What Is The Meaning and/or Purpose Of Life To An Atheist?

Mans brain has developed over human exsistsance for greater capacity for learning.

We even learned how to pass on what we learned to people we would never meet by inventing writing.

Learn, please learn.
So many layers of irony in that post...

To be happy and to make the little section of the world you touched better than it was before you were around.

and to scare you believers..............

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People can make up any kind of drama they want--even change it often but it's all just filler until we die. Life is absurd and devoid of meaning.

Most people find joy in helping others.

There are those 1 in 100 people who are sociopaths and find no joy in helping others.

Think of how many sociopaths you have met in your life in light of those numbers.

Sociopaths make up about three to five percent of the general population. Roughly three out of 100 males and one out of 100 females have the disorder, according to a 1994 publication of the American Psychiatric Association (APA).

Read more: What Causes Sociopathy? | eHow.com What Causes Sociopathy? | eHow.com

The meaning and purpose of life is simple....

You need to accumulate as much Rep Power as possible during your life. When you meet that great Moderator in the sky:

- Those with the highest Rep Power get front row center seats in heaven.

- Those with double digit Rep Power get standing room only in heaven

- If you have negative Rep Power or god forbid, a Red Star
:FIREdevil:

In a response or complementary, rather, to chess' great thread...http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/165908-what-is-death-to-an-ahteist.html

I'm curious to know from atheists, what is their understanding of the meaning and/or purpose of life?
There is no purpose other than to simply live. The better question here is why do you need a purpose anyway?
I image that the majority of atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory, or some version thereof...which in essence states that we are all here by chance, some happenstance of a big bang that somehow ended up creating life from some amoeba or similar form that resulted in us, humans beings at the end/top of the food chain.

Along with that theory, the world is millions of years old, I just read someone's post in the other thread using "eons." Which raises another question of, why are we, humans, so lucky? How is it that we are on this planet for "eons" and we haven't had a catastrophic event, such as a meteor that obliterates this planet? Why hasn't it happened as yet? What's stopping it from happening? That seems to be quite a lot of luck to just end up being living beings, as we are, AND not having massively catastrophic event occur like that. No?

Anyway, back to the original premise...what's the meaning of life....if we are all here by some chance?
I would not say lucky. First, there HAVE been disasters before that nearly ended all life on this planet. Dinos might have thought themselves lucky too until the universe threw them a curve. Second, if you were not lucky enough to be here that question would not have been asked. Lastly, the true vastness of the universe is completely incomprehensible. It is VERY likely that we are only looking at a minute section of the universe and even that includes so many stars that we don’t even have names for those numbers. That is less about luck and more about the sheer vastness that makes it VERY likely for life. Much of the line of thought you are taking also comes from the assumption that life is rare and hard to come by. That is not something that has been established. Just because we have not been able to uncover the secrets in the few short thousand years we have been looking does not mean much considering nature was working with billions of years and billions upon billions of planets. That is not even to mention that life does not necessarily resemble us in any shape or form.

In a response or complementary, rather, to chess' great thread...http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/165908-what-is-death-to-an-ahteist.html

I'm curious to know from atheists, what is their understanding of the meaning and/or purpose of life?
There is no purpose other than to simply live. The better question here is why do you need a purpose anyway?
I image that the majority of atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory, or some version thereof...which in essence states that we are all here by chance, some happenstance of a big bang that somehow ended up creating life from some amoeba or similar form that resulted in us, humans beings at the end/top of the food chain.

Along with that theory, the world is millions of years old, I just read someone's post in the other thread using "eons." Which raises another question of, why are we, humans, so lucky? How is it that we are on this planet for "eons" and we haven't had a catastrophic event, such as a meteor that obliterates this planet? Why hasn't it happened as yet? What's stopping it from happening? That seems to be quite a lot of luck to just end up being living beings, as we are, AND not having massively catastrophic event occur like that. No?

Anyway, back to the original premise...what's the meaning of life....if we are all here by some chance?
I would not say lucky. First, there HAVE been disasters before that nearly ended all life on this planet. Dinos might have thought themselves lucky too until the universe threw them a curve. Second, if you were not lucky enough to be here that question would not have been asked. Lastly, the true vastness of the universe is completely incomprehensible. It is VERY likely that we are only looking at a minute section of the universe and even that includes so many stars that we don’t even have names for those numbers. That is less about luck and more about the sheer vastness that makes it VERY likely for life. Much of the line of thought you are taking also comes from the assumption that life is rare and hard to come by. That is not something that has been established. Just because we have not been able to uncover the secrets in the few short thousand years we have been looking does not mean much considering nature was working with billions of years and billions upon billions of planets. That is not even to mention that life does not necessarily resemble us in any shape or form.

You need a purpose because other people will wonder what the hell you are doing if you are not pursuing their purpose. You look sorta stupid when you don't have an answer to explain your behavior.

You need a purpose because other people will wonder what the hell you are doing if you are not pursuing their purpose. You look sorta stupid when you don't have an answer to explain your behavior.

In your opinion. People look just as stupid when they claim spreading the belief in the man in the sky is their purpose. I have purposes for my actions; I just don’t need some overreaching purpose for my life.

You need to accumulate as much Rep Power as possible during your life. When you meet that great Moderator in the sky:

I was told the exact opposite. You're clearly wrong and should join us or you'll be sorry when we're finally raptured.

Yes, we are by definition VERY LUCKY to not have had a catastrophe of epic proportions happen upon us. Your science tells us that there's lots and lots, in fact, millions and millions of meteorites, planets, debris and other things that somehow haven't fallen on us. Why hasn't something twice, three times or five times the size of earth smashed us to smithereens over all these millions and millions, yea billions of years?

It's luck according to what science dictates.

However, according to my belief, it's evidence of order and that God is in control.

Last edited:

I was told the exact opposite. You're clearly wrong and should join us or you'll be sorry when we're finally raptured.

God watches this board and keeps track of your rep

If you neg too much.....God knows

God watches this board and keeps track of your rep

If you neg too much.....God knows
You have no idea how right you are brother rightwinger.

God knows the very number of the hairs on our head.

Forum List

Back