What Does It Mean To Be A Christian?

Does it mean that you simply say you're one and that's it?

Or does it mean something more?

If so, then what does it entail?

If I could explain it you wouldn't like the answer.
Non-answer.

I wonder what would Jesus have said instead.

How is admitting that I don't know everything not an answer? We don't get to define what it, and is not, a Christian, only God gets to make that decision. If you want to pretend you know more than He does, feel free. Personally, I have no intention to stand before Him on judgement day and make excuses for my actions by saying I did things in His Name, and that is supposed to be my ticket into heaven.

Told you you wouldn't like the answer.

Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentence, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins and the Laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

These are the first principles of the Gospel. This is how we enter into a covenant with God. We are born again through water, through Spirit, and through blood.
Interesting.

So how does this manifest in a Christian's day-to-day life?

Which John 3:16 do you think is correct?

"For God, the God of this world (one of many) was so indifferent to the world that he sent one of the gods, the Spirit brother of the Devil, a polygamist, the son of a fluid or substance to die for certain less serious sins that whatever males would believe in his church would be able to work their way to becoming gods themselves and have their own kingdom."-Mormonism

"For God (the one and only Almighty God) so loved the world (all sinners) that He gave His only begotten Son, (the Lord Jesus Christ, the God-Man, to die for all men's sins) that whoever believes in Him (trusts Christ alone for salvation) should not perish (go to hell forever) but have everlasting life (an eternal personal relationship with God)." -The Genuine Christian Version

"Complete Evangelism" by Marc Estes, p176, 177
Not sure what your question has to do w/my question.

Besides, shouldn't that question be directed to Avatar?

Interesting.

"For God, the God of this world (one of many) was so indifferent to the world that he sent one of the gods, the Spirit brother of the Devil, a polygamist, the son of a fluid or substance to die for certain less serious sins that whatever males would believe in his church would be able to work their way to becoming gods themselves and have their own kingdom."-Mormonism

"For God (the one and only Almighty God) so loved the world (all sinners) that He gave His only begotten Son, (the Lord Jesus Christ, the God-Man, to die for all men's sins) that whoever believes in Him (trusts Christ alone for salvation) should not perish (go to hell forever) but have everlasting life (an eternal personal relationship with God)." -The Genuine Christian Version

Not really. I want you to decide.

If I could explain it you wouldn't like the answer.
Non-answer.

How is admitting that I don't know everything not an answer? We don't get to define what it, and is not, a Christian, only God gets to make that decision. If you want to pretend you know more than He does, feel free. Personally, I have no intention to stand before Him on judgement day and make excuses for my actions by saying I did things in His Name, and that is supposed to be my ticket into heaven.

Quantam, doesn't Scripture say that "By their fruits ye shall know them?"

If not referring to Christians, then who do you think that's referring to?

Additionally, Scripture tells us how to be Christians, by The Fruit of the Spirit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are direct instructions and identifiers of and for Christians. Self-proclaimed or otherwise.

Not really. I want you to decide.
I don't have to decide.

I wasn't the one promoting LDS, aka Mormonism, Avatar was.

Why direct it toward me and not him?

Non-answer.

Additionally, Scripture tells us how to be Christians, by The Fruit of the Spirit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are direct instructions and identifiers of and for Christians. Self-proclaimed or otherwise.

Guess what else it says.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I would put casting out demons pretty high up in the fruits department if I were to judge by human standards.

I suggest you stop trying to convince yourself you know what you are talking about by arguing with me, you can't win because I am right, the only one who really knows is not here.

OK, so what does that entail?

Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentence, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins and the Laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

These are the first principles of the Gospel. This is how we enter into a covenant with God. We are born again through water, through Spirit, and through blood.
Interesting.

Depends on the Christian. I can't speak for others. I only know the path of discipleship the Lord has been leading me personally on. We are all at different points when we come to Christ, we all have different lessons to learn.

The key is recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost as the Apostles taught and as they gave it. That way, we can learn line upon line and precept upon precept being sanctified by the Atonement of Jesus Christ here a little.

Interesting.

Depends on the Christian. I can't speak for others. I only know the path of discipleship the Lord has been leading me personally on. We are all at different points when we come to Christ, we all have different lessons to learn.

The key is recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost as the Apostles taught and as they gave it. That way, we can learn line upon line and precept upon precept being sanctified by the Atonement of Jesus Christ here a little.
Interesting.

Thanks for answering and sharing your view.

Baptism doesn't save.

Jesus referred to baptism as a work of righteousness (Matt. 3:15). It is 'not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us." (Titus 3:5)

How can you claim to follow Christ and accept the Atonement if you wont even submit yourself to be baptized as He was? If Christ, being holy had need to be baptized by water to fulfill all righteousness, how much more do we, being unholy, need it?

If you want to go to the judgment without baptism, you clearly can. Quite frankly, I don't want the job of trying to explain to the Lord how i believe in His Son and yet I think I can ignore what He taught on baptism.

The Doctrine of Christ is clear. Peter is very clear about it in Acts 2. Be baptized and recieve the Holy Ghost. If we trying wish to follow Christ, these should be the first things we should be doing.

Guess what else it says.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I would put casting out demons pretty high up in the fruits department if I were to judge by human standards.

I suggest you stop trying to convince yourself you know what you are talking about by arguing with me, you can't win because I am right, the only one who really knows is not here.
Quantam, clearly you're doing it wrong. Clearly.

The passage you quoted, from Matthew 7:21-23 isn't referring to whatever you think it does, it's referring to people that are PROFESSING to be Christians.

Understand the difference?

We serve a God that is a God of order, therefore he tells us what he expects of us. Of course we can't judge others, however, we do have a standard that he's presented for us to follow, aka a standard of Christianity. I've already outlined it above.

If you are denying that fact, then I don't know what else to tell you, but...you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Non-answer.

It does in reference to how to tell true prophets from false prophets.

To enter the Kingdom of God, you must be born again.

It's in the Gospel of John, chapter 3.
This second birth is a spiritual birth. For me, I asked God one night that Jesus be in my life.

Over the next couple of days, I experienced some deep, personal, unexpected changes. I've been a Christian ever since.

Guess what else it says.

The passage you quoted, from Matthew 7:21-23 isn't referring to whatever you think it does, it's referring to people that are PROFESSING to be Christians.

We serve a God that is a God of order, therefore he tells us what he expects of us. Of course we can't judge others, however, we do have a standard that he's presented for us to follow, aka a standard of Christianity. I've already outlined it above.

If you are denying that fact, then I don't know what else to tell you, but...you're doing it wrong.

It was referring to people who believe they are Christians and actually perform miracles in the name of Jesus, not just people who profess a belief and fake it. If you don't understand that you are even dumber than you think I am.

Guess what else it says.

It was referring to people who believe they are Christians and actually perform miracles in the name of Jesus, not just people who profess a belief and fake it. If you don't understand that you are even dumber than you think I am.
Quantam, that's a stretch, but if that's how you wanna claim some sort of "win" or "one up" then go for it.

The passage refers to both of those, although the miracles portion isn't near as applicable to Christians today. Unless you can link to those performing miracles on the regular, or those claiming to.

It's generally understood in Christiandom to be referring to Christians, and/or Christian behavior in general.

You should know this.

Quantam, that's a stretch, but if that's how you wanna claim some sort of "win" or "one up" then go for it.

The passage refers to both of those, although the miracles portion isn't near as applicable to Christians today. Unless you can link to those performing miracles on the regular, or those claiming to.

It's generally understood in Christiandom to be referring to Christians, and/or Christian behavior in general.

You should know this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMqRDBKUwM]Leap of Faith (3/10) Movie CLIP - Got Trouble? (1992) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I know that you think that everyone is like Steve Martin in "Leap if Faith," but you forgot one thing, when he saw the real thing he quit. Hucksters don't really believe, so they would have no reason to stand up and proclaim they do on the day of judgement. If you pulled your head out of the ass of that pathetic jerk that spoon feeds you those lies you base your life on you would see that.

Does it mean that you simply say you're one and that's it?

Or does it mean something more?

If so, then what does it entail?

John 3:3 - Jesus said, 'no one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he is born again(spiritually)'

Jesus Christ clearly said, that unless and until anyone is born again from spiritual death to spiritual life, he or she cannot enter the Kingdom of God or become a Christian.
For further details, please see the link below:

Salvation

You should know this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMqRDBKUwM]Leap of Faith (3/10) Movie CLIP - Got Trouble? (1992) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I know that you think that everyone is like Steve Martin in "Leap if Faith," but you forgot one thing, when he saw the real thing he quit. Hucksters don't really believe, so they would have no reason to stand up and proclaim they do on the day of judgement. If you pulled your head out of the ass of that pathetic jerk that spoon feeds you those lies you base your life on you would see that.
There's so many opinions and non-facts in your statement I don't know where to begin.

So I'll simply say...

God be with you.

You should know this.

miracles happen all the time. They are they product of faith. If there are no miracles it's only due to a lack of faith.

Forum List

Back