what happened to the loyalists

Actually, I re-watching "Turn" about American Spies during the Revolution. Most Loyalists left or were forced to leave the country. Nova Scotia was founded Loyalists after the war. Many went to Canada, some went to England. Others went to live on Caribbean Islands.
a few made it to louisiana.

the contrast between the enlightenment era gentlemen meeting in philidelpho and the mobs of hooded night riders of the southern continental "armies" struck me as interesting

So, patriots are scum now? They care about their country and do not like the direction it's moving in, and they are scum? Eff you.

"Patriots" in political terms is anybody that agrees with you as to the direction. Those that believe in many of the same things but oppose you politically are "traitors".

Myself, I am very much a moderate so laugh at both sides of the extremes.

a few made it to louisiana.

Very few, actually. Because at that time Louisiana was controlled by the French. And damned few "Loyalists" would want to suddenly find themselves "being French", they wanted to remain "British". About the only ones that did were merchants, who largely held their nose. And because much of Louisiana was already becoming increasingly cosmopolitan and less "French" in their identity.

Thank you, always willing learn more one of most important events in U.S. history. My family came to this country in 1642. Mainly Quakers. When the Revolutionary War came, they were forced to leave their farms in Pennsylvania. They refused to fight, later they settled in what is now the Arkansas River Valley.

That was not uncommon among Friends, Shakers, and others in that era. Which was finally recognized in later decades by allowing them to serve in non-combat capacities. Such as logistics, communications, and the medical fields. By putting COs into jobs like driving ambulances, moving supplies or taking care of horses freed up others that would go and fight.

And there is never anything wrong with learning new things. Semper Gumby. Ironically, my nick on Bethesda is "Mushroom0311", I suspect for the same reason that is your nick here.

Very few, actually. Because at that time Louisiana was controlled by the French. And damned few "Loyalists" would want to suddenly find themselves "being French", they wanted to remain "British". About the only ones that did were merchants, who largely held their nose. And because much of Louisiana was already becoming increasingly cosmopolitan and less "French" in their identity.
au contraire, the province of nuevo espana was capitaled here in nueva orleans from 1761 intil 1801.

capt general was "bloody o'reillty ", an extremely colorful "wild goose " mercenary for any catholic king.

the wild geese, of course had no love for the king who was starving their families at the time, but their current employer wanted to fill the empty quadrillions of acres north of natchez.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back