What firearms are protected by the 2nd Amendment

See OP

• Total voters
The Constitution did not end the terrible practice of slavery.

A massive civil war with massive casualties and destruction ended slavery.

The winners used he Constitution to ratify that victory.

The far right reactionaries refuse to accept the unqualified fact the FF failed on the issue of slavery. Case closed.

The far right reactionaries refuse to accept the unqualified fact the FF failed on the issue of slavery. Case closed.

But, WHY, Daddy?

back-in-the-days-trolling-meant-something-391x500.jpg

But, WHY, Daddy?

back-in-the-days-trolling-meant-something-391x500.jpg

Jake must have learned a new word today "massive"

But let's look at the other two words he used.

unqualified fact: what exactly is he tring to say? That he is unqualified to give facts ab use his opinion as fact?

you cannot talk shit about the founders then praise the flag, country and the constitution you hypocrit piece of shit. It was the founders who gave it to you..

How many times have you insulted the Wobblies and Suffragettes (read: evil lefty communists) who made America as good as it is today?

Are you a troll? Just wondering?
Lost count, eh?

So saying slaveholders were human is bad, but talking shit about the people who got us women's suffrage, workplace safety standards, overtime pay, and the end of 9-year-olds in the coal mines is somehow... good?

Do you ever thank the Wobblies when you're singing the praises of those slavekeepers?

I know. I was responding to the silliness that JB brought up thru you because JB is a waste of time, and so is on ignore.

There's -no question- that the 2nd protects and individual right, regardless of that individual's relationship to any militia.
Then why does it mention the militia at all? And why did you spend page after page tying the right to have a gun to the concept of a militia?

At the time militias were pretty much what towns had for protection, outside the British Army.
So you're back to the right to bear arms being having everything to do with the militia? You sure do flip-flop a lot.

How many times have you insulted the Wobblies and Suffragettes (read: evil lefty communists) who made America as good as it is today?

I think we have a winner....

This thread is my first real "interaction" with JB (where more than one or two dumbass comments are strung together to form "an argument"). It has become clear, after 20 pages, that he simply likes debate more than he has any meaningful opinion, because his logic changes to match whatever the most recent post is. He has all the answers (more accurately, all the questions), and the issues are all resolved, so there is no reason to entertain anything upon which he disagrees, doesn't understand, or conflicts with his personal perception. He is omniscient, and we are all lucky to be allowed to live in his world.

Still, its been an interesting debate.

Sort of like when my daughter gets on one of her "But, why?" terminal loops of curiosity.

Where did I claim to 'have all the answers'?

Yes, I do have all the questions.

Now, as I said- it's 1807: do you support or oppose a vote to abolish slavery?

From what you're saying, the North used the Constitution to ratify the non-existence of slavery?...:cuckoo:

The FF did not end slavery at the drafting and signing of the Constitution for the specific reason of keeping the southern colonies from seceeding at a CRITICIAL time. Instead, they drafted the Constitution to allow for such an abolition in the future. Otherwise, there would have been no such thing.

"All good men wish the entire abolition of slavery, as soon as it can take place with safety to the public, and for the lasting good of the present wretched race of slaves."--Oliver Ellsworth

"I believe a time will come when an opportunity will be offered to abolish this lamentable evil. Everything we do is to improve it, if it happens in our day; if not, let us transmit to our descendants, together with our slaves, a pity for their unhappy lot and an abhorrence of slavery."--Patrick Henry

"[Y]our late purchase of an estate in the colony of Cayenne, with a view to emancipating the slaves on it, is a generous and noble proof of your humanity. Would to God a like spirit would diffuse itself generally into the minds of the people of this country; but I despair of seeing it." --George Washington (He wrote that the slaves be freed upon his wife's death so that they could be cared for using the money from his estate.)

As far as the 3/5ths B.S., The North didn't want the slaves to count at all.

This thread is my first real "interaction" with JB (where more than one or two dumbass comments are strung together to form "an argument"). It has become clear, after 20 pages, that he simply likes debate more than he has any meaningful opinion, because his logic changes to match whatever the most recent post is. He has all the answers (more accurately, all the questions), and the issues are all resolved, so there is no reason to entertain anything upon which he disagrees, doesn't understand, or conflicts with his personal perception. He is omniscient, and we are all lucky to be allowed to live in his world.

Sort of like when my daughter gets on one of her "But, why?" terminal loops of curiosity.

A vote to end slavery would have resulted in slavery remaining in place because the majority of Americans supported it. This is the reason the FF did not force the issue immediately after the Revolutionary War. A divided nation (like in 1861) would have been prime target for the return of the British.

I know. I was responding to the silliness that JB brought up thru you because JB is a waste of time, and so is on ignore.

There's -no question- that the 2nd protects and individual right, regardless of that individual's relationship to any militia.
Then why does it mention the militia at all? And why did you spend page after page tying the right to have a gun to the concept of a militia?

At the time militias were pretty much what towns had for protection, outside the British Army.
The only way to deternmine what weapons are protected by the 2nd - that is, what qualifies as 'arms' - is to look at the intent of the 2nd. See US v Miller.

The intent was to ensure that the militia had access to weapons suitable for its use.
This currelty precludes flintlocks. but nevessarily includes all of the classes of firearms mentioned in the OP.

snip: nothing that make sense>
None of what you wrote above makes any sense at all. The war ended slavery, and the Constitution ratified it by the Northern states and Tennessee, Brian H. go learn your history, please.

Are you CERTAIN you want to play this game?

Ok, then.......

Assuming:

Its 1807 and I am lucky enough to have a vote.

Then:

I vote to END slavery.

Now, share some more of your wisdom.

Please do!

snip: nothing that make sense>
None of what you wrote above makes any sense at all. The war ended slavery, and the Constitution ratified it by the Northern states and Tennessee, Brian H. go learn your history, please.

First off, I didn't say that the FF ended it dip shit. I said they laid the groundwork in the Constitution that provided for the eventual end to slavery. Also, the 13th Amendment was ratified on December 6, 1865 when Georgia ratified it.
Troll1.jpg

The FFs did not provide the groundwork for ending slavery. Get over it, BrianH; slavery ended despite their efforts.

Quit trolling, son.

The FFs did not provide the groundwork for ending slavery. Get over it, BrianH; slavery ended despite their efforts.

Quit trolling, son.

Using your line of reasoning, they also did not provide the groundwork for removing private ownership of arms, so "get over it."

Anyway, yesterday was a great day for gun ownership in Virginia. The gun show at the Dulles Expo Center had two long lines going into the building at 10:15 in the morning. My son, daughter's BF, and I got in line and it took about 20 or so minutes to get in. The usual assortment of weapons and ammo was on display. I was looking for a Ruger LCR which retails for around 440 US. I have seen it for a little more and a little less. I was not going to pay more than 400. A few vendors had them and were charging their in-store price. I found one though for 375 and snatched it up. My approval came back before my second form was even filled out. There were also two Virginia state troopers there on the phones expediting background checks. I also bought a thousand rounds of 9 mm range ammo, of course my son will use half of it for his nine. The daughter's BF walked out with his very first gun. He bought a 9mm and was waiting for his backgroud approval to come back like an expectant father. It was very touching. I'm about to head down to the range for some trigger time with the new member of the family. This is a great weekend for us who exercise our 2nd amendment rights. When we left two hours later, there was still lots of people trying to get in.

Last edited:
Thank you, Old Navy, for that testimonial to the power of the 2nd Amendment.

Forum List

Back