What exactly are "Christian Values"?

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8)

Sums up Christian values nicely.

Pity a significant number of Christians – likely the majority – don’t abide by those values.

And such values are not unique to Christianity, they’re ancient and universal, practiced by all, including those free from faith.

Exactly.

You used to be able to read "Christian values" before the jack booted thugs smashed the Ten Commandments off the wall in at least one court house and ordered the demolition of several monuments because "Christian values" offended agnostics and atheists. .

Dang.

There's that hatred for our pesky Constitution again.

Its just SO inconvenient, isn't it.

Talk the talk but -

Walk the walk?

Not so much.

This thread is funny. Our resident "christians" post completely differently in Religion than they do in other forums. Its like they forget all the horrible things they say in other forums when they're in this forum.

Elsewhere, they're all about taking from the poor and giving to the rich, let children and the elderly starve while accusing them of buying yachts with their food stamps and voting to end the middle class.

Here, there all love thy brother and follow Jesus' teachings and junk.

Fun reading but they'll all be back to normal in the other forums.

Can't speak for others and don't normally "blow my own horn" where charity is concerned but I give routinely to the Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, and the Denver Rescue Mission. I also help the old lady who lives next door to me by driving her to the grocery store and letting her use my trash container because she can't afford the high price of trash pick up in our neighborhood. I could go on but I am a true believer in helping folks in need. I just don't like the government legislating who I give to. When they take my money for their causes I am less able to help out MY causes.

GYMIS, who says he's a real christian, says if its not 10%, its not enough.

Talk the talk but -

Walk the walk?

Not so much.

This thread is funny. Our resident "christians" post completely differently in Religion than they do in other forums. Its like they forget all the horrible things they say in other forums when they're in this forum.

Elsewhere, they're all about taking from the poor and giving to the rich, let children and the elderly starve while accusing them of buying yachts with their food stamps and voting to end the middle class.

Here, there all love thy brother and follow Jesus' teachings and junk.

Fun reading but they'll all be back to normal in the other forums.

Can't speak for others and don't normally "blow my own horn" where charity is concerned but I give routinely to the Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, and the Denver Rescue Mission. I also help the old lady who lives next door to me by driving her to the grocery store and letting her use my trash container because she can't afford the high price of trash pick up in our neighborhood. I could go on but I am a true believer in helping folks in need. I just don't like the government legislating who I give to. When they take my money for their causes I am less able to help out MY causes.

GYMIS, who says he's a real christian, says if its not 10%, its not enough.

I can't speak for him. I give when I can and what I can. I don't keep tabs and I don't use charity as a tax write-off. The 10% rule is derived from the Old Testament "tithe" which means "tenth." I don't condemn anyone for giving with a pure heart and with a desire to help folks in need. I don't keep a tally of what others do. What every individual does is between him/her and God. For the record, I live paycheck to paycheck and am not rich. I've never been rich and I never will be rich. I don't seek material wealth as it will someday decay and fade away. The reward I seek has a much longer life span.

Anyway, I've said about all I can say. I don't expect to change anyone's mind. This is a forum where everyone already knows everything. I've tried to remain civil but I'm starting to see a change in "scenery" here. Hope I answered the OP's question.

It seems the meaning of Christian Values varies quite a bit depending which side of the aisle you reside.

Modern use in worldwide right-wing politics
  • censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television.
  • the desirability of laws against induced abortion
  • sexual abstinence outside of marriage and abstinence-only education
  • the promotion of intelligent design to be taught in public schools and colleges as an alternative to evolution.
  • the desirability of laws against same-sex marriage
  • support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society
  • the desirability of organized prayer in public schools

Modern use in worldwide liberal politics
  • support for a culture of empathy and compassion, seen as central to Christianity among a diverse range of religions and worldviews; favoring individuals, families (of all compositions) and small communities' interests over the interests of large corporations and the powerful;
  • protection of the environment as the product of a deep reverence for God's creation;
  • the undesirability of war other than as a last resort, and a respect for diplomacy;
  • a living wage for all, seen as a mark of concern for the physical welfare of "the least among us"
  • a high, progressive income tax to promote greater income equality in keeping with Jesus' words in support of the poor and against excessive riches;
  • promoting separation of church and state and religious tolerance, consistent with the concept of Christ's kingdom not being "of this world" and warnings against the hunger for potentially corrupting temporal power throughout the Bible.

Christian values - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I've said about all I can say. I don't expect to change anyone's mind. This is a forum where everyone already knows everything. I've tried to remain civil but I'm starting to see a change in "scenery" here. Hope I answered the OP's question.

You did....but is it "values" or is it "dogma"....as in teaching "christian dogma"? Thank you for participating.

Values are Good versus Evil and Christians don't have "Good Values" copy righted.

And thank (insert your preferred Deity here) that no religion can claim the exclusive ability to direct a Monkey in the path of living a life of "Good Values".
:thup:

"First of all, the Old Testament wasn't written to the "Jews" exclusively. No man that existed prior to Jacob's/Israel's son, Judah, could be considered a "Jew." Abraham was not a Jew nor was Adam, Noah, Able, Seth, and any other man who preceded the single man named "Judah." Secondly, when God made a covenant with the Israelites He made it with 12 tribes. Judah (Jews) only made up one of those twelve tribes."

My Bible does not contain any books written by any of these men, who are probably mythical folk tales, anyway...but let me know if my printer shortchanged me and left some books out of my copy.

I know that that sounds a little disrespectful, but I can not believe that anyone thinks that the Old Testament was not written by Jews for Jews. I am not a Jew, and therefore the OT has no more impact on me that Confucius does.

Sums up Christian values nicely.

Are those values exclusive to Christians and Christianity?

Why does a value have to be exclusive to Christianity to be a Christian value? You wanted to know what Christian values are. You didn't ask for what values are exclusively Christian.

You bring up the crux of my puzzlement. Why say they are Christian values if they are not exclusive to Christianity?

A lot of thoughts of explanations have been posted on this thread as to the meaning of Christian values and the OP doesn't seem to either understand or accept any of them. It seems like the situation boils down to the equivalent of what the meaning of "is" is and that is just a never ending argument.

A lot of thoughts of explanations have been posted on this thread as to the meaning of Christian values and the OP doesn't seem to either understand or accept any of them. It seems like the situation boils down to the equivalent of what the meaning of "is" is and that is just a never ending argument.

I accept that they exist...my issues are twofold...are they exclusive to Christianity? If they are not unique to Christianity, why try to take exclusive credit for them? Second...some things that are being toted as Christian values, imo are really Christian dogma....not a value but a description of what Christians believe to be considered Christian......and even then, there is disagreement among some Christians posting here.

Judge others.
Try to convert those of other beliefs (including other Christian sects different from yours), for their beliefs are certainly wrong.
Cherry-pick the biblical passages you like and reject those you don't.
Condemn those whose lifestyle differs from yours.
If people refuse to believe in any invisible, all-powerful, all-knowing, supernatural being, speak hatred towards them.

I understand what you are saying Bode, and no, Christianity doesn't have a lock on love. It does have a lock on the man whose life exemplifies it though.
If you follow Christ's example you will lead a life of humbleness and gentleness and forgiveness of those who trespass against us. If you live like Christ did, you'll never hurt a living soul.
Think of a world where we all lived according to the life Christ adhered to.

Thank you for answering. However, that seems to be more "Christ values"as opposed to "Christian values". And....and this is a big point, Jesus comes off as a decent sort of guy, but is that kind of decency EXCLUSIVE to Christianity? Do they have a lock on that kind of values?

I've never been accused of being a Christian and I don't go to church but "having a lock" on Christian values does not mean that everyone else is excluded from being decent, loving, honest, etc. "Do unto others ... ," not committing adultery, not stealing, not murdering, etc. are things that all people can practice regardless of race, color or creed.

I accept that they exist...my issues are twofold...are they exclusive to Christianity? If they are not unique to Christianity, why try to take exclusive credit for them? Second...some things that are being toted as Christian values, imo are really Christian dogma....not a value but a description of what Christians believe to be considered Christian......and even then, there is disagreement among some Christians posting here.

I'm choosing one of my previous posts although MANY other posts have explained this very well. If the issues you have with the subject of Christian values is going to be an issue severe enough to cripple or ruin the rest of your life you need to get answers or help from someone far more professional than any of us can give you. Just my opinion.

You used to be able to read "Christian values" before the jack booted thugs smashed the Ten Commandments off the wall in at least one court house and ordered the demolition of several monuments because "Christian values" offended agnostics and atheists. .

Dang.

There's that hatred for our pesky Constitution again.

Its just SO inconvenient, isn't it.

Is that why you support those trying to overthrow it?

Forum List

Back