Walking in the morning while being black.

Really? Far better to wait until later when it goes up into the nineties?

What if that early was the only time they had before he went off to work?

I used to go walking all the time late in the evening because it was cool, dark and quiet, no people, no cars.
I now ride my bike late in the afternoons; same reason. Bike lights are needed after dark of course.

Greg

It was excessive but the man talked his way into arrest by telling the cop he did not have to show Id when he should have just kept his mouth shut
Oh, so if you are right, you should keep it to yourself, as you have no right to say the truth.
BS. Those were just dirty cops, ignoring the rights of citizens and on some power trip of their own.

I remember as a young man taking a walk in Arizona where I lived for a time. It was about midnight. All the sudden I was surrounded by four cop cars. Turns out my clothing matched that of a reported Peeping Tom. Jeans and a gray sweatshirt. The police asked for my ID. I didn't have it with me. I was always polite with them. They let me go. No incident at all. I obviously knew never to be rude or inciting. It's just common sense. Had this man done the same, he likely would have spared his son all that trauma.
In your case Cops had "probable cause" because you matched description of suspect they were in hot pursuit of. In that situation you can be detained, questioned & must give your Name & DOB.

Um; ME!!! Three kids in fact but not in a "hood". Mind you we were only a few houses from a beautiful garden open to the public.

Greg
I've never been to Australia and don't know a lot about the culture there. Perhaps it is safer. The early morning hours are often when the druggies are out looking for cars or other unattended valuables to steal around here. I live in a very safe neighborhood in Albuquerque's northeast heights, but I would not want to be out walking with little kids in the early dawn here. Especially in a secluded area.

In your case Cops had "probable cause" because you matched description of suspect they were in hot pursuit of. In that situation you can be detained, questioned & must give your Name & DOB.
I gave them everything they wanted, and am I sure I offered to go back and retrieve my ID, but I was nice and they let me off. Not entirely sure they believed I wasn't the Peeping Tom, though.

The whole story is still not known to internet posters. They guy could be a repeat criminal. The cops could have seen him hurriedly stash burglary tools behind a trash can? The kid might not be his? Nobody knows anything.

Police could be on a witch hunt and would be labeled “in the wrong” afterwards by Monday morning QB. Do you want Police watching out in advance for crime or not?
The whole story has nothing to do with repeat criminal. The cops did not know who he was, so it was not because he was a repeat criminal. The cops body cam video makes no mention of anything stashed, or questions about stashing anything in a trash can. You are just making up that lie for no reason, unsupported by the officer's body cam recording.

The 2nd officer handled it poorly. He should know the exact what to ask.
The second cop is as bad as the first cop, for letting the first cop assault the citizen, ignoring his rights. Fire them both and ban them from law enforcement in the United States.

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
The whole story has nothing to do with repeat criminal. The cops did not know who he was, so it was not because he was a repeat criminal. The cops body cam video makes no mention of anything stashed, or questions about stashing anything in a trash can. You are just making up that lie for no reason, unsupported by the officer's body cam recording.

You don’t know what they saw ten minutes before the stop or even on other days. I posted possibilities. You cant prove anything wrong or true. You don’t know it all from a short video.

Again, the allegedly combative anarchist ghetto lottery chasing son of gun got a trip downtown. Congratulations. Kid upset. And now he’s probably on a watch list.

Just answer questions and cooperate. Who doesn’t? Those with warrants (almost 100% of the time).

You’re way late to the board, your spew has already been gone over and over.

You don’t know what they saw ten minutes before the stop or even on other days. I posted possibilities. You cant prove anything wrong or true. You don’t know it all from a short video.

Again, the allegedly combative anarchist ghetto lottery chasing son of gun got a trip downtown. Congratulations. Kid upset. And now he’s probably on a watch list.

Just answer questions and cooperate. Who doesn’t? Those with warrants (almost 100% of the time).

You’re way late to the board, your spew has already been gone over and over.
You made crap up not inferred, spoken of, or shown on the officer's body cam footage, because you love all cop, believe whatever they say and do is above reproach, and are willing to make up crap to prove it. It is as simple as that.

• Brilliant
Reactions: IM2
And here we see the racist excuses to justify this from the same people who do this all the time.

I've never been to Australia and don't know a lot about the culture there. Perhaps it is safer. The early morning hours are often when the druggies are out looking for cars or other unattended valuables to steal around here. I live in a very safe neighborhood in Albuquerque's northeast heights, but I would not want to be out walking with little kids in the early dawn here. Especially in a secluded area.
Yes; VERY different here particularly in that neighbourhood. Also the gardeners started each morning at 6am so there were always reliable people around. They'd often arrive after we'd been there a while.

Greg

You made crap up not inferred, spoken of, or shown on the officer's body cam footage, because you love all cop, believe whatever they say and do is above reproach, and are willing to make up crap to prove it. It is as simple as that.

It’s called brainstorming or worst-case-analysis. Police don’t have to announce to the perp or the World what they already know. I could be right? You don’t know. Partially right.

I already said I agree they got it wrong AFTER the perp refused. Should have said “OK, have a nice walk”. But now he’s on full radar. They can look into him, keep a watch.

But, they dragged him in? Even though they should know, he can not answer anything or produce ID. Personally, I would cooperate. But im now older and wiser. You Board experts seem to be slow learners? CA jails are full of you legal experts. I would not want the Police dept on my back. What’s he hiding? Uh, warrants is #1 reason.

Every situation is unique for Police. Some people drive to a spot to take walks where there is shade. Not thru dirty trash can lined alleys or treeless storage yards.

OK, got it. Thats why he’s out 4A-6A with a kid. Waking up sleeping back yard dogs, barking, disturbing, scaring the boy.

Hi Lisa; I often took the dog and the kids for a walk in the early hours as they were awake and full of beans. We were literally only a few houses from a beautiful Private Garden open to the public with long rambling walks. the kids still say it was one of their fondest memories. Mind you; there were three with the eldest being four and the youngest just two. The baby was usually asleep so missed out.

Greg
And that means that it’s certainly possible, even likely, that a father can be out walking in the early morning hours before dark wih a child without causing trouble - but not necessarily, and particularly walking through an alley with dumpsters. I see nothing wrong with an officer asking for an ID, and the man should have given it. For the man to refuse to give his name or DOB is unnecessarily escalating the situation, and the father was wrong. The officer was wrong after that in being unnecessarily forceful.

The police are 100% in the wrong here. So yes, obviously this was way excessive. The man in the video was not required to identify himself. In addition he had committed no crime.

And that means that it’s certainly possible, even likely, that a father can be out walking in the early morning hours before dark wih a child without causing trouble - but not necessarily, and particularly walking through an alley with dumpsters. I see nothing wrong with an officer asking for an ID, and the man should have given it. For the man to refuse to give his name or DOB is unnecessarily escalating the situation, and the father was wrong. The officer was wrong after that in being unnecessarily forceful.
I agree the guy was a goose for not being more forthcoming. Needs more context though.

Greg

You have a lot worse chance of being treated well if you're not nice. Youi're talking about what "should" happen. That's what is irrelevant. Of course people should behave legally. I'm talking about practicality in dealing with human nature.

That's not the topic of this thread. But where is the line? If the cop asked to search him should he allow it to be nice? What if he wanted to strip search him? Body cavity? At what point does this man's rights kick in? When is the cop at fault in this?

The cops are allowed to ask for the ID. The man not legally obligated to provide it. Him not providing an ID (which he didn't have) or telling him his full name isn't an escalation. The police officer has no legal authority to demand it nor is the refusal a reason for arrest/detainment. I really don't understand why this concept is so very hard for so many people in this thread to grasp.

Forum List

Back