What happened to USMB?

I fail to see how either of what you suggest would solve the 502 Bad Gateway situation that this forum frequently has.

Also on point II what constitutes a personal attack? Some are THAT thin skinned that if for eg. they are called an IDIOT they would go Full On Drama Queen and go screaming they have been PERSONALLY ATTACKED. If someone wants a forum where IDIOT constitutes a personal attack then there are some other forums out there who have that Nannying approach to cater to the thin skinned.

So on point II no thanks, that is not the type of Nannying this forum needs and that would not in ANY form solve the 502 Bad Gateway situation.
I have no idea what caused the 502 Bad Gateway. I'm just going by the comments by flacaltenn.

I have found by years of experience leading and participating in discussion groups, civility toward other posters or speakers leads to more informative discussion. Some people have little interest in the ideas of the opposition but simple want tell the opposition to STFU, you lying SOB. That's ok with me except that it typically ends intelligence discussion. If you've noticed, there are a number of users who simply issue nothing but personal attacks without every adding anything of interest to the thread. It's not a matter of being thin skinned but simply wanting to participate in an intelligent discussion rather read post after post of personal attacks against other members. I really don't give damn what member A thinks about member B. It's almost always off topic and adds nothing to the thread. Possibly more civility might reduce membership but it might also improve the quality of the discussions.

"I have found by years of experience leading and participating in discussion groups, civility toward other posters or speakers leads to more informative discussion. Some people have little interest in the ideas of the opposition but simple want tell the opposition to STFU, you lying SOB. That's ok with me except that it typically ends intelligence discussion. If you've noticed, there are a number of users who simply issue nothing but personal attacks without every adding anything of interest to the thread. It's not a matter of being thin skinned but simply wanting to participate in an intelligent discussion rather read post after post of personal attacks against other members. I really don't give damn what member A thinks about member B. It's almost always off topic and adds nothing to the thread. Possibly more civility might reduce membership but it might also improve the quality of the discussions."

In general I agree, the problem though is it would reduce the forum to being less entertaining and pretty boring, I have no problem with if someone posts:

"WTF you idiot (and then posts On Topic with regard to whatever the OP topic is about)"

or "STFU moron (and then posts On Topic with regard to whatever the OP topic is about)"

I certainly do not want to read endless Novella type posts after posts where there is not some friction between members, also I add a few members of staff are prone to name calling in their responses.

"Possibly more civility might reduce membership"

Which is the last thing that Forum Foundry want, if membership was reduced then why would Forum Foundry even think USMB was worth continuing? So IF you want to destroy the forum then make it boring, reducing the membership equals end of the forum.
You have a good point. Never thought of it in that light. I have to admit some of our more colorful members do keep it interesting.

Well yes and also I am 100% in support of Freedom of Speech, I do not go along with this hysterical thing of those who Offend Someones Feelings need to be silenced.

I do not advocate deliberately hurting someone by commenting deliberately nasty things that you KNOW are going to hurt them.

What I do advocate STRONGLY is the Right to Freedom of Expression both in a political and social sense, that EVERYONE should be at least mature enough to TOLERATE opposing opinions on politics and social issues.

I am 100% Anti-Censorship because Censorship INFRINGES on a persons right to Freedom of Expression.

This:

View attachment 216613

This:

View attachment 216614
I think possibly the right approach is just to step out of threads where the opposition seeks only to attack with no real interest in supporting a position. The good thing about USMB is we have lots of threads to choose from so there is no need to waste time on such people. If enough people did that, maybe they would go elsewhere.

Yes on this I 100% agree and I myself have been doing this more often than I used to, just abandoning threads that I feel have been hijacked or where everyone is just going around in a circle repeating the same points again and again.

The "brain trust" of the engine room have not taken time to explain all of this to us "liberal arts majors". But it's ACTING differently than when there is maintenance or heavy indexing of searches going on. TO ME, it seems to be "load related". But, I'm not in the engine room.

Well Get "Scottie" fired up because his reputation is that he is a 'miracle worker'...

Captain Montgomery Scott

Love that guy.. He's a saint to those in engineering.

LAST MINUTE BREAKING UPDATE --- The wizards DID a find an issue in some linked material from a certain host hanging us up. NOT MALICIOUS. Or more accurately not malicious to YOU. And they think the MAJOR stalls are gonna disappear. Still discussing the server loading.

I'm going into decompression mode now for the evening. Hopefully, we'll all be here tomorrow.. :auiqs.jpg:

Okay so I can take off my Tin Foil Hat now :smoke:

I think we would prefer to grow. If the financials allowed it. Because it's looking more and more that having adult discussions are not gonna be possible on other "social media".

Don't KNOW yet if money fixes this. But I'm prepared to donate if that's the reason. Because I think the ORIGINAL "social media" of message boards just might be the last refuge of free and UNmonitored speech pretty soon now..

flacaltenn count me in if it is decided that a financial solution is the answer...

The "brain trust" of the engine room have not taken time to explain all of this to us "liberal arts majors". But it's ACTING differently than when there is maintenance or heavy indexing of searches going on. TO ME, it seems to be "load related". But, I'm not in the engine room.

Like for instance, RIGHT NOW, there are only about 5 pages of members on-line. When it was slowing around 5PM -- there were 8 pages.

Really really do appreciate the offers of support. If we learn the story, we'll let you know..

"RIGHT NOW, there are only about 5 pages of members on-line. When it was slowing around 5PM -- there were 8 pages."

Have you ever looked at that page and noticed the TON of Bots online? I have and often it's between 25-40 Bots sometimes and that menace could be contributing to the general slowing down of the forum.

Right now this is the Top of Page I:

upload_2018-9-15_6-2-1.png

We have approx XVI pages of NOTHING BUT Bots reading shit at this forum, these menaces are overloading the forum also, it would be excellent if we could reduce the massive number of Bots.

Well Get "Scottie" fired up because his reputation is that he is a 'miracle worker'...

Captain Montgomery Scott

Love that guy.. He's a saint to those in engineering.

LAST MINUTE BREAKING UPDATE --- The wizards DID a find an issue in some linked material from a certain host hanging us up. NOT MALICIOUS. Or more accurately not malicious to YOU. And they think the MAJOR stalls are gonna disappear. Still discussing the server loading.

I'm going into decompression mode now for the evening. Hopefully, we'll all be here tomorrow.. :auiqs.jpg:

Okay so I can take off my Tin Foil Hat now :smoke:

Would still recommend construction hard hats. Not sure stuff isn't gonna drop from the sky... :banana:

I think we would prefer to grow. If the financials allowed it. Because it's looking more and more that having adult discussions are not gonna be possible on other "social media".

Don't KNOW yet if money fixes this. But I'm prepared to donate if that's the reason. Because I think the ORIGINAL "social media" of message boards just might be the last refuge of free and UNmonitored speech pretty soon now..

flacaltenn count me in if it is decided that a financial solution is the answer...

Like for instance, RIGHT NOW, there are only about 5 pages of members on-line. When it was slowing around 5PM -- there were 8 pages.

Really really do appreciate the offers of support. If we learn the story, we'll let you know..

"RIGHT NOW, there are only about 5 pages of members on-line. When it was slowing around 5PM -- there were 8 pages.

Have you ever looked at that page and noticed the TON of Bots online? I have and often it's between 25-40 Bots sometimes.

Right now this is the Top of Page I:

View attachment 216615

We have approx XVI pages of NOTHING BUT Bots reading shit at this forum, these menaces are overloading the forum also, it would be excellent of we could reduce the massive number of Bots.

Yeah. It's somewhat disturbing. But they are READING mostly, not making a lot of demands on the resources. Welcome to "Surveillance Capitalism". Heard that phrase on one of Biz Channels this week, and it really does describe what's goin on. We're just goldfish in the bowl. And that's just the COMMERCIAL side of the surveillance -- not the Big Brother side.

Server down for six hours
Possibly but my theory, based on the recent frequency of Bad Gateways is the forum is under attack, DDoS. Either a disgruntled emotionally immature banned member, a child in adult form "having fun" or someone(s) who thinks the site is an alt-right forum and is bent on disruption, another immature quality.

Westwall just quit. Probably him.

Possibly but my theory, based on the recent frequency of Bad Gateways is the forum is under attack, DDoS. Either a disgruntled emotionally immature banned member, a child in adult form "having fun" or someone(s) who thinks the site is an alt-right forum and is bent on disruption, another immature quality.

I am of the opinion that you could be correct or that there is some merit in your theory.

The gerbil in the wheel is getting old, time for a fresh one

Do we have any gay members who could spare a gerbil? Nevermind, they are probably just as tired.

I'm sorry! That was just so wrong on so many levels, but funny as hell!

Do you know why gay guys wrap their gerbils in duct tape?

I am of the opinion that you could be correct or that there is some merit in your theory.

Do we have any gay members who could spare a gerbil?

That was so funny I nearly peed while sitting on the toilet.

There's no possibility this is a technical problem with the server, and not a vicious attack?

IMHO no because we are getting these situations too frequently, that either elchlorizo or one of the others gets here and then fixes the technical problem that is causing the general slow down or the 502 Bad Gateway and then we get it all happening again, to me this is something other than the server and that the frequency of it does suggest some type of DDoS happening.

If you check the number of members on-line -- it's increased DRAMATICALLY since May. I'd say by 30%.. There were more than 6 pages of members online last night before I gave up trying to be here. It just could be volume. Or the 100s of "bots" that scan and collate info from USMB. Any one of these could be a malignant form of DDOService type device.

Maybe Facebook is jealous of our growth. :113:

That 30% increase is just libs getting sock accounts.

I fail to see how either of what you suggest would solve the 502 Bad Gateway situation that this forum frequently has.

Also on point II what constitutes a personal attack? Some are THAT thin skinned that if for eg. they are called an IDIOT they would go Full On Drama Queen and go screaming they have been PERSONALLY ATTACKED. If someone wants a forum where IDIOT constitutes a personal attack then there are some other forums out there who have that Nannying approach to cater to the thin skinned.

So on point II no thanks, that is not the type of Nannying this forum needs and that would not in ANY form solve the 502 Bad Gateway situation.
I have no idea what caused the 502 Bad Gateway. I'm just going by the comments by flacaltenn.

I have found by years of experience leading and participating in discussion groups, civility toward other posters or speakers leads to more informative discussion. Some people have little interest in the ideas of the opposition but simple want tell the opposition to STFU, you lying SOB. That's ok with me except that it typically ends intelligence discussion. If you've noticed, there are a number of users who simply issue nothing but personal attacks without every adding anything of interest to the thread. It's not a matter of being thin skinned but simply wanting to participate in an intelligent discussion rather read post after post of personal attacks against other members. I really don't give damn what member A thinks about member B. It's almost always off topic and adds nothing to the thread. Possibly more civility might reduce membership but it might also improve the quality of the discussions.

"I have found by years of experience leading and participating in discussion groups, civility toward other posters or speakers leads to more informative discussion. Some people have little interest in the ideas of the opposition but simple want tell the opposition to STFU, you lying SOB. That's ok with me except that it typically ends intelligence discussion. If you've noticed, there are a number of users who simply issue nothing but personal attacks without every adding anything of interest to the thread. It's not a matter of being thin skinned but simply wanting to participate in an intelligent discussion rather read post after post of personal attacks against other members. I really don't give damn what member A thinks about member B. It's almost always off topic and adds nothing to the thread. Possibly more civility might reduce membership but it might also improve the quality of the discussions."

In general I agree, the problem though is it would reduce the forum to being less entertaining and pretty boring, I have no problem with if someone posts:

"WTF you idiot (and then posts On Topic with regard to whatever the OP topic is about)"

or "STFU moron (and then posts On Topic with regard to whatever the OP topic is about)"

I certainly do not want to read endless Novella type posts after posts where there is not some friction between members, also I add a few members of staff are prone to name calling in their responses.

Which is the last thing that Forum Foundry want, if membership was reduced then why would Forum Foundry even think USMB was worth continuing? So IF you want to destroy the forum then make it boring, reducing the membership equals end of the forum.
You have a good point. Never thought of it in that light. I have to admit some of our more colorful members do keep it interesting.

Well yes and also I am 100% in support of Freedom of Speech, I do not go along with this hysterical thing of those who Offend Someones Feelings need to be silenced.

I do not advocate deliberately hurting someone by commenting deliberately nasty things that you KNOW are going to hurt them.

What I do advocate STRONGLY is the Right to Freedom of Expression both in a political and social sense, that EVERYONE should be at least mature enough to TOLERATE opposing opinions on politics and social issues.

I am 100% Anti-Censorship because Censorship INFRINGES on a persons right to Freedom of Expression.

This:

View attachment 216613

This:

View attachment 216614
I think possibly the right approach is just to step out of threads where the opposition seeks only to attack with no real interest in supporting a position. The good thing about USMB is we have lots of threads to choose from so there is no need to waste time on such people. If enough people did that, maybe they would go elsewhere.
Nonsense. That is in large part what many of these Leftists are after. Shutting down discussion by making posters abandon a thread. Because like you said “there’s lots of threads to choose from”... Until automagicly they show up in the next thread on a related topic. And start the cycle over again...

It's the illuminati again. Damn them to hell!

Coupla years ago I had a Kindergarten class come into my classroom chanting, "The Illuminati, the Illuminati, the Illuminati..." I laughed myself silly. They sure enough didn't know what it was, someone had heard the name and they liked the sound of it.

Little kids man. They're a trip. :)

Do we have any gay members who could spare a gerbil? Nevermind, they are probably just as tired.

Do you know why gay guys wrap their gerbils in duct tape?

Can someone please come along and tell me that gerbil thing is just a rumor? It would really help with me having to hunt down about 2 gallons of brain bleach today k thanks

"Adult discussions" here? lol

You have a good point though, some media boards are "echo chambers" toeing the line for whatever ideology is being promoted. This board does a fair job trying to remain neutral, and the mods here do a lot of work to try and keep it that way.
It took me about a week to realize USMB was not about civil, adult discusions. Once in a while, a thread sneaks in where adult discussion takes place......but USMB is about talking Smack

My guy is great, your guy sucks, you are an a-hole

If the number of connected users is causing the problem, you could do the unthinkable, a small yearly membership fee to cover the cost of better equipment. Or you could have a strict civility policy, no personal attacks on other users. Either one would probably solve the problem.

This:

View attachment 216613

This:

View attachment 216614
upload_2018-9-15_5-32-28-png.216614

Go to hell, Lucy.

Forum List

Back