What DOES the US Fed. Govt do Well?

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect? Even those things that ARE their PRIMARY Constitutional Duties.. Like the organization and the production of Congress. Or immigration and borders. Or assuring fair and legal elections? Even the maintenance and use of the Military -- which was NOT envisioned in the Constitution as a "standing army"..

And of the stuff that leadership has GRABBED the power to dabble in -- like picking winners and losers in the marketplace, or our new 9/11 domestic spying operation or even the operation of the IRS as an ENFORCEMENT arm of health care policy.

Why is it that so people tend to look to the Feds to micromanage every detail of life. Because WASH is full of the "best and brightest" humble, yet brilliant problem-solvers qualified to fix stuff efficiently and KEEP it fixed?

Ever see ONE Cong. Hearing that resolved anything at all?

Give me examples of WHY folks believe the Fed Govt deserves to keep EXPANDING it's control, it's budget, and it's EFFECT on our lives. The health of the country is suffering over POWER BATTLES for control of this Swampy Monster. It MUST BE just pricelessly IMPORTANT ---- RIGHT???

They tax the living shit out of us for crappy domestic programs.

-Geaux

You mean like roadways and fire/police services, etc. None of which you use?

There's no way to save it short of increasing taxes to create another surplus. But because nothing has changed in DC there is nothing to stop these morons from "borrowing" the surplus again and pissing it away a 2nd time.

IMO SS should be taken away from the Federal government and a non partisan independent body be created to manage it in the best interests of the people with AMPLE safeguards to shield it from corruption and stupidity. If any company had managed a fund as badly as government has managed SS the people would be in prison.

lol, you want SS to put its revenue in a big jar and stash it under a bed somewhere? lol, you're retarded.

OMG the irony, what do you think the government does with those funds? Fine, your new name is Gomer Pile.

The SS Trust Fund INVESTS that revenue and earns about 100 billion in interest every year.

Which is about 3% a year. Not much to brag about and certainly individual investors (if they had that money) could do much better for themselves.

If American workers made a livable wage wouldn't we have higher contributions?

What does that have to do with anything? If we paid workers enough money, they could have a penthouse suite in a high rise as well.

If we want these programs, we have to fund them. You can't live longer and longer and expect to pay the same percentage of your pay into the program when the payouts keep getting higher. If you want to keep SS, let the contributions increase every year to provide what it's supposed to. Same with Medicare.

There is no need to hate a fiscal conservative.
did i say fiscal conservative or the far right asswipes?...

That's it, let your rage and anger flow.
been doing that long before you got here....

So you have issues, noted. :cuckoo:
i have read your bullshit....i think you have way more issues than me.....you hate anyone who doesnt agree with you....i aint no where near that...

No I just hate liars, the left and RINO's for example.

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect? Even those things that ARE their PRIMARY Constitutional Duties.. Like the organization and the production of Congress. Or immigration and borders. Or assuring fair and legal elections? Even the maintenance and use of the Military -- which was NOT envisioned in the Constitution as a "standing army"..

And of the stuff that leadership has GRABBED the power to dabble in -- like picking winners and losers in the marketplace, or our new 9/11 domestic spying operation or even the operation of the IRS as an ENFORCEMENT arm of health care policy.

Why is it that so people tend to look to the Feds to micromanage every detail of life. Because WASH is full of the "best and brightest" humble, yet brilliant problem-solvers qualified to fix stuff efficiently and KEEP it fixed?

Give me examples of WHY folks believe the Fed Govt deserves to keep EXPANDING it's control, it's budget, and it's EFFECT on our lives. The health of the country is suffering over POWER BATTLES for control of this Swampy Monster. It MUST BE just pricelessly IMPORTANT ---- RIGHT???

-Geaux

We were talking about the federal government here. Fire and police are funded by the city or town. Most of the roadways are funded by the state.

Why if folks actually KNEW then that the SS Trust Fund was robbed clean empty -- Bush MIGHT HAVE CONVINCED people to use the ample surplus (at that time) to defray some REAL future costs. Couldn't have Bush "save the future" for Soc Sec --- can we now??? :bang3:

There's no way to save it short of increasing taxes to create another surplus. But because nothing has changed in DC there is nothing to stop these morons from "borrowing" the surplus again and pissing it away a 2nd time.

IMO SS should be taken away from the Federal government and a non partisan independent body be created to manage it in the best interests of the people with AMPLE safeguards to shield it from corruption and stupidity. If any company had managed a fund as badly as government has managed SS the people would be in prison.

Bush wiped out the surpluses with unnecessary tax cuts.

You are either really confused or in the wrong thread. We are discussing Social Security.

Social Security has a 2 trillion dollar 'surplus' that has grown every year for decades.

If SS is doing so great, why do they want to keep increasing the age you can collect?

Sounds great on paper, but do you want to see a 66 year old guy collecting your trash? Do you want to see a 66 year old roofer carrying bundles of shingles up two stories to the job site, or a bricklayer laborer carrying 8" blocks to the job sites?

It's not a solution to our SS problem.

Congress having stole all our money is hoping people will die before they can collect a dime of SS. Can you imagine your average 70 year old still working on the factory floor, DUMB!

But yet you're here everyday -- arguing about "the results"... :rolleyes:

I don't think I've seen one really serious response from the Left. Am I picking on them? Sure. Because if ANYONE actually believes "it's all good" and wants MORE of this --- there's only a couple reasons for their naive denial..

It's so easy to say "the gov sucks". Sure it ain't perfect , but is it really that bad? You imply private companies do things better , but there's endless stories of private industry fuck ups .

It's just such an easy, and lazy move to shit on the government.

When private companies fuck up -- they lose market share. Maybe even get sued. People get fired.
You fuck up in govt -- they give your dept more money and promote you..
Govt can't track VIsa immigrants -- MasterCard could..

I asked simple questions. Which ONE of their duties -- or the stuff they've appropriated the power to do --- do they DO WELL?? With insight, dilligience, creativity and efficiency?

I'll bite . Let's go with post office . Which is now quasi government.

USPS is more NON -- than govt.. It's also an endangered species because of the "federal oversight" that limits their creativity and innovation to survive. I give 15 years MAX.. Before hardly ANYTHING gets to your "mailbox"..

When a corporation faces that kind of extinction event, they don't just keep making the buggy whips and wait for the doors to close.. Can't even really SELL the USPS to anyone -- can ya?

MAYBE --- Amazon would love to have it. MAYBE -- they'll pay more than it's actually worth..

The problem is the USPS has a constitutional and regulatory obligation to deliver a letter to anyone with an established address anywhere in the country, their competitors, not so.

What needs to be done is a split of the mail delivery (goes 100% federal) and the package delivery (stays quasi-federal) supporting the letter side.
the advertising is probably their biggest revenue grabber.....that stuff never stopped coming...parcels increased a lot too.....

I don't think I've seen one really serious response from the Left. Am I picking on them? Sure. Because if ANYONE actually believes "it's all good" and wants MORE of this --- there's only a couple reasons for their naive denial..

It's so easy to say "the gov sucks". Sure it ain't perfect , but is it really that bad? You imply private companies do things better , but there's endless stories of private industry fuck ups .

When private companies fuck up -- they lose market share. Maybe even get sued. People get fired.

I asked simple questions. Which ONE of their duties -- or the stuff they've appropriated the power to do --- do they DO WELL?? With insight, dilligience, creativity and efficiency?

USPS is more NON -- than govt.. It's also an endangered species because of the "federal oversight" that limits their creativity and innovation to survive. I give 15 years MAX.. Before hardly ANYTHING gets to your "mailbox"..

When a corporation faces that kind of extinction event, they don't just keep making the buggy whips and wait for the doors to close.. Can't even really SELL the USPS to anyone -- can ya?

MAYBE --- Amazon would love to have it. MAYBE -- they'll pay more than it's actually worth..

The problem is the USPS has a constitutional and regulatory obligation to deliver a letter to anyone with an established address anywhere in the country, their competitors, not so.

What needs to be done is a split of the mail delivery (goes 100% federal) and the package delivery (stays quasi-federal) supporting the letter side.

And 4 years after you DO that mindless and abitrary split -- there'll BE NO letters to stuff in your mailbox. Except Christmas cards and checks from your grammy on your birthday.. Not to sure about even the Christmas cards..

did i say fiscal conservative or the far right asswipes?...

That's it, let your rage and anger flow.
been doing that long before you got here....

So you have issues, noted. :cuckoo:
i have read your bullshit....i think you have way more issues than me.....you hate anyone who doesnt agree with you....i aint no where near that...

No I just hate liars, the left and RINO's for example.
thats people who dont agree with you...to HATE all of them means you have issues.....way more than me....

Name me the places that UPS and FedEx don't serve...
It's getting pretty small..

-Geaux

Those are almost exclusively state and local responsibilities.. So are most of the courts..
AND they are PRIMARY functions of govt. Not writing regulations on how much "non turkey product" can appear in stuff labeled 100% white meat turkey...

Nothing...

-Geaux

Nope, that's not what I mean

-Geaux

You are either really confused or in the wrong thread. We are discussing Social Security.

Social Security has a 2 trillion dollar 'surplus' that has grown every year for decades.

If SS is doing so great, why do they want to keep increasing the age you can collect?

Sounds great on paper, but do you want to see a 66 year old guy collecting your trash? Do you want to see a 66 year old roofer carrying bundles of shingles up two stories to the job site, or a bricklayer laborer carrying 8" blocks to the job sites?

Congress having stole all our money is hoping people will die before they can collect a dime of SS. Can you imagine your average 70 year old still working on the factory floor, DUMB!

Or even my job for instance. Do you want to be the vehicle in front of me when I'm 67 years old on a snowy day when the traffic suddenly stops and I'm driving my tractor-trailer weighing 75,000 lbs?

I've been sick most of my entire adult life so I don't plan on living a real long time. But, I can't trust our federal government for support. That's why I'm still a landlord after all these years and still contribute to our companies IRA plan just in case. I only wish I had all the money I (and my employers) put into Social Security and invested it myself. I would be able to retire early and have more money to spend.

I love these idiot threads....

the federal government runs the military, social security, the US mail, environmental regulation (or did until the orange sociopath).... anti-trust laws, anti-discrimination laws, medicare, Medicaid.... workplace safety, arts and science funding....

and that's just off the top of my head.

prior to social security over 50% of our senior citizens lived in poverty.

you know, all of the things that trump loons get cranky about

The question, jillian, is do they do any of that well? I submit that a two billion dollar airplane that can be knocked out of the sky by a bird strike is not a very good investment. I submit that Social Security is in debt up to it's eyeballs and that by the time my daughter would hope to be receiving her "benefits" she will be getting nothing for all of the tens of thousands that she will have "given" the government. The VA? How many dead veterans before their time does it take to wake you up on that issue? Or how about the billions in Medicare fraud that is allowed to occur every year?

You see jillian, it is not the fact that they do it, anyone can do a job using other peoples money. A monkey could do it. The question is do they do it well and arguably I can't think of a single program that the US government does now that can be considered a good job.

Ronald Reagan and The Great Social Security Heist : FedSmith.com

April 20, 1983, The day of shame.

Why did the theft NOT STOP under Carter, Clinton, Obama? Why is it an "untouchable" subject? Every American worker is being ROBBED TWICE for the same contribution.. How come NOBODY in leadership will even acknowledge the $30 or $40Bill deficits that are NOW "covered" by China buying NEW Treasury debt? Why did both parties and the media CONDONE the lie -- that there was anything valuable in the SS Trust Fund? 80% of America still BELIEVES that lie..

And since they not only mismanaged, but ROBBED that "Universal Program" and then largely LIED about it --- give me one good reason why we should trust them any NEW "Universal" anything..

It's because of incompetence and lack of leadership - that's why. The 2 parties just fight for control of the cash machine. YOU don't count for much. Neither do your reps in Congress.

YET -- Every day on USMB -- the partisan wars drone on. AS THO --- re-electing one corrupt dysfunctional team over the other is gonna MAKE the Massive overgrown govt more professional and effective.

And now, the truth.

Social Security Bunk - Again - FactCheck.org

Go start a thread about the $TRILLS of dollars in liquid assets in the SS Trust Fund. I'll end it by page3. Along with your belief in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Done this 5 times -- you and your fucking fact checker will lose. There is NOTHING with which to pay bills in the SS Trust fund. It's a book-keeping fiction for worthless IOUs. Nothing was "invested". No DEBT was recorded. It was stolen from you when they SPENT the surplus and made no debt entry on the treasury. And NOW they're making debt entries on the Treasury and you're paying to recover the money they STOLE FROM YOU -- with interest.

The true meaning of "dupe" is anyone that doesn't how the current SS shortfalls are paid for.. Or that they were robbed TWICE...

Both the SSA and CBO TELLS you this. It's on the back pages of EVERY annual SSA report. No ones reads the fine print..

Before you start that thread and you and your "factchecker" get demolished -- here's my opening and CLOSING gambit..

Federal Debt and Interest Costs

Gross debt, which comprises federal debt held by the public plus Treasury securities held by federal trust funds and other government accounts, is sometimes used to evaluate the government's overall fiscal situation. At the end of 2010, gross federal debt totaled $13.5 trillion--the $9.0 trillion in debt held by the public plus $4.5 trillion in debt held by government accounts. More than half of the latter amount is held by the Social Security trust funds. Because those trust funds and other government accounts are part of the federal government, transactions between them and the Treasury are intragovernmental; that is, the government securities in those funds are an asset to the individual programs but a liability to the rest of the government. The resources needed to redeem the government securities in the trust funds and other accounts in some future year must be generated from taxes, income from other government sources, or borrowing by the government in that year.

[It's now BORROWING from you to cover the money they stole from you]

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/history/pdf/tr09summary.pdf

Social Security’s annual surpluses
of tax income over expenditures are expected to fall sharply this
year and to stay about constant in 2010 because of the economic recession,
and to rise only briefly before declining and turning to cash flow
deficits beginning in 2016 that grow as the baby-boom generation retires.

The combined difference grows each year, so that by 2016, net revenue
flows from the general fund would total $369 billion (1.8 percent of
GDP). The positive amounts that begin in 2016 for OASDI, and started in
2008 for HI, initially represent payments the Treasury must make to the
trust funds when assets are depleted to help pay benefits in years prior to
exhaustion of the funds. Neither the redemption of trust fund bonds, nor
interest paid on those bonds, provides any new net income to the Treasury, which must finance redemptions and interest payments through some combination of increased taxation, reductions in other government spending, or additional borrowing from the public.

Go for it. Try telling folks there's $2Trill of ANYTHING valuable in the SS Trust Fund...

I'm done with that here..

Or even my job for instance. Do you want to be the vehicle in front of me when I'm 67 years old on a snowy day when the traffic suddenly stops and I'm driving my tractor-trailer weighing 75,000 lbs?

I've been sick most of my entire adult life so I don't plan on living a real long time. But, I can't trust our federal government for support. That's why I'm still a landlord after all these years and still contribute to our companies IRA plan just in case. I only wish I had all the money I (and my employers) put into Social Security and invested it myself. I would be able to retire early and have more money to spend.

Or having 68 year guys on my roof in the Summer laying tiles? I thought the left was more compassionate than that...

I love these idiot threads....

the federal government runs the military, social security, the US mail, environmental regulation (or did until the orange sociopath).... anti-trust laws, anti-discrimination laws, medicare, Medicaid.... workplace safety, arts and science funding....

and that's just off the top of my head.

prior to social security over 50% of our senior citizens lived in poverty.

you know, all of the things that trump loons get cranky about

Actually, Soc Sec is bankrupt because we allowed Congress to steal surpluses from working poor for 40 years and now the Treasury is floating NEW DEBT to cover the theft from the same victims. Most EVERYTHING you mentioned (except the US mail which they CLAIM isn't US anymore) has been poorly implemented, managed and for the most part UNDIRECTED by Congress for decades. When was the last big Anti-Trust case? The Feds have BY DESIGN forced MASSIVE consolidation in the Banking Industry and NOW they want to solve that.

Which is a LOT of what they do. Solving problems that THEY created. Or ignoring problems until they BECOME crises..

Social Security is still in the black for now. I don't know why supposedly intelligent people cannot see that holding on to surplus social security funds without investing them in the US Treasuries makes any sense.

The last big anti-trust case of which I am aware was Comcast trying to buy out Time-Warner Cable.
It didn't happen.

They run social programs very well and provide a safety net to many who need it.
Like he VA hospital? Post office?
Dude, the waste alone from those programs could probably get everyone out of the street.
There is a difference between doing something and doing something well.

The Post Office funds itself.

They run social programs very well and provide a safety net to many who need it.
Like he VA hospital? Post office?
Dude, the waste alone from those programs could probably get everyone out of the street.
There is a difference between doing something and doing something well.

The Post Office funds itself.
Ok lol

I don't know why you are laughing when it is true. Do some research and find out how many of your tax dollars it takes to send a letter. The answer is none.

Forum List

Back