What Is Lake-Effect Snow? (Hint: It Involves a Lake)

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
buffalo-snow-storm.jpg

I don't care what causes it! I'm just glad that I'm more than 1,000 miles away and don't have to do anything but sit here and shake my head. Read the story @ Lake-Effect Snow What Is It

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
I know, right? Lucky bastards. Wish I had a lake like that. Preferably nonflammable.

Lake effect snow. I haven't heard that term in a while.

I remember a storm that dropped 3 feet of snow overnight in Oswego a few years ago when I was up there working.

Super cold air is driven over a warm lake causing rapid evaporation and cooling. End result is massive amounts of snow in a narrow band..

And the warmist morons will claim its something new...

Ive done my share of shoveling snow living on one side of a large lake growing up. You can guess the people who were going to be shoveling by wind direction..

The early 70's the entire Midwest was taking shots off the great lakes. I remember the TV news casts showing those folks dumping truck loads of snow off the bridges in NY, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and a few other areas..

I live in Western PA. Lake effect snow can makes things very interesting the more further north you live. I used to visit my brother in Erie often and marvel at the amount of snow they would receive in comparison. We're no slouches when it comes snow in Pittsburgh but the closer you get to the lakes the more brutal the winter.

The early 70's the entire Midwest was taking shots off the great lakes. I remember the TV news casts showing those folks dumping truck loads of snow off the bridges in NY, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and a few other areas..

New York and Philadelphia don't get lake effect snow. They have no lake to their west.

I spent the winter of '13/'14 driving through that shit. Often at night. Fuck it.

Driving through shit must be like mud. You need a low gear and patience. Ta hell with that, I'd rather drive though snow.

I live in Western PA. Lake effect snow can makes things very interesting the more further north you live. I used to visit my brother in Erie often and marvel at the amount of snow they would receive in comparison. We're no slouches when it comes snow in Pittsburgh but the closer you get to the lakes the more brutal the winter.
Last April, I was talking to my neighbor about an upcoming trip to Boston and the route we planned to take. He's an OTR and drives that very route on a weekly basis. He said "you're going to run into lake-effect".
I'm like- it's April, it's warm... no way.

Yes way.

As I said... fuck that shit!

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

New York and Philadelphia don't get lake effect snow. They have no lake to their west.

Doesn't require it to be west. Only in line with current wind direction.. And it can also pick up moisture, increase in altitude and deposit it up to 100 miles away. If you want to get technical about it...

ETA: Ocean can also do the same thing as a lake if it is warmer than the air.

Last edited:

Doesn't require it to be west. Only in line with current wind direction.. And it can also pick up moisture, increase in altitude and deposit it up to 100 miles away. If you want to get technical about it...

Weather moves from west to east because of the rotation of the earth, unless it's a hurricane which goes backward. And again, neither city has a lake within 100 miles. Erie and Ontario are more like 400. Too far.

Look, I'm from there, I know what the weather is.

Last April, I was talking to my neighbor about an upcoming trip to Boston and the route we planned to take. He's an OTR and drives that very route on a weekly basis. He said "you're going to run into lake-effect".
I'm like- it's April, it's warm... no way.

Yes way.

As I said... fuck that shit!

March and April are notorious tricky months in North Western PA. The swings in temperature are wild. You can go from a light jacket with shorts to paying the neighbor kid to shovel out your car all in the same week. Luckily those days are gone and we retreated further south to Pittsburgh where we rarely get lake effect snow. It does happen though. As much as it can be a pain I do enjoy that shut-in type snow storm. Board games and booze for two days. Last winter the local tv news stations did a boat load of stories about the small baby boom in the area as a result of the winter. lol

What Is Lake-Effect Snow?

When it is much colder than the lake below. the warmth from the lake rise and deposits it's crap all over Buffalo. Now when it happens in the middle of November it becomes a problem for the 'global warming' advocates.

What Is Lake-Effect Snow?

When it is much colder than the lake below. the warmth from the lake rise and deposits it's crap all over Buffalo. Now when it happens in the middle of November it becomes a problem for the 'global warming' advocates.

It's really only a problem for those who still don't grok the difference between weather and climate.

Snow in mid-November is nothing unusual in those latitudes. We had snow here in Carolina weeks ago.

Weather moves from west to east because of the rotation of the earth, unless it's a hurricane which goes backward. And again, neither city has a lake within 100 miles. Erie and Ontario are more like 400. Too far.

Lake effect is a poor descriptor of this phenomenon as it can happen above large rivers or any other body of water that is significantly warmer than the air mass above it.

Lake effect is a poor descriptor of this phenomenon as it can happen above large rivers or any other body of water that is significantly warmer than the air mass above it.

"River effect"? :lol:

Don't think so. And even if it did work that way, those cities don't have large rivers to their west either. The Schuylkill isn't big, and it comes down from the north anyway.

It's really only a problem for those who still don't grok the difference between weather and climate.

heeehee...Which goal post are we aiming at today??? Let's see it was called global warming then some fool realized "hey, it ain't really warming. we have to rename it to some benign definition that cannot be pegged down with mear facts. Let's call it "Climate Change". We are certainly safe with that since the climate has always changed....Duhhhhhh

Forum List

Back