🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What DOES the US Fed. Govt do Well?

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect? Even those things that ARE their PRIMARY Constitutional Duties.. Like the organization and the production of Congress. Or immigration and borders. Or assuring fair and legal elections? Even the maintenance and use of the Military -- which was NOT envisioned in the Constitution as a "standing army"..

And of the stuff that leadership has GRABBED the power to dabble in -- like picking winners and losers in the marketplace, or our new 9/11 domestic spying operation or even the operation of the IRS as an ENFORCEMENT arm of health care policy.

Why is it that so people tend to look to the Feds to micromanage every detail of life. Because WASH is full of the "best and brightest" humble, yet brilliant problem-solvers qualified to fix stuff efficiently and KEEP it fixed?

Ever see ONE Cong. Hearing that resolved anything at all?

Give me examples of WHY folks believe the Fed Govt deserves to keep EXPANDING it's control, it's budget, and it's EFFECT on our lives. The health of the country is suffering over POWER BATTLES for control of this Swampy Monster. It MUST BE just pricelessly IMPORTANT ---- RIGHT???

I love these idiot threads....

the federal government runs the military, social security, the US mail, environmental regulation (or did until the orange sociopath).... anti-trust laws, anti-discrimination laws, medicare, Medicaid.... workplace safety, arts and science funding....

and that's just off the top of my head.

prior to social security over 50% of our senior citizens lived in poverty.

you know, all of the things that trump loons get cranky about

The question, jillian, is do they do any of that well? I submit that a two billion dollar airplane that can be knocked out of the sky by a bird strike is not a very good investment. I submit that Social Security is in debt up to it's eyeballs and that by the time my daughter would hope to be receiving her "benefits" she will be getting nothing for all of the tens of thousands that she will have "given" the government. The VA? How many dead veterans before their time does it take to wake you up on that issue? Or how about the billions in Medicare fraud that is allowed to occur every year?

You see jillian, it is not the fact that they do it, anyone can do a job using other peoples money. A monkey could do it. The question is do they do it well and arguably I can't think of a single program that the US government does now that can be considered a good job.

Ronald Reagan and The Great Social Security Heist : FedSmith.com

April 20, 1983, The day of shame.

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect? Even those things that ARE their PRIMARY Constitutional Duties.. Like the organization and the production of Congress. Or immigration and borders. Or assuring fair and legal elections? Even the maintenance and use of the Military -- which was NOT envisioned in the Constitution as a "standing army"..

And of the stuff that leadership has GRABBED the power to dabble in -- like picking winners and losers in the marketplace, or our new 9/11 domestic spying operation or even the operation of the IRS as an ENFORCEMENT arm of health care policy.

Why is it that so people tend to look to the Feds to micromanage every detail of life. Because WASH is full of the "best and brightest" humble, yet brilliant problem-solvers qualified to fix stuff efficiently and KEEP it fixed?

Give me examples of WHY folks believe the Fed Govt deserves to keep EXPANDING it's control, it's budget, and it's EFFECT on our lives. The health of the country is suffering over POWER BATTLES for control of this Swampy Monster. It MUST BE just pricelessly IMPORTANT ---- RIGHT???

We have one of the oldest governments in the world and the most successful country in the world.

Can't argue with results !

But yet you're here everyday -- arguing about "the results"... :rolleyes:

I don't think I've seen one really serious response from the Left. Am I picking on them? Sure. Because if ANYONE actually believes "it's all good" and wants MORE of this --- there's only a couple reasons for their naive denial..

It's so easy to say "the gov sucks". Sure it ain't perfect , but is it really that bad? You imply private companies do things better , but there's endless stories of private industry fuck ups .

It's just such an easy, and lazy move to shit on the government.

When private companies fuck up -- they lose market share. Maybe even get sued. People get fired.
You fuck up in govt -- they give your dept more money and promote you..
Govt can't track VIsa immigrants -- MasterCard could..

I asked simple questions. Which ONE of their duties -- or the stuff they've appropriated the power to do --- do they DO WELL?? With insight, dilligience, creativity and efficiency?

I love these idiot threads....

the federal government runs the military, social security, the US mail, environmental regulation (or did until the orange sociopath).... anti-trust laws, anti-discrimination laws, medicare, Medicaid.... workplace safety, arts and science funding....

and that's just off the top of my head.

prior to social security over 50% of our senior citizens lived in poverty.

you know, all of the things that trump loons get cranky about

The question, jillian, is do they do any of that well? I submit that a two billion dollar airplane that can be knocked out of the sky by a bird strike is not a very good investment. I submit that Social Security is in debt up to it's eyeballs and that by the time my daughter would hope to be receiving her "benefits" she will be getting nothing for all of the tens of thousands that she will have "given" the government. The VA? How many dead veterans before their time does it take to wake you up on that issue? Or how about the billions in Medicare fraud that is allowed to occur every year?

You see jillian, it is not the fact that they do it, anyone can do a job using other peoples money. A monkey could do it. The question is do they do it well and arguably I can't think of a single program that the US government does now that can be considered a good job.

Ronald Reagan and The Great Social Security Heist : FedSmith.com

April 20, 1983, The day of shame.

Why did the theft NOT STOP under Carter, Clinton, Obama? Why is it an "untouchable" subject? Every American worker is being ROBBED TWICE for the same contribution.. How come NOBODY in leadership will even acknowledge the $30 or $40Bill deficits that are NOW "covered" by China buying NEW Treasury debt? Why did both parties and the media CONDONE the lie -- that there was anything valuable in the SS Trust Fund? 80% of America still BELIEVES that lie..

And since they not only mismanaged, but ROBBED that "Universal Program" and then largely LIED about it --- give me one good reason why we should trust them any NEW "Universal" anything..

It's because of incompetence and lack of leadership - that's why. The 2 parties just fight for control of the cash machine. YOU don't count for much. Neither do your reps in Congress.

YET -- Every day on USMB -- the partisan wars drone on. AS THO --- re-electing one corrupt dysfunctional team over the other is gonna MAKE the Massive overgrown govt more professional and effective.

We have one of the oldest governments in the world and the most successful country in the world.

I don't think I've seen one really serious response from the Left. Am I picking on them? Sure. Because if ANYONE actually believes "it's all good" and wants MORE of this --- there's only a couple reasons for their naive denial..

It's so easy to say "the gov sucks". Sure it ain't perfect , but is it really that bad? You imply private companies do things better , but there's endless stories of private industry fuck ups .

When private companies fuck up -- they lose market share. Maybe even get sued. People get fired.

I asked simple questions. Which ONE of their duties -- or the stuff they've appropriated the power to do --- do they DO WELL?? With insight, dilligience, creativity and efficiency?

I'll bite . Let's go with post office . Which is now quasi government.

USPS is more NON -- than govt.. It's also an endangered species because of the "federal oversight" that limits their creativity and innovation to survive. I give 15 years MAX.. Before hardly ANYTHING gets to your "mailbox"..

When a corporation faces that kind of extinction event, they don't just keep making the buggy whips and wait for the doors to close.. Can't even really SELL the USPS to anyone -- can ya?

MAYBE --- Amazon would love to have it. MAYBE -- they'll pay more than it's actually worth..

Last edited:
You got me on that one...:eusa_think: I don't know wasting taxpayer money?

So is it ME? Or do the 2 parties have everyone angry at EACH OTHER instead of AT THEM?? Ain't that a wonderful and masterful scam of some sorts?

Actually, I'm sandbagging a bit. Polarizing the electorate against each other is a BUILT-IN FEATURE of 2 party politics that has gone on too long..

As a conservative my hatred of GOP RINO lying corrupt bastards is alive and well, I hate them and the left equally.
and yet you dont hate the far right basterds as well....

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect?
Well, we did a kickass job of defeating the USSR.

We also beat Hitler. And Tojo. And Mussolini. At the same time!

We beat the Kaiser.

And the Confederates.

And the redcoats.

You got me on that one...:eusa_think: I don't know wasting taxpayer money?

So is it ME? Or do the 2 parties have everyone angry at EACH OTHER instead of AT THEM?? Ain't that a wonderful and masterful scam of some sorts?

Actually, I'm sandbagging a bit. Polarizing the electorate against each other is a BUILT-IN FEATURE of 2 party politics that has gone on too long..

As a conservative my hatred of GOP RINO lying corrupt bastards is alive and well, I hate them and the left equally.
and yet you dont hate the far right basterds as well....

I believe he said he did. That would be a healthier attitude than allowing the 2 Dynasty parties to play you against each other..

1. Lab science....Trillions of dollars of economic growth because of federal investments into science. The private sector would be a lot smaller if not for this.
2. Regulating air, water and food. This is why we're better then mexico or China in this area.

The list goes on.

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect?
Well, we did a kickass job of defeating the USSR.

We also beat Hitler. And Tojo. And Mussolini. At the same time!

And the Kaiser.

And the Confederates.

And the redcoats.

No one is amused by this. Don't need to poll. They're not...
We also beat one of the Clintons.

Only one, though. Tough motherfuckers. We needed Russia's help.

Infrastructure is another....This is something shared by all and has to be down by the government...Also it is cheaper when done this way.....
Before FDR, most of our infrastructure was built by the private sector.

But I'm glad we don't have all those zillions of toll roads any more.

Infrastructure is another....This is something shared by all and has to be down by the government...Also it is cheaper when done this way.....

And you couldn't go outside of cities more or less. The federal government changed that.

1. Lab science....Trillions of dollars of economic growth because of federal investments into science. The private sector would be a lot smaller if not for this.
2. Regulating air, water and food. This is why we're better then mexico or China in this area.

The list goes on.

Govt and science don't mix. Hardly ANY research that isn't funded because of "hot political topics".. You want to study sea slugs? Nobody in DC interested --- UNLESS --- you can show that your slugs are victims of Global Warming. THEN -- just sit back -- write the reports the way the sponsor wants them -- and collect the checks...

MOST govt bucks for technology and "R&D" end up being targeted into picking EXISTING market winners and losers. By funding ONE entity over the other (Bezos over Musk for "space") you are HOBBLING all the folks who have BETTER ideas and would get in if the field was level..

No reason that Mercedes/BMW/Ford couldn't produce a Tesla car. None at all. They knock Musk's socks off. Is that the way you think the Fed Govt promotes technology???

And you couldn't go outside of cities more or less. The federal government changed that.
Not true! The railroads enabled people to go just about anywhere, thanks to people like Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Yeah. Real Glad. Because the NO GROWTH policies in large cities means NO NEW ROAD CAPACITY. Aren't you thrilled with that? Private companies could solve traffic congestion. Munis and state WANT the traffic congestion to encourage people to get OFF the roads...

USPS is more NON -- than govt.. It's also an endangered species because of the "federal oversight" that limits their creativity and innovation to survive. I give 15 years MAX.. Before hardly ANYTHING gets to your "mailbox"..

When a corporation faces that kind of extinction event, they don't just keep making the buggy whips and wait for the doors to close.. Can't even really SELL the USPS to anyone -- can ya?

MAYBE --- Amazon would love to have it. MAYBE -- they'll pay more than it's actually worth..
as a former worker i have to agree with this.....if Congress would let the people who run the PO actually run it,they would be way ahead of UPS and Fedx....they have to get permission to do anything to keep ahead or just keep up with everyone else,and sometimes it takes years.....and from what i have seen Amazon is doing great with the PO....

Yeah. Real Glad. Because the NO GROWTH policies in large cities means NO NEW ROAD CAPACITY. Aren't you thrilled with that? Private companies could solve traffic congestion. Munis and state WANT the traffic congestion to encourage people to get OFF the roads...
There are advantages and disadvantages to either system.

Believe me, I rant nearly every day about the liberals trying to control our behavior and force everyone onto mass transit.

Forum List

Back