What exactly is omicron N969K?

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
What exactly is N969K, and what is the significance of it with Omicron?

What exactly is N969K, and what is the significance of it with Omicron?
How about this?
N969K, D796Y, N440K...? You may have seen these strange code-like combinations of numbers and letters used to describe mutations when people are talking about the omicron variant. The letters are a code for which amino acid, building blocks for protein, a piece of genetic code tells the cell to make and the number sandwiched between them is the location in the gene where that switch has taken place. So, for example, N440K, a mutation in the spike protein of the omicron variant describes how a mutation at position 440 has changed amino acid N (Asparagine - the abbreviations are not always logical...) to a K, or Lysine. The name does not give any information other than the location and what the switch is.

How about this?
N969K, D796Y, N440K...? You may have seen these strange code-like combinations of numbers and letters used to describe mutations when people are talking about the omicron variant. The letters are a code for which amino acid, building blocks for protein, a piece of genetic code tells the cell to make and the number sandwiched between them is the location in the gene where that switch has taken place. So, for example, N440K, a mutation in the spike protein of the omicron variant describes how a mutation at position 440 has changed amino acid N (Asparagine - the abbreviations are not always logical...) to a K, or Lysine. The name does not give any information other than the location and what the switch is.
Does this mean that the original recipe and delta both share N969K with Omicron?

Does this mean that the original recipe and delta both share N969K with Omicron?
Not to my understanding. My read would say that at position 969, amino acid N has been changed to amino acid K. Mind you I have no idea where position 969 is on the genetic strand is or what chaining from Aspergine to Lysine does to the overall function of the thread. I figure in my ancient country boy logic, that might be like your mother-in-law wearing a fake mustache. You would still recognize the old battle axe, but if she wears it all the time, she would probably act slightly different in other ways, though, as I said, you would probably recognize her and have some experience with her usual barbs, but need to be careful, as to what she might come up with now or next.

Not to my understanding. My read would say that at position 969, amino acid N has been changed to amino acid K. Mind you I have no idea where position 969 is on the genetic strand is or what chaining from Aspergine to Lysine does to the overall function of the thread. I figure in my ancient country boy logic, that might be like your mother-in-law wearing a fake mustache. You would still recognize the old battle axe, but if she wears it all the time, she would probably act slightly different in other ways, though, as I said, you would probably recognize her and have some experience with her usual barbs, but need to be careful, as to what she might come up with now or next.
It will be interesting to see if anybody here is able to clarify if there is anything significant about the N969K mutation of omicron.

It will be interesting to see if anybody here is able to clarify if there is anything significant about the N969K mutation of omicron.
Why should they be able? Just how many molecular/genetic biologists hang out on the US Message Board?

Why should they be able? Just how many molecular/genetic biologists hang out on the US Message Board?
I suppose that if there was any significance of N969K and Omicron, CNN would have already made the world aware of it, right?

I suppose that if there was any significance of N969K and Omicron, CNN would have already made the world aware of it, right?
They did.

What was it?
More easily transmissible.
1640187731000.png

So what you are saying here is that CNN has made it clear that the significance of N969K is that N969K is what makes Omicron more transmissable?
That and whatever other amino acid changes, yet unidentified, appear to increase transmissibility. It probably has drawbacks, also. I have heard it does not appear to be quite as virulent. So with change there may be a plus side for people that are protected to an extent from the original strain that makes up the majority of the strand. If you have no resistance to the original, you may be screwed. You won't know it, until you catch it. Texas had it's first death, due to the Omicron variant. I doubt, the guy or the doctors treating, the guy who died knew he had little resistance, until it was too late. Maybe you'll get lucky?

I don't think I've gained any new knowledge about the significance of N969K in connection to Omicron.

I don't think I've gained any new knowledge about the significance of N969K in connection to Omicron.
Then you need to do a USMB search and start your scientific education on this Omicron mutation, because it's the only proven vaccine-linked mutation in the SARS-CoV-2 spike. Note the dates when this info was first posted: ' N969K'

Forum List

Back