Walking in the morning while being black.

That's not the topic of this thread. But where is the line? If the cop asked to search him should he allow it to be nice? What if he wanted to strip search him? Body cavity? At what point does this man's rights kick in? When is the cop at fault in this?
I addressed this in my first post on the topic where I said to be nice as far as possible. Common sense again, kicks in. A strip search is obviously beyond the line. Asking for ID is not. They guy should have done it. But you can still be nice even if you refuse a demand.

The cops are allowed to ask for the ID. The man not legally obligated to provide it. Him not providing an ID (which he didn't have) or telling him his full name isn't an escalation. The police officer has no legal authority to demand it nor is the refusal a reason for arrest/detainment. I really don't understand why this concept is so very hard for so many people in this thread to grasp.
He refused in an aggressive defiant way. I have no idea why folks don't understand the value of common sense and polite behavior and the benefit it brings. You can be firm and still nice. I've been a landlord for 33 years and never had to take anyone to court. I have never been hurt badly as a landlord. Never had a place torn up out of malice. Never had a tenant leave angry. When harmed, I have never felt the need for revenge. I have been firm in no uncertain terms. But always ended the conversation in a positive pleasant way.

It's the "tough" landlords with combative attitudes who won't give an inch that have trouble, complain all the time, and hate what they do.

Last edited:
I agree the guy was a goose for not being more forthcoming. Needs more context though.

Greg
The other thing to bear in mind is that the child is autistic. Wouldn’t a caring father try to keep things calm by cooperating with the police? Instead, he escalated the situation unnecessarily, causing stress to the child.

I agree we need more context.

The cops are allowed to ask for the ID. The man not legally obligated to provide it. Him not providing an ID (which he didn't have) or telling him his full name isn't an escalation. The police officer has no legal authority to demand it nor is the refusal a reason for arrest/detainment. I really don't understand why this concept is so very hard for so many people in this thread to grasp.
^ This is 100% correct. Oklahoma is not a stop and identify state. The did not need to identify himself.

I addressed this in my first post on the topic where I said to be nice as far as possible. Common sense again, kicks in. A strip search is obviously beyond the line. Asking for ID is not. They guy should have done it. But you can still be nice even if you refuse a demand.

They will ask if he has anything sharp on him then pat him down prior to Police car to station. If dressed out and housed, he will get the full search. Bend over, etc.

If he does not give address and an Adult there, the kid will go to CPS. All because he wants to be a street lawyer? “I don’t have to” like the board experts chirp.

Now he better have his paperwork in order to drive. If he works? they can find out when. They know the route. Do the math. They can pull him over. Want to refuse again? See you at the impound lot.

Is it worth it to be a tough guy refusal? Not usually. Guess it depends on the severity of the arrest warrants he is under?

Last edited:

Why is a search "beyond the line"? No one said asking for the id was over the line. The cop is well within the legal boundaries to ask for an ID. He's well inside the lines asking for a strip search. The man is well inside his legal rights to deny both. How was the guy in the video not nice. He said Im not required to give you my ID. He didnt call the cop an asshole or tell him to go fuck himself. Which he could have done as well legally.

^ This is 100% correct. Oklahoma is not a stop and identify state. The did not need to identify himself.

Thanks, your two days behind and not helpful Einstein. Your spew has been laid out 250 times already. Go read, smarten up. Go Learn something, you Leftist BoardStain anti-Police maggot.

They will ask if he has anything sharp on him then pat him down prior to Police car to station. If dressed out and housed, he will get the full search. Bend over, etc.

If he does not give address and an Adult there, the kid will got to CPS. All because he wants to be a street lawyer. “I don’t have to” like the board experts chirp.

Now he better have his paperwork in order to drive. If he works? they can find out when. They know the route. Do the math. Is it worth it to be a tough guy refusal? Not usually. Guess it depends on the severity of the arrest warrants he is under?
The city will be cutting a check to him when it goes to court.

Oh, so if you are right, you should keep it to yourself, as you have no right to say the truth.
BS. Those were just dirty cops, ignoring the rights of citizens and on some power trip of their own.
Just dirty cops doing a dirty job to keep people like you safe from criminals

Shame on the cops, huh?

Thanks, your two days behind and not helpful Einstein. Your soew has been laid out 250 times already. Go read, smarten up. Go Learn something, you Leftist BoardStain anti-Police maggot.
I’m a Trump supporter you dumb-fck. I support the police and despise the Defund the police” movement. But the law is the law. Go educate yourself on Oklahoma law in regards to stop and identify.

The city will be cutting a check to him when it goes to court.

Right, got it. All the board experts made that clear yesterday. Unless he has a garage full of stolen goods, bolt cutters, locks snipped or 8 severed heads in Storage or Us. No one knows all of it yet Why what when where or how but experts saw a few min body cam.

Now it appears he has warrants. What else? As I said day#1.

Right, got it. All the board experts made that clear yesterday. Unless he has a garage full of stolen goods, bolt cutters, locks snipped or 8 severed heads in Storage or Us. No one knows all of it yet Why what when where or how but experts saw a few min body cam.

Now it appears he has warrants. What else? As I said day#1.
Actually I dont think it matters whether he has all those things. The cop was wrong regardless of whether it turns out this guy was a criminal. The cop had no way of knowing he was a criminal and arrested him for something you cant arrest someone for. It's quite possible that if the man in the video was a criminal that he will get off because the cop is a moron who either doesnt know the law in Oklahoma or more likely thinks it doent apply to him.

"We've had over 200 phone calls this weekend," Daugherty said.

While it isn't his department, the sheriff called for both officers involved to be taken off of the streets while OSBI works the case.

"I can understand why they feel the way that they do, because of hearing that child scream is one of the hardest things," Daugherty said.

That officer has a history of other complaints, including from his former colleagues, according to the sheriff.

I’m a Trump supporter you dumb-fck. I support the police and despise the Defund the police” movement. But the law is the law. Go educate yourself on Oklahoma law in regards to stop and identify.

I thought you were one of those Faun people? You’ve slipped up before? I’ll keep a watch on you possible TDS Anti-Cop street lawyer board experts. Can’t be too safe. I’ll put you in the “I DONT HAVE TO!” Crybaby group. Just answer the Cops questions. It ain’t that hard. You will sooner or later.

Actually I dont think it matters whether he has all those things. The cop was wrong regardless of whether it turns out this guy was a criminal. The cop had no way of knowing he was a criminal and arrested him for something you cant arrest someone for. It's quite possible that if the man in the video was a criminal that he will get off because the cop is a moron who either doesnt know the law in Oklahoma or more likely thinks it doent apply to him.

You don’t know what they knew. What they already called in on the laptop. No one does. Maybe he’s a known suspect burglar? Maybe a snitch told them? Could be. They don’t have to tell him what they know.

Turns out, maybe he’s sorta clean? Based on the bosses initial reaction. But I can be as right as anyone. In fact I trust Police 99.9% over street walking refusals. If wrong? So be it. I am right most of the time on everything.

Why is a search "beyond the line"? No one said asking for the id was over the line. The cop is well within the legal boundaries to ask for an ID. He's well inside the lines asking for a strip search. The man is well inside his legal rights to deny both. How was the guy in the video not nice. He said Im not required to give you my ID. He didnt call the cop an asshole or tell him to go fuck himself. Which he could have done as well legally.
They guy was combative and unpleasant. It's in the tone. He said "I don't have to give you my ID". What I would have said was. "I don't have my ID with me, officer, but I'd be glad to go home and get it for you." Had he demanded a strip search, I would have said, "I can do that officer, but would you mind if we dropped off my son at home, and then I can accompany you down to the station?"

Body cavity searches, as you asked about, are illegal and require a search warrant. The law says people have the right to expect bodily privacy. Had he then insisted on doing something illegal, I would have reminded him that it is illegal, and that I would be forced to seek legal redress at a later time, though I don't want to do that, and I would ask him to please not do it, but I wouldn't have resisted.

Forum List

Back