What does the bible really say about it?

As things stand these days, Chuck, I am MUCH more likely to get the truth from someone who doesn't call themselves 'Christian.'

I highly recommend that you stop looking to people for answers, but that you become a 'seeker' and read the ancient texts yourself. There are lots of them and lots of translations. Jesus said, 'seek and you shall find.'

As things stand these days, Chuck, I am MUCH more likely to get the truth from someone who doesn't call themselves 'Christian.'

Reminded me of a nice quote,
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - Andre Gide

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - Andre Gide

Man times people who ask Bible questions are not seeking truth. They are doing as the Pharisees of Jesus' day and looking to destroy. Jesus dealt with that one too, 'cast not your pearls before swine.'

Wait? You use assumption and guessing to imply the truth? Who would have thought you of all people would lie about something like this?
you act like that's an alien concept?
the bible and most especially the Joseph smith trilogy are packed tight with assumption and guesswork with the added bonus absolute fantasy..
people have always and will always lie about sex...

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

How is that relevant to the conversation? How does someone lying about sex somehow make it okay for the government to force employers to pay for the contraception of their employees when it's contrary to their religious beliefs?
yes and so do you...although you'll deny it..
as to your other comment why should we pay for the birth of a believers child because they didn't use protection.?

Man times people who ask Bible questions are not seeking truth. They are doing as the Pharisees of Jesus' day and looking to destroy. Jesus dealt with that one too, 'cast not your pearls before swine.'
false! the bible can't answer every question...to say it can is ridiculous..

Last edited:

I highly recommend that you stop looking to people for answers, but that you become a 'seeker' and read the ancient texts yourself. There are lots of them and lots of translations. Jesus said, 'seek and you shall find.'

I'm not looking for answers. I'm pointing out that Christians are nowhere near the lock on honesty and integrity that they would have us believe.

I do, thankfully, have a few Christian friends who have set a standard, so I know such people exist. However, they are very few and far between.

And as I have stated previously. If I just indicated an interest in Christianity, and then found this board? I'd be a Buddhist in no time.

(raises hand) I didn't. As a general rule I don't read 3rd party commentaries on Scripture. More than capable of doing that for myself. Nothing against you Luddly, or the subject, it's just my wish not to muddy theological waters with non-Scripture.

I read it. I wasn't very impressed with the pro contraception argument. I don't consider Songs of Solomon as terribly inspired and I think the interpretation of the passages to mean contraception is allowable was a bit forced.

The discussion of the Ester passages had a similiar problem. Simply because historically Persian Kings had their wives use contraception (something not even mentioned in the scriptures) it's evidence that God allows it? It's a bit of a stretch.

And the gloss over of Onan and the command to multiply and replenish the earth didn't bolster my impression of the interpretations. At best I think it's clear that the Bible doesn't address contraception at all thought it looks like there are arguments pro and con.

Personally, I think it's up to the couple to figure out with the Lord whether it's appropriate or not. The Catholic Church is completely fine by preaching against it because they don't base their religion on the Bible alone. Nor do I. Which is precisely why I think we should seek the answer from the Lord on our own.

Regardless of whether the Bible says anything about contraception, not all religions follow the Bible. Not every religious practice is in the Bible. So why should the fact that lud can produce someone who interprets the Bible to be favorable towards contraception allow the government to force those whose religious beliefs are against contraception to pay for contraception for others?

I notice that all of your preaching is really just your own opinion.

That's okay but its not as if yours is the only valid opinion.

I have found the same to be true.

Especially since christians these days, are behaving in very unchristian-like ways. With the caveat that I'm really hoping that this board is not typical of christians, they hate children, women, blacks, Jews, Hispanics, gays.

About the only thing "christians" seem to care about are fetuses. Once that fetus becomes a child, hungry and homeless, they don't have any love left for him or her.

you act like that's an alien concept?
the bible and most especially the Joseph smith trilogy are packed tight with assumption and guesswork with the added bonus absolute fantasy..
people have always and will always lie about sex...

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

How is that relevant to the conversation? How does someone lying about sex somehow make it okay for the government to force employers to pay for the contraception of their employees when it's contrary to their religious beliefs?
as to your other comment why should we pay for the birth of a believers child because they didn't use protection.?

Once that fetus becomes a child, they'd let her starve in the street.

false! the bible can't answer every question...to say it can is ridiculous..

I don't think the boble answers any question.

The answers are inside one's self. They always are. But, if one doesn't know that, if one needs to find validation, open a bible anywhere and one can read a myriad of meanings into the words - depending on what you want and need.

Again, that's okay. I don't have any objection to that. But, I don't object to Grimm's Fairy Tales either.

As a Christian, I don't trust AlterNet. Truth doesn't necessarily come from people who aren't Christian. I spent too many years at home doing Bible study to find out that someone teaching doesn't know how to do Biblical math. I look things up and have argued with people and I have a greater understanding from having studied it first hand. It is like information. Do you trust someone who give you information from 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand accounts? No. They don't do it in college unless you go to a really bad one.

The Biblical truth is:

1 Corinthians 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

No one with an IQ above 50 should trust Alternet. The fucker was on Compuserve back in the day. Both BriPat and I have a lot of experience with Don Hazen. He's as open minded as RDean, with all the brains of TruthMatters.

I will grant that he took a little hate group attacking Rush Limbaugh in the Political Debate forum on CIS and moved it to the Web, where it grew into the festering hate site it is today. Still, Hazen is a nutjob and Alternet is a whackadoodle site.

Look, you said the 13 year old was lying about sex, the jury said he wasn't...

Get over it...
that was your case....but for you there have been so many boys over the years it must be hard to remember them all..

Forum List

Back