What exactly are "Christian Values"?

I understand what you are saying Bode, and no, Christianity doesn't have a lock on love. It does have a lock on the man whose life exemplifies it though.
If you follow Christ's example you will lead a life of humbleness and gentleness and forgiveness of those who trespass against us. If you live like Christ did, you'll never hurt a living soul.
Think of a world where we all lived according to the life Christ adhered to.

I recommend reading the Bible.
Particularly the New Testament. And if you're averse to doing that, note the influences of Christianity all around you. The hospitals, schools, shelters, charities. Without even opening the Book, the humanitarian value of the faith should be apparent.

Is humanitarianism limited to "Christians" and their values?

I guess what I am wondering is...what are the values that are unique enough to Christians that they can be claimed as "Christian values" as opposed to simply..."decent human being values."
Christian values, whether shared, are at any rate, no doubt the values of this university.

Are you changing the premise of your thread now?

A Christian value:
Love your husband/wife the way Christ loves the church. The result of that Christian value would be a 0 divorce rate.

Again....is that limited or unique to Christians enough for the Christian church to claim it as a "Christian value"?

Sure ,just as anyone else can if they walk the walk.

Whats your point,your carefully dancing around?

It's a bait thread. She's looking for someone to start gay bashing or such

There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

They tell you what they are on their web site.
Look it up.
I get all sorts of literature from them and we have looked at their website.

So....I can put you down for "don't know". Ok.

A Christian value:
Love your husband/wife the way Christ loves the church. The result of that Christian value would be a 0 divorce rate.

Again....is that limited or unique to Christians enough for the Christian church to claim it as a "Christian value"?

Sure ,just as anyone else can if they walk the walk.

Whats your point,your carefully dancing around?

It's quite simple...what are the values that can be claimed as EXCLUSIVELY Christian enough to be labeled "Christian values"?

I recommend reading the Bible.

I have....I assume you would be referring to the NT when concerned with "christian" values, correct?

So...what would be a value expressly christian?

I think one thing non-religious people need to understand is that not all Christian entities are the same - the basic tenets are essentially the same, but some sects take things to the extreme and others don't. For example, some Baptists are way more extreme than others - dancing, drinking alcoholic beverages, playing cards are anathema. Other Baptists accept and participate in those activities. Some pastors scream fire and brimstone sermons from the rafters while others give sermons with depth, but do so in a quiet manner. Both are Christian because by definition Christians are believers in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Catholics are Christians - believers in Jesus Christ - but (having been a Catholic at one time) there is more emphasis placed on petitioning Mary for whatever their want, need, or prayer might be. Mary takes on any number of different names - Our Lady of Czestochowa, Our Lady of Lourdes, etc. Catholics also pray to various saints who are the "sponsors" (for lack of a better word) of various causes - for example, to St. Jude who is (I think) the patron saint of lost causes. Some people consider that idol worship and therefore hold a negative view of Catholicism.

Then there are the those who do the snake handling thing. I don't know - I think there's some mention somewhere in the Bible of grabbing hold of the vipers or something. The one thing I do know is that I'm not stepping foot inside a church where snakes are on the loose. But if they're happy, then I'm happy for them.

The bottom line is that each individual is responsible for himself and himself only when it comes to their belief in God. I understand that some people go around trying to get others to attend or join their church, but reality is that one person cannot "convert" or "save" another person.

So Christian values has many meanings to many people all of whom are believers in Jesus Christ. It's just a matter of interpretation of scripture.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying Bode, and no, Christianity doesn't have a lock on love. It does have a lock on the man whose life exemplifies it though.
If you follow Christ's example you will lead a life of humbleness and gentleness and forgiveness of those who trespass against us. If you live like Christ did, you'll never hurt a living soul.

Thank you for answering. However, that seems to be more "Christ values"as opposed to "Christian values". And....and this is a big point, Jesus comes off as a decent sort of guy, but is that kind of decency EXCLUSIVE to Christianity? Do they have a lock on that kind of values?

Particularly the New Testament. And if you're averse to doing that, note the influences of Christianity all around you. The hospitals, schools, shelters, charities. Without even opening the Book, the humanitarian value of the faith should be apparent.

Is humanitarianism limited to "Christians" and their values?

I guess what I am wondering is...what are the values that are unique enough to Christians that they can be claimed as "Christian values" as opposed to simply..."decent human being values."
Christian values, whether shared, are at any rate, no doubt the values of this university.

Are you changing the premise of your thread now?

Clarifying by what I'm really asking about....so, what is so unique about the values that are taught that one can only find in "Christian values"? You see...if one is going to label values "X values"....what is unique about "X" that makes their brand of values different than other more generic values?

A Christian value:

Yes it is unique enough. The way we treat our wives or husbands ends up with 50% of the couples divorcing, Christian or secular.

On the other hand, loving your husband or wife the way Christ loves His church would result in this type of relationship:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

See the difference?

Thank you for answering. However, that seems to be more "Christ values"as opposed to "Christian values". And....and this is a big point, Jesus comes off as a decent sort of guy, but is that kind of decency EXCLUSIVE to Christianity? Do they have a lock on that kind of values?

I've never been accused of being a Christian and I don't go to church but "having a lock" on Christian values does not mean that everyone else is excluded from being decent, loving, honest, etc. "Do unto others ... ," not committing adultery, not stealing, not murdering, etc. are things that all people can practice regardless of race, color or creed.

A Christian value:

Yes it is unique enough. The way we treat our wives or husbands ends up with 50% of the couples divorcing, Christian or secular.

On the other hand, loving your husband or wife the way Christ loves His church would result in this type of relationship:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

See the difference?
Yes, I see....but is that love uniquely Christian? I guess my problem with the "Christian values" comment is that it seems to imply that you don't have such value, such love UNLESS you are a Christian. Do they really believe that?

Understand?

Last edited:
Maybe this can be approached in a different way: there is so much smut, deviant behavior, unbridled hatred, cruelty of almost unimaginable proportion, and things that are the very antithesis of what is considered "Christian" or "decent" that it boggles. Perhaps "Christian values" is something of a misnomer and would be better marketed as "values that are not harmful to others."

I think the basic tenets of the New Testament amount to Christian values. A value is moral tenet by which a Christian measures his own steps in the sight of God. Jesus and Paul are especially emphatic concerning the "dos" and "don'ts" of a Christian's walk in life.

The "beatitudes" are one such list found in the early chapter of Mathew 5. "Blessed are the ..." Do all Christians attempt or yearn to walk such a path? Nope! I've known many Christians (believers in Christ) who walk as "the world" walks. Nevertheless, the true "values" of a Christian are found in the Bible (specifically the New Testament).

Christ left Christians with two great commandments:
1) Love God with all of our heart, mind, and soul.
2) Love our neighbor's as we love ourselves.

Paul discusses the importance of charity which he places at the top of the list. He also tells us not to do anything that would give the "appearance of evil."

Ok, are your two numbered values expressly Christian?

Let's look at #2 for a second.....does one have to be or study Christians/Christianity to have that value?

Not if other religions share those values. There may very well be other religions that teach very similar values. However, the Bible presents those values in a manner that is not shared by any other religion on earth. We're to humbly follow the Christian path in light of the fact that Jesus Christ shed His blood and died for our sins. No other religion teaches such a thing. So, in that sense, Christian values are expressly Christian because we embrace them as a matter of gratitude for what Christ did for us.

Maybe this can be approached in a different way: there is so much smut, deviant behavior, unbridled hatred, cruelty of almost unimaginable proportion, and things that are the very antithesis of what is considered "Christian" or "decent" that it boggles. Perhaps "Christian values" is something of a misnomer and would be better marketed as "values that are not harmful to others."

That sounds good....but it's not what that advertisement says. It's just struck me as odd...maybe even a bit arrogant...for someone to claim they have a lock on values by tagging them as "Christian values".

And to note, I would think it just as odd to hear an advertisement for a college declaring "Muslim values" or "Buddhist Values", etc.

I guess it's like those "Christian Mingle" adverts. They do the same thing.

I think the basic tenets of the New Testament amount to Christian values. A value is moral tenet by which a Christian measures his own steps in the sight of God. Jesus and Paul are especially emphatic concerning the "dos" and "don'ts" of a Christian's walk in life.

The "beatitudes" are one such list found in the early chapter of Mathew 5. "Blessed are the ..." Do all Christians attempt or yearn to walk such a path? Nope! I've known many Christians (believers in Christ) who walk as "the world" walks. Nevertheless, the true "values" of a Christian are found in the Bible (specifically the New Testament).

Christ left Christians with two great commandments:
1) Love God with all of our heart, mind, and soul.
2) Love our neighbor's as we love ourselves.

Paul discusses the importance of charity which he places at the top of the list. He also tells us not to do anything that would give the "appearance of evil."

Ok, are your two numbered values expressly Christian?

Let's look at #2 for a second.....does one have to be or study Christians/Christianity to have that value?

Not if other religions share those values. There may very well be other religions that teach very similar values. However, the Bible presents those values in a manner that is not shared by any other religion on earth. We're to humbly follow the Christian path in light of the fact that Jesus Christ shed His blood and died for our sins. No other religion teaches such a thing. So, in that sense, Christian values are expressly Christian because we embrace them as a matter of gratitude for what Christ did for us.

But don't Buddhists humbly follow a path too? Sounds like we have more of a difference in "how a religion came about" rather than values.

Forum List

Back