What exactly are "Christian Values"?

Why does a value have to be exclusive to Christianity to be a Christian value? You wanted to know what Christian values are. You didn't ask for what values are exclusively Christian.

You bring up the crux of my puzzlement. Why say they are Christian values if they are not exclusive to Christianity?
That's an interesting point. Christians do have a monopoly on morality which probably prompted the Right to adopt the term family values.

They do?

Was Paul an expert?
Why do you laugh at what he lists as defining Christian values?
Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.
You don't demonstrate these on the threads you participate in.
Why?
Are these not Christian values? Was Paul wrong?

But are those EXCLUSIVE to Christians? That's what I'm trying to find out.
No of course not.
I'm on your side in this debate.
Just pointing out his blatant hypocrisy.

Ah...I see. Rereading your post...sorry I misunderstood.

As for "my side"....I'm more on the side of inquiry in this case.

I understand what you are saying Bode, and no, Christianity doesn't have a lock on love. It does have a lock on the man whose life exemplifies it though.
If you follow Christ's example you will lead a life of humbleness and gentleness and forgiveness of those who trespass against us. If you live like Christ did, you'll never hurt a living soul.
Think of a world where we all lived according to the life Christ adhered to.

You sure?

Luke 19

27"But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence."

There is a distinction Bode, because divorce comes from not abiding in each other the way the Bible instructs us to. There is our way, and then there is Christ's way.

Can you imagine wanting to separate yourself from someone whose love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

My silly husband told me that since the Bible said so, I had to treat him like the head of the house. I told him when he started acting like Christ, the position is his. ;)

Sometimes it just doesn't work out between people.

It doesn't necessarily mean that they did anything wrong.

But don't Buddhists humbly follow a path too? Sounds like we have more of a difference in "how a religion came about" rather than values.

There is a fundamental difference between Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. and Christianity. Most religions are expressly "works based" religions. That is to say that they generally teach that one can "work" his way into a higher state of existence or "nirvana." Not so with Christianity. Christianity teaches that we are doomed to eternal death if left to our own devices. That's why Christ willingly died on the cross. His sacrifice paid the penalty for our sin which opened the door to eternal salvation. When the depth and scope of His deed is fully understood one is left with a deep sense of awe and heart-felt humility. No other religion presents the believer with a literal Savior.

Therefore, Christian values are held close to the heart by the truly humble and grateful Christian.

He didn't willingly die on the cross.

He was caught and executed.

Also he said "why have you forsaken me?" He didn't want to die.

Aside from that human sacrifice is strictly forbidden in Judaism.

Also, he wasn't a sacrifice. You didn't sacrifice anything because jesus was executed. You personally didn't give up anything.

We are all responsible for repenting for our own sins.

No. Christ died on the cross because when your grandson is 14, he's going to shoot a little heroin, steal grandpa's bike, rob a convenient store, killing the manager..........

Do you believe that your grandson will live a completely sinless life? If not, you may want to introduce him to the man that loved your grandson enough to die to keep him out of court and out of the justice system altogether.

Oh and Pops, Jesus loved sonny's grandfather first. Could you benefit from a little forgiveness? The ability to receive it was made available 2,000 years ago. :eusa_angel:

Well, my problem stems from, among other things, the fact that Christian doctrine makes no scense whatever. As I understand it, God created man with the ability to make his own decisions, all the while already knowing that his creation is steeped in sin, and thus a flawed creation, and doomed to hell for eternity, he blames that on us, too, ignoring his own part in creating a flawed man. But, if we follow certain guidelines in a man written book, the Bible, we can be salvaged. If not, his creation will burn in hell for eternity, but he LOVES us!

I'm afraid your problem stems from a lack of understanding.

Christian doctrine regarding our eternal souls:
The punishment for sin is death.
Christ agreed to pay for our sins in our place, so we would be spared judgment and sentencing.
Our souls live and live abundantly, eternally. :eusa_angel:
It makes perfect sense to a sinner.

Actually most sins have very specific punishments attributed to them.

Where do you get that the punishment for every sin is death?

:eek: You mean you don't know what they are?? How do you then taunt and belittle Christians on the board and point out when they're supposedly not following them? Not doing what Jesus would do? I thought all you atheists were absolute experts on what 'Christian values' were?? And now the truth finally comes out that you have no damn clue! Go figure... :lol:

Who said I was an atheist? Here you are, jumping to a conclusion all on your own...Is anyone who doesn't toe what you think is the Christian line an "atheist"?

What are you then... Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God as it is Written?

:)

peace...

Honest Question, Bodey... You capable of Answering Honestly in the Religion Forum or are you just Trolling here?

:)

peace...

Ok, are your two numbered values expressly Christian?

Let's look at #2 for a second.....does one have to be or study Christians/Christianity to have that value?

Where has anyone said that certain moral standards are 'expressly Christian', you set up a strawman, then attack it. Nice job!

Believing that Christ is your Savior, and the path to salvation and eternal life.

All other 'values' can be adhered to by anyone that doesn't have that one. Satisfied?

Perfect.
You have confirmed there is no reason to use the term "Christian values" other than believing Christ is your savior.
Now you are on the same side.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

So what? Does that mean that you 'win' or something? Is this some kind of game to you or something? You're all a bunch of mindless children. :cuckoo: Don't call them 'Christian values' then, no one is forcing you too, and no one cares... but you... :eusa_shhh:

Where has anyone said that certain moral standards are 'expressly Christian', you set up a strawman, then attack it. Nice job!

Believing that Christ is your Savior, and the path to salvation and eternal life.

All other 'values' can be adhered to by anyone that doesn't have that one. Satisfied?

Perfect.
You have confirmed there is no reason to use the term "Christian values" other than believing Christ is your savior.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

So what? Does that mean that you 'win' or something? Is this some kind of game to you or something? You're all a bunch of mindless children. :cuckoo: Don't call them 'Christian values' then, no one is forcing you too, and no one cares... but you... :eusa_shhh:

No need to get angry over this....the OP was about a commercial from a College referring to teaching "Christian Values"...just trying to find out what that would mean....exactly.

So...then are they really "Jewish values"?

They are jewish values.

They come from the jewish bible.

But the school claims they are Christian Values.

So the fuck what?????? No one cares but you! Do you get that yet??? :lol:

My God, you people are so bent in your destruction and hatred that you don't see yourselves for the petty ridiculous trolls that you are!

No, not really.The principle tenet of Christianity is to put God above all.

That's a tenet.....would it be considered a value? And if so, is it exclusive to Christianity?

The values follow.

Now. Yawn. A bait thread by the site's least imaginative troll, in the religion forum. Awesome.

Values don't always follow tenets. Or are you saying that we cannot have any values without tenets of a particular religious faith?

Perfect.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

Concession accepted.

Perfect.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

No need to get angry over this....the OP was about a commercial from a College referring to teaching "Christian Values"...just trying to find out what that would mean....exactly.

Angry? :lol: You're the angry one, getting on your high horse claiming that there is no such thing as 'christian values', and demanding that we all admit it. Cause I guess it will make you feel better, validated in some way? Give me a break.. You're the one obviously seeking something, affirmation or whatever, like I said, seek help!

Perfect.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

Concession accepted.

Good for you! Do you feel better, have I validated you now? Who controls who here? :lol:

Perfect.
Why the aggressive tone?
You agree.

Sure you were. Because you have no idea. Just looking for info.

:eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

Bait thread.

Forum List

Back