What exactly are "Christian Values"?

There is a distinction Bode, because divorce comes from not abiding in each other the way the Bible instructs us to. There is our way, and then there is Christ's way.

Can you imagine wanting to separate yourself from someone whose love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

My silly husband told me that since the Bible said so, I had to treat him like the head of the house. I told him when he started acting like Christ, the position is his. ;)

If I sent my child to a Christian school, I would rest assured that one of her classes wouldn't be Abortion, the sustaining of life:

'University Exhibit Celebrates Abortion as a 'Life-Sustaining Act'
A display at the University of Michigan is raising concern among pro-life groups nationwide as it celebrates abortion as a 'life-sustaining act' ...

There is a code of conduct laid out in proverbs and the other books of the Bible that if followed, the ills of the world would disappear. It sounds like the ad wants people to know that those tenets still have substance where they are concerned. Granny has a good point.

I recommend reading the Bible.
Particularly the New Testament. And if you're averse to doing that, note the influences of Christianity all around you. The hospitals, schools, shelters, charities. Without even opening the Book, the humanitarian value of the faith should be apparent.
I don't think good hospitals and schools are necessarily identified with Christianity. In Japan where 84% of the nation claim no religion and less than .7% claim to be Christians, they sport some of best hospitals and best longevity of any country. Their schools are general more modern than US schools and produce students that consistently out score US student.

The US has long prided itself on it's generosity with charitable giving topping 29 billion a year, greater than any other country, however the US is also the wealthiest country on earth. If you look at the average amount individuals give to charity in the US each year it's much less than many countries. I don't think charitable giving can be identified as an exclusive Christian value.

There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

Basically traditional values devoid of Socio-facist Agendas , but tripe full of antiquated supertitons, gospel and religious voo-doo.

There is a distinction Bode, because divorce comes from not abiding in each other the way the Bible instructs us to. There is our way, and then there is Christ's way.

Can you imagine wanting to separate yourself from someone whose love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

My silly husband told me that since the Bible said so, I had to treat him like the head of the house. I told him when he started acting like Christ, the position is his. ;)

Excellent retort. :D

But don't Buddhists humbly follow a path too? Sounds like we have more of a difference in "how a religion came about" rather than values.

There is a fundamental difference between Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. and Christianity. Most religions are expressly "works based" religions. That is to say that they generally teach that one can "work" his way into a higher state of existence or "nirvana." Not so with Christianity. Christianity teaches that we are doomed to eternal death if left to our own devices. That's why Christ willingly died on the cross. His sacrifice paid the penalty for our sin which opened the door to eternal salvation. When the depth and scope of His deed is fully understood one is left with a deep sense of awe and heart-felt humility. No other religion presents the believer with a literal Savior.

Therefore, Christian values are held close to the heart by the truly humble and grateful Christian.

But don't Buddhists humbly follow a path too? Sounds like we have more of a difference in "how a religion came about" rather than values.

There is a fundamental difference between Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. and Christianity. Most religions are expressly "works based" religions. That is to say that they generally teach that one can "work" his way into a higher state of existence or "nirvana." Not so with Christianity. Christianity teaches that we are doomed to eternal death if left to our own devices. That's why Christ willingly died on the cross. His sacrifice paid the penalty for our sin which opened the door to eternal salvation. When the depth and scope of His deed is fully understood one is left with a deep sense of awe and heart-felt humility. No other religion presents the believer with a literal Savior.

Therefore, Christian values are held close to the heart by the truly humble and grateful Christian.

Don't some branches of Christianity believe that "good works" is what gets one into heaven as supposed to simply believing in a christ?

Accept what you're told as the absolute truth and don't ask questions.

Really? Because the scriptures are pretty clear that we are to prove all things. And encourage us to ask questions and seek wisdom.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8)

Sums up Christian values nicely.

Don't some branches of Christianity believe that "good works" is what gets one into heaven as supposed to simply believing in a christ?
There's some difference here between denominations. Some believe that if one does not attempt to live by Christian principals, they were never truly a Christian. Also some believe one can not fall from grace; that is “once saved—always saved.” The idea is that once you have accepted Christ and had your sins taken away, you can never be lost, no matter what you do. Others do not accept this.

Also, many interpret the verse from John, "In my Father's house there are many mansions" to mean that there are differ levels in heaven so a really bad Christian might get's a shack in the burbs and a good christian get's a swanky place just down the street from apostles or whatever.

Christians have a lot of different beliefs but all have one common belief, one is saved by acceptance of Christ as savior.

Oh boy, here we go, but yes, some do believe that. Some believe it is a combination of works and Christ dying for their sins that is required to enter Heaven. The Pope believes that. They are wrong. He is wrong. :eek:

Works and salvation are two separate actions with 2 separate results. Works have nothing to do with going to Heaven. If they do, then Christ's work on the cross was incomplete. It means His blood only partially covers.

God is required to be 100% just, and yet is expected to be 100% merciful concerning our iniquities and to keep His promise to remember our sins no more. Through Christ, He can be both. A just judge, and a forgiving Father. There is only one way to be both.

What just judge on earth or in heaven would sentence a man to death for his hideous crimes, then walk outside and haul a perfectly innocent passer-by into the courtroom, charge him with the same crime and sentence him to death also? Condemning both for the same infraction would be an injustice.
Jesus is that passer-by that said, Judge, I'll agree to be condemned in my brother's place, if you let him go. The Judge agreed to the terms.

Our sins were visited once and for all at that cross, which is why God remembers them no more. They no longer exist.
It is why He can say, (IF WE CONFESS our crimes and Ask to be forgiven), "I will be 100% merciful regarding your iniquities. They have already been paid for. Justice was already served. Come in. Let's talk about the things you did on earth for my Son's sake. I reward those works."

Keep in mind, that if you don't ask for the propitiation of Christ, you retain your crimes. Your record is not blotted out with the blood of Christ. They are still visible to the judge.

And don't think He can be fooled. He can see your heart. Repentance is to dislike what you did so much that you walk away from that behavior, to prevent grieving your Father any more than you already have. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

There are some upstart branches of Christianity that place more importance on "works" as a means of "pleasing God" than other branches. The Hebrew Roots/Messianic Judaism branches believe that Christians must keep the Old Testament laws. They will blow trumpets on the new moon; keep the Old Testament feasts; rest on Saturday; abstain from pork, etc. I have nothing against them doing what they see fit but it isn't a requirement under the New Covenant written in Christ's blood.

Did Christ die on the cross to save my grandson from eternal hell because of his sin? I am curious about that, because he is 2 years old. Why is god so pissed off at a 2 year old? Because he spilled his milk while in his high chair?

Good "values" of Christianity:

Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Here, Paul provides a divide between a "good value" and one to be avoided:

Romans 8:5, "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

Here, Christ presents some "values" to be avoided. They are NOT Christian values:

Matthew 15:18-19, "But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:"

Did Christ die on the cross to save my grandson from eternal hell because of his sin? I am curious about that, because he is 2 years old. Why is god so pissed off at a 2 year old? Because he spilled his milk while in his high chair?

Yes. Christ died for all of us and to cleanse us all of our sins (including your grandson). I don't think that spilling milk is a sin, however.

Your grandson is under the age of accountability so even if for some reason he passed away prematurely (God forbid) he would not be held accountable for his sin nature. However, for a person who has reached the age of accountability one must accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior before His sacrifice will be of any eternal effect upon that person. Christ says that them who deny Him are condemned. It's one of those tenets that many modern Churches like to ignore.

John 3:18, "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Christian values depends on the Christian you ask. Each has differing views, so how that college could state they practice it is beyond me.

Yes. Christ died for all of us and to cleanse us all of our sins (including your grandson). I don't think that spilling milk is a sin, however.

Your grandson is under the age of accountability so even if for some reason he passed away prematurely (God forbid) he would not be held accountable for his sin nature. However, for a person who has reached the age of accountability one must accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior before His sacrifice will be of any eternal effect upon that person. Christ says that them who deny Him are condemned. It's one of those tenets that many modern Churches like to ignore.

John 3:18, "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Interesting. I've read the Bible cover to cover three times, and I never once remember reading anything about "age of accountability".

Source?

No. Christ died on the cross because when your grandson is 14, he's going to shoot a little heroin, steal grandpa's bike, rob a convenient store, killing the manager..........

Do you believe that your grandson will live a completely sinless life? If not, you may want to introduce him to the man that loved your grandson enough to die to keep him out of court and out of the justice system altogether.

Oh and Pops, Jesus loved sonny's grandfather first. Could you benefit from a little forgiveness? The ability to receive it was made available 2,000 years ago. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

Unfortunately, for most on the social right, ‘Christian values’ means a dogma of hostility toward gay Americans and their civil rights, hostility toward Establishment Clause jurisprudence that correctly mandates a separation of church and state as required by the Framers, and hostility toward facts and objective scientific evidence that conflicts with that errant, subjective religious dogma.

Christians are of course at liberty to believe whatever they wish, and practice their faith however they see fit; they are not, however, at liberty to seek to codify their religious dogma in secular laws all must obey.

Forum List

Back