what emojis need to be added?

LOL yeh, but where are those ones? never seen them.. except 2nd one

They are in the shortcode. Our emojis have always been a mess of disorganization and poor readability, even worse now with the new "emoji window" offered in the latest Xenforo which crams tiny emoji symbols tightly together in a hodgepodge like a bowl of grit. I haven't used the emoji dropdown box now in a couple years because of that reason. I offered to post a thread on the use of shortcode a couple years ago as a sticky but I couldn't get the senior mod interested.

They are in the shortcode. Our emojis have always been a mess of disorganization and poor readability, even worse now with the new "emoji window" offered in the latest Xenforo which crams tiny emoji symbols tightly together in a hodgepodge like a bowl of grit. I haven't used the emoji dropdown box now in a couple years because of that reason. I offered to post a thread on the use of shortcode a couple years ago as a sticky but I couldn't get the senior mod interested.
ok... I LOL at my ignorance of some of these terms.. (Xenforo.. etc)

I really don't u/stand all of this but I get the gist

ok... I LOL at my ignorance of some of these terms.. (Xenforo.. etc) I really don't u/stand all of this but I get the gist

OK, since you've asked sincerely and seem like a pretty nice guy, I'll explain.

XENFORO: That is the software this site runs on. The latest version instituted approximately February 2020 long before you arrived, its emoticon dropbox is more crowded and harder to sort through that the older version.

SHORTCODE: The actual code (text string) used in the background behind the text (like a shortcut) which gives an address to a particular image or gif to display or run. All shortcodes begin with a colon. At one point, some old mods worked overtime trying to find all they could for here but the problem is the sheer number is hard to sort through because they are small and unorganized, so long ago, I suggested focusing just on those emojis most people use most often to simplify it. A better idea would be a tool allowing to build a favorites list. Here is a chart of the major emoticons and categories I identified which lead to most areas of popular conversation by most people:

EMOTICONS.jpg

Most shortcodes above are pretty intuitive, such as if you are happy, type in : hap without any breaks in the text editor (used to reply to me) and you'll get four choices including :happy-1:

Some others are less intuitive like : 71 giving you someone chuckling. :71:

If you see an emoticon in someone's post or pick one off the emoticon box, you can also display its shortcode to learn it for yourself by replying to the post and/or toggling the BB code button by hitting this symbol in the upper right corner of the text editor:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.38.12 PM.png

shown while replying. That'll give you access to seeing the shortcode of any used. Of coarse, over time, you begin to remember the shortcodes of the ones you use most often till eventually, you learn 10, 20, 30 of them that you can recall at will, or write them down if you want to. Makes using them so much easier and faster than hunting through the dropbox.

You can also find others on the internet, save, drag and drop them here.

Enjoy!

What you need to do is become articulate enough so you don't need cartoon characters to enhance your argument.

Forum List

Back