrats laugh about this issue, mock working-class people ….brag about owning a home for decades. Obviously these issues of today don’t really affect them, but they are affecting millions and millions of Americans.

Another issue brought up would be private investment firms buying up homes all over the country. This has gotten out of control and is contributing to the rise in prices. We already had the unnecessary lockdowns due to a overreaction to Covid , which came along with unnecessary stimulus payments….which contributed to a high inflation rate….but private investment firms buying up homes is something that needs to be countered if not banned.

The private investment firms are buying up homes and then jacking up the rent way beyond the true value of the home.

We have also seen a rise and the popularity of “tiny homes”. Houses that are 300 or 400 ft.². That’s not really America. That sounds like communism or something really ugly. We don’t need that in this country.
People need to understand that importing millions of illegals has the effect of artificially raising demand, thus prices.

There is a portion of hard-working men and women who simply cannot afford the high cost of living. But there’s also the problem with the politicians basically feminizing huge portions of young men across the country into thinking that it’s actually normal to live with your parents until your God knows how old. again there are young men and women who are living with their parents, but who don’t want this.

There are major differences in indicators of living between now and say 40 years ago. For example, the average 25-year-old 40 years ago made $75,000 a year adjusted for inflation. That is according to professor Scott Galloway, who is no right winger the guy is a big Trump critic.

Today the average 25-year-old makes about $40,000 a year. So there you go there it is. Country ain’t what it used to be.
40 grand is poverty basically. It's a scheme. Why not start them out at 60?

Man you are a pussy maker enabler
Wow
Just wow
He’s trying to help his kid out. This ain’t what it was 40 years ago. The writing is on the wall just as a professor Galloway pointed out. The average 25-year-old today makes about half what they used to make 40 years ago

Couple that with the price of homes nearly doubling under Joe Biden, and the cost of a home loan 3x …well you have an economic crisis for the middle class.

We’re going through problems today that weren’t around 40 years ago …consider the cancel culture and wokeism which is also playing a hurting the economy. Neither you, Lisa or the posters above the age of 50 years old ever had to deal with cancel culture. That is what young men and women in their 20s and 30s have to deal with today. It is a massive difference. And the hope is that this country can get back at traditional values.

Last edited:
40 grand is poverty basically. It's a scheme. Why not start them out at 60?
Idk …. The politicians don’t really care It seems like. The price of gas, price of food is through the roof. Jobs don’t pay what they used to. We’ve lost millions of steel and auto jobs.

I want America to be a strong country again. I’m actually going to be moving to Cambodia longer-term and for $1000 a month. I can get it in an amazing condo that is perhaps 1500 ft.². The women are extremely beautiful. Wonderful family oriented people and great food. And I can go to Thailand and enjoy myself whenever I want. But I’m gonna be able to income from Poker and, guaranteed income from a CD account….. that is simply something that is not an option for most people.

Some of those 'historic' homes are high maintenance money pits.
in the 45 yrs my family and I lived in a 1904 house we never came close to spending the money for upkeep my sister has spent on the house she had built in about 1995,,

the one I live in now is a 1912 farmhouse that had indoor plumbing and a bathroom installed in 1973 is just now getting its first make over,,

in total it doesnt have a gallon of paint in the whole thing because it has wallpaper and natural woodwork thats all original,,

so no old houses are not money pits like modern houses are,,

the last house I lived in was a one bedroom on a 3rd acre we paid 20K cask for,

since then we bought 2 houses on 9 acres, one is a 2 bedroom the other is a 1 bedroom concrete block house all for 72K, and have since bought a 3 bedroom next door for 60K with 3 acres,

so in all we have 3 houses on 12 acres for about 125K
Honestly, that is great. I wish the best for all Americans. Lot of these fixer uppers require extensive work and folks simply do not have the money for that extensive work or they don’t have the knowledge of how to fix it themselves.

As for your homes What state are they in and what is the shape of the home? Because I have looked at homes in Mississippi, where the wages are some of the lowest in the country. And even those basically doubled in price during Bidens time in office.

One lady from New Orleans on C-SPAN was talking about how a 800 square-foot home in New Orleans is going for about $300,000. And the minimum wage there is $7.25. They want 1500 - $1800 for a one month rent for one bedroom apartments. These are huge price jumps for such a short period of time.

The point is undeniable we have an economic crisis for the middle-class in this country. That is, of course what happens when the average cost of a home throughout America has effectively doubled under Joe Biden along with the cost of a home loan 3x in price. And the income of the average 25-year-old today are half what they were 40 years ago.

Honestly, that is great. I wish the best for all Americans. Lot of these fixer uppers require extensive work and folks simply do not have the money for that extensive work or they don’t have the knowledge of how to fix it themselves.

As for your homes What state are they in and what is the shape of the home? Because I have looked at homes in Mississippi, where the wages are some of the lowest in the country. And even those basically doubled in price during Bidens time in office.

One lady from New Orleans on C-SPAN was talking about how a 800 square-foot home in New Orleans is going for about $300,000. And the minimum wage there is $7.25. They want 1500 - $1800 for a one month rent for one bedroom apartments. These are huge price jumps for such a short period of time.

The point is undeniable we have an economic crisis for the middle-class in this country. That is, of course what happens when the average cost of a home throughout America has effectively doubled under Joe Biden along with the cost of a home loan 3x in price. And the income of the average 25-year-old today are half what they were 40 years ago.
the 20K house was ready to move into,, it was rehabbed right before the previous tenant and she moved after two yrs cause she was about to have a baby

the farmhouse was pretty much ready to move in but hadnt been touched since the 70s so we redid and painted the kitchen bathroom and one bedroom that are in the new section,,
the old section was wallpaper and natural wood so other than dated and worn paper it was OK to me,, not my wife but she got over it,

planning on dropping plaster and pathe from all the ceilings and redo the walls this fall,

the concrete house is gutted with a new roof,,

the 3rd house had some termite damage in the kitchen that I totally redid,,

theres a front room addition with termite damage that needs major repair on if not total rebuild, but holds for now if youre careful

we did a new kitchen and bathroom and painted everything and my mother in law moved in 3 months before covid hit,,
she was in an apartment in vegas before,,

all are in independence Mo

if you include the 1200 sq ft shop I just built I dont have 200K in all of it

doing the work myself helped but it was slow,,

I would say deals like this are still out there but the illegals are buying them up and redoing them quick,,

There's no one-size-fits-all American Dream.
True Woodz, i do get a tad tired with certain folks that think they can have everything handed to them though...
Housing prices are always low in smaller towns that have lost their major employer and are losing population. Problem is few want to move to these towns.
That would be my situation, out in podunk central.....
There is a portion of hard-working men and women who simply cannot afford the high cost of living.

It's a growing portion Andrew

~S~

Forum List

Back