CDZ What facts have we about the state of the U.S. economy today?

As my friend at the gym, who works for Bank of America, told me, we are in a housing bubble because banks need fees and commissions.
I have spoken to at least a dozen mortgage brokers in my Temple and they're expecting a crash within a year.

What crashes?

If we take your friend's account that banks still don't have what they are essentially established upon, we don't even have an economy to be measured by a state.

I live in Nassau County and there has been, for the last 6 months or so, an explosion of both Commercial and Residential building.
Mortgages are being handed out to people on welfare (I'm NOT kidding) and kids becoming computer programmers who don't even have college degrees.
My relatives and friends across the country are seeing the same thing.
This in not sustainable.

You didn't answer my question.

Then I didn't get your gist.
Banks package securities for other financial entities and then sell the management to someone else before the security blows up.
The Bank gets fees and commissions and doesn't care about the future stability or success of the security.
If you don't get that, I can't help you.

here is a few more inconvenient facts, sorry to interrupt your little celebration

fredgraph.png

Federal reserve balance sheet as a percent GDP

Federal-Reserve-Balance-Sheet.png

Fed funds rate

640px-Federal_Funds_Rate_1954_thru_2009_effective.svg.png

I'm left wing, but I think these stats are the ones that matter most. I certainly think Obama did better then his Republican competitors would have done, but that doesn't mean he's actually saving the economy from another meltdown.

Banks package securities for other financial entities and then sell the management to someone else before the security blows up.
The Bank gets fees and commissions and doesn't care about the future stability or success of the security.

Your first mentioned information source for banks was a friend at a gym.

Not discrediting your friend, your referral to them proves to me that if you are to have such a serious perspective about a crash you would ought to have a more credible source to make our debate at least possibly providing.

Granted, you did not know it would be possible to have the debate providing.

That being said, are you 100% sure and positive (pose-at-eve, not in the + sense, since we haven't begun our providing) that banks SELL their management, eventually to be substituted by another "work-shopper employee" because the last one failed to not only continue the business, but to completely neglect the reason for the business existing? You realize anyone can make money out of anything? Wood, metal, what have you?

Banks don't get fees and commissions, they consent to it after assessing the certainty of future stability. Security is an industry preceding financial operations. Are you okay when you aren't thinking about your account which has to be thought of at some point? Yeah, you thought about your account.

You can help me just by saying you don't understand, or saying nothing for that matter. That's because I am open to receive your help, just like the "problem banks" opening tomorrow again in the morning, and also because I respect you by not taking whatever you got that at one point you thought I would also require to then be helped by you.

Your concern with finances is safety? Then provide. Make a pretty drawing and give it to a stranger, it's safe, learn. I am here for you. I am waiting your reply. Draw mine again, please.

Last edited:

Not discrediting your friend, your referral to them proves to me that if you are to have such a serious perspective about a crash you would ought to have a more credible source to make our debate at least possibly providing.

That being said, are you 100% sure and positive (pose-at-eve, not in the + sense, since we haven't begun our providing) that banks SELL their management, eventually to be substituted by another "work-shopper employee" because the last one failed to not only continue the business, but to completely neglect the reason for the business existing? You realize anyone can make money out of anything? Wood, metal, what have you?

Banks don't get fees and commissions, they consent to it after assessing the certainty of future stability. Security is an industry preceding financial operations. Are you okay when you aren't thinking about your account which has to be thought of at some point? Yeah, you thought about your account.

You can help me just by saying you don't understand, or saying nothing for that matter. That's because I am open to receive it, and respect you by not taking whatever you got that you at one point thought I would also require to then be helped.

Your concern with finances is safety? Then provide? Make a pretty drawing and give it to a stranger, it's safe, learn.

For instance, my Mortgage MANAGED by Wells-Fargo.
Wells-Fargo sends me notices and provides a web site and an App for managing my mortgage.
Wells-Fargo does not OWN the actual Principal Payment or Interest on the Mortgage Payment.
Wells-Fargo DOES get a monthly fee for collecting the money and transferring over to the owner of the Security.

You can help me just by saying you don't understand, or saying nothing for that matter. That's because I am open to receive your help, just like the "problem banks" opening tomorrow again in the morning, and also because I respect you by not taking whatever you got that at one point you thought I would also require to then be helped by you.

Your concern with finances is safety? Then provide. Make a pretty drawing and give it to a stranger, it's safe, learn. I am here for you. I am waiting your reply. Draw mine again, please.

I have read your post again and I believe you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
During the GW Housing Bubble Banks and their underwriters bypassed the software that evaluated Risk.
Everything was hand signed and the Bank used their depositers money to give the Loan.
The Banks then ran as fast as possible to the European and Asian markets to sell these MBS and retain the rights to collect Fees for managing the payments.

If you dispute this fact, you haven't read an article after the crash and have no friends in the business.
Nobody went out of their way to tell me this.
I read a lot and asked a lot of Mortgage Bankers and Brokers.

I have read your post again and I believe you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
During the GW Housing Bubble Banks and their underwriters bypassed the software that evaluated Risk.
Everything was hand signed and the Bank used their depositers money to give the Loan.
The Banks then ran as fast as possible to the European and Asian markets to sell these MBS and retain the rights to collect Fees for managing the payments.

If you dispute this fact, you haven't read an article after the crash and have no friends in the business.

For those who don't want to read so much, they may want to just watch Sony Pictures' film "Inside Job". Even the trailer speaks volumes in my view...

I am not disputing the fact of your experience, as mistaken as it might have been.

But phoenyx is right. A lot is not enough when it comes to knowing, and you can't simply expect to always be served for your comfort without putting a similar amount of work that took to provide that comfort for you (and not simply the numbers representing the value of the work). Housing isn't only wood, brick, concrete and plumage, it's land, it's power generation. That's why you and the people you are relating to can't recognize anything other than a crisis many times already gone through third party management and stalling crashes.

The economy doesn't stop, it doesn't stall, it doesn't crash, it doesn't lack or deprive in Security. To follow up with its continuous development reading a lot and being involved in social activities isn't enough. Work that can serve those who serve you is also required - and that's not just numbers symbolizing work, that's actual work necessary.

Hiring someone to clean your office isn't working for them. Not even when you give them money for it. That's what makes the so-called "inflation bubble" happen in any industry, when money is simply passed around and work isn't mutual.

"We get your money, you don't get ours. You get our work, we don't get yours."

"You get my money, I don't get yours. I get your work, you don't get mine."

But it's one currency, and one economy.

Last edited:

I am not disputing the fact of your experience, as mistaken as it might have been.

But phoenyx is right.

Wait, what is it that you're saying that I'm right about :p?

every American needs to understand that we are in the middle of a massive new monetary experiment, if you believe in god then pray it works

How is that so?

The monetary system doesn't seem functioning to me by or through experiments and prayer doesn't seem to be given by or through chance.

zero percent interest rates for 7 years and $3 Trillion in QE is new and experimental

Who is enforcing the mathematics inlaid with those numbers, so that every American would have to need, and be fulfilled, in the understanding of your suggestion?

The federal reserve is driving the bus here, we are in an unprecedented era of monetary policy, that should color every notion of how well we are or not doing. Fiscal policy likewise to some degree.

For example if Obama spent $1T in deficit stimulus, the fed monetized it, and GDP grew by $0.5T then I would call that sort of desperate. Others just look at the $0.5T GDP gain and proclaim success. Not saying it isn't possible to make it out of all this ok, I am saying that this is not normal by historical standards and kind of unsettling.

You keep bringing up the Fed as part of your argument that the economy is "in the tank," but the nature of your remarks suggest you are either not macroeconomically/Fed savvy or not current on the state of the economy.

Why? Because it's almost certain that the Fed will raise interest rates this year, perhaps even in September. That's something the Fed has refrained from doing almost entirely in anticipation of clear and broad reaching indications that the economy is doing well. "If there were something that might persuade the [Fed] to boost rates, it would likely be some sign that the economy was doing better than anticipated, significantly better."
  • Federal Reserve Could Hike Interest Rates in September
    • 16-Aug-2016 -- NY Fed President Dudley:
      • "[T]he labor market is getting tighter and we’re starting to see signs of wage gains starting to accelerate, so I think we’re getting closer to that point in time when it will be appropriate to actually raise short-term rates again.”
      • "[T]he question is whether there is enough economic growth to put pressure on resources that pushes up wages and, ultimately, inflation. 'So far we seem to be on that trajectory and we’ll have to see how it plays out in coming months.'”
  • Federal Reserve 'close to meeting targets' for US economy - BBC News
    • 21-Aug-2016 -- Fed Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer
      • In a speech in Colorado, the Fed's number two policymaker was upbeat about the economy's recovery and prospects. "We are close to our targets," he said on Sunday, adding that jobs growth had been "remarkably resilient".
      • "Mr Fischer said this year's pace of jobs growth, although slower than in 2015, was "more than enough" for the labour market to continue to improve."
      • "In recent years, he said, the US economy had had to confront the Greek debt crisis, a rise in the strength of the dollar, and sporadic financial turbulence."

"Yet, even amid these shocks, the labour market continued to improve: employment has continued to increase, and the unemployment rate is currently close to most estimates of the natural rate. I believe it is a remarkable, and perhaps under-appreciated, achievement that the economy has returned to near-full employment in a relatively short time after the great recession, given the historical experience following a financial crisis."
  • Janet Yellen: Fed rate hike odds have 'strengthened'
    • "But the job market bounced back in June and July, adding over a half million jobs in the that period. Yellen highlighted the job market's improvement and "solid growth" in consumer spending. Experts agree."
    • "The consumer is actually doing pretty good and there are elements of the labor market doing better," says Phil Orlando, senior portfolio manager at Federated Investors in New York."
    • 26-Aug-2016 -- Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen:
      • "I believe the case for an increase in the federal funds rate has strengthened in recent months."
      • "While economic growth has not been rapid, it has been sufficient to generate further improvement in the labor market."

For example if Obama spent $1T in deficit stimulus, the fed monetized it, and GDP grew by $0.5T then I would call that sort of desperate.

Why do you imply the federal reserve would have to monetize the budget for any result when the federal reserve is providing the money, the budget, AND the statistical assessment?

you have a serious shortcoming in your economic understanding if you think the fed provides the budget and normally monetizes the deficit. I would comment but I suggest you go learn about how the US government makes and spends budgets versus how the federal reserve operates

There is no 'statistical assessment', it is an exact accounting.

every American needs to understand that we are in the middle of a massive new monetary experiment, if you believe in god then pray it works

How is that so?

The monetary system doesn't seem functioning to me by or through experiments and prayer doesn't seem to be given by or through chance.

zero percent interest rates for 7 years and $3 Trillion in QE is new and experimental

Who is enforcing the mathematics inlaid with those numbers, so that every American would have to need, and be fulfilled, in the understanding of your suggestion?

The federal reserve is driving the bus here, we are in an unprecedented era of monetary policy, that should color every notion of how well we are or not doing. Fiscal policy likewise to some degree.

For example if Obama spent $1T in deficit stimulus, the fed monetized it, and GDP grew by $0.5T then I would call that sort of desperate. Others just look at the $0.5T GDP gain and proclaim success. Not saying it isn't possible to make it out of all this ok, I am saying that this is not normal by historical standards and kind of unsettling.

You keep bringing up the Fed as part of your argument that the economy is "in the tank," but the nature of your remarks suggest you are either not macroeconomically/Fed savvy or not current on the state of the economy.

Why? Because it's almost certain that the Fed will raise interest rates this year, perhaps even in September. That's something the Fed has refrained from doing almost entirely in anticipation of clear and broad reaching indications that the economy is doing well. "If there were something that might persuade the [Fed] to boost rates, it would likely be some sign that the economy was doing better than anticipated, significantly better."
      • "[T]he labor market is getting tighter and we’re starting to see signs of wage gains starting to accelerate, so I think we’re getting closer to that point in time when it will be appropriate to actually raise short-term rates again.”
      • "[T]he question is whether there is enough economic growth to put pressure on resources that pushes up wages and, ultimately, inflation. 'So far we seem to be on that trajectory and we’ll have to see how it plays out in coming months.'”
      • In a speech in Colorado, the Fed's number two policymaker was upbeat about the economy's recovery and prospects. "We are close to our targets," he said on Sunday, adding that jobs growth had been "remarkably resilient".
      • "Mr Fischer said this year's pace of jobs growth, although slower than in 2015, was "more than enough" for the labour market to continue to improve."
      • "In recent years, he said, the US economy had had to confront the Greek debt crisis, a rise in the strength of the dollar, and sporadic financial turbulence."

"Yet, even amid these shocks, the labour market continued to improve: employment has continued to increase, and the unemployment rate is currently close to most estimates of the natural rate. I believe it is a remarkable, and perhaps under-appreciated, achievement that the economy has returned to near-full employment in a relatively short time after the great recession, given the historical experience following a financial crisis."
    • "But the job market bounced back in June and July, adding over a half million jobs in the that period. Yellen highlighted the job market's improvement and "solid growth" in consumer spending. Experts agree."
    • "The consumer is actually doing pretty good and there are elements of the labor market doing better," says Phil Orlando, senior portfolio manager at Federated Investors in New York."
      • "I believe the case for an increase in the federal funds rate has strengthened in recent months."
      • "While economic growth has not been rapid, it has been sufficient to generate further improvement in the labor market."

I said we are in a new monetary era, I did not say we are 'in the tank'. The fed has kept the ship afloat, the question is if this is a sustainable path. Clearly I think the answer is no as the fed itself keeps talking about escape velocity which never seems to happen. It could be now, but this is a historically long time for a recovery. Yellen has now changed her tune to QE and is trying to prepare congress to accept a permanent large balance on the fed ledger.

I know all about the interest rate increases, it changes nothing, we should have had many by now instead of one. I know all about the labor market, it is doing well but wages have been not so hot.

Asset prices (stocks, housing, etc.) seem to be inflating much faster than inflation or wages. The fed fears we might be creating a third bubble in 20 years, however they are starting to think that bubbles are the new economy as well. Bubbles are nice on the way up, we all loved the late 90s.

The trillion dollar question is when another recession hits, then what? the fed today has a pretty empty barrel so about the only thing left is helicopter money which is an even more dangerous experiment.

you really need links to plots that are easily looked up? I would have thought you were more savvy than that and probably were already aware, I will post later.

How is that so?

I said we are in a new monetary era, I did not say we are 'in the tank'. The fed has kept the ship afloat, the question is if this is a sustainable path. Clearly I think the answer is no as the fed itself keeps talking about escape velocity which never seems to happen. It could be now, but this is a historically long time for a recovery. Yellen has now changed her tune to QE and is trying to prepare congress to accept a permanent large balance on the fed ledger.

I know all about the interest rate increases, it changes nothing, we should have had many by now instead of one. I know all about the labor market, it is doing well but wages have been not so hot.

Asset prices (stocks, housing, etc.) seem to be inflating much faster than inflation or wages. The fed fears we might be creating a third bubble in 20 years, however they are starting to think that bubbles are the new economy as well. Bubbles are nice on the way up, we all loved the late 90s.

The trillion dollar question is when another recession hits, then what? the fed today has a pretty empty barrel so about the only thing left is helicopter money which is an even more dangerous experiment.

you really need links to plots that are easily looked up? I would have thought you were more savvy than that and probably were already aware, I will post later.

TY for a substantive and carefully considered reply.

Those facts don't line up with the right wing rhetoric that we are collapsing. I've had that same conversation with right wingers, and their response was that isn't what they see on their TV so your numbers must be fake.

We're not collapsing...we're treading water and that's all we've done for the past eight years!

Wrong.

Barack Obama will be the first President in American history to have 8 years of economic growth below 2%...he's averaging 1.5% growth. It's the very definition of treading water. So show me why I'm "wrong"!

How is that so?

We've followed an extremely dangerous Fed policy (keeping interest rates at near zero for nearly eight years now) in an effort to prop up a nervous stock market. It's dangerous because we've now created a stock market bubble that will eventually burst and almost certainly cause a recession and you are 100% correct in your observation that the Fed's "quiver" of responses is basically empty!

In the meantime, we have 5.8 million jobs unfilled because people don't have the skills.

As long as Republicans teach their children education is a liberal plot, they will continue to drag down the country's economy.

That's amusing R-Derp...you've got an education system that has been taken over by liberals over the past forty years but it's the fault of Republicans that our kids aren't learning the right things in school? I suppose that all those graduating with degrees in Sociology, Black Studies and Political Science, with few job prospects other than the Public Sector, are a boost to the country's economy?

"CDZ What facts have we about the state of the U.S. economy today?"

Who cares about facts, stats?
"Let's make America great again" ... is probably referring to South America, but Trump suckers don't realize that.
:)

"CDZ What facts have we about the state of the U.S. economy today?"

Who cares about facts, stats?
"Let's make America great again" ... is probably referring to South America, but Trump suckers don't realize that.
:)

Like when Barry lent billions to Petrobras, Brazil's State owned oil company to finance oil production at the very same time he was shutting down drilling by US companies here? Is that the kind of thing you're referring to?

Forum List

Back