What is wrong with Windows 8: Illustrated.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
yes it is 23 minutes long, and yes you will likely have to be a bit of a geek (a compliment) to find it interesting.
If you are - this had me laughing and saying "YES" outloud several times.
Outstanding video..:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 8 is coming out in September with Windows 8.1. I think that includes the Start button.

Windows Vista will continue to be supported with updates through or until 2017 and Windows Vista 7 to be supported until 2020, from what I read.

I do know these things change. Just look at the deadlines for W-98 and XP. Those deadlines were extended for some time. The people were heard...lol..

Last spring it was time to buy a new computer. I have been with my computer store for six years. The owner told me he would put in Windows 7 because 8 was junk. I trusted him, and said fine.

Meanwhile, I became part of a discussion on Windows in USMB, and was told that my dealer just wanted to unload his Window 7. I did not believe it, and now months later, with not a single repair visit, that Windows 7 continues to run without difficulty, and my computer store agrees it will be serviceable until 2020.

I think someone from Microsoft was making the rounds of the message boards to push the new product. Microsoft is always in a hurry to get their products on the market, and does not pay enough attention to quality control. I see Bill Gates jetting around the world building his image as a philanthropist, when he should be investing in the quality of his piss-poor products. I am happy to see that Microsoft revenues are way down, I think the world has caught on to Bill Gates.

msbillgates.jpg

If you want the real story on Bill Gates, see the movie Antitrust.
Here is the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it is 23 minutes long, and yes you will likely have to be a bit of a geek (a compliment) to find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpwKiRKmZc

Funny, I found that Windows 8 is one of the best things Windows has ever produced. I no longer need to use third party apps, like Launchy, to get it to do what I want. The only beef I had was that the search function is not unified, and that is fixed in 8.1.

Windows 8 is coming out in September with Windows 8.1. I think that includes the Start button.

Windows Vista will continue to be supported with updates through or until 2017 and Windows Vista 7 to be supported until 2020, from what I read.

I do know these things change. Just look at the deadlines for W-98 and XP. Those deadlines were extended for some time. The people were heard...lol..
Startbutton yes, Startmenu no. And I think the support Vista ends 2014 together with XP.

We have to get a third party email program for Windows 8. I called my internet service provider and there is no support for Windows 8 and they are a major internet service provider.

Other computer forums were no help either.

I made the tragic mistake of buying a laptop (NON touch Screeen) with window 8.

Without doubt wondows 8 is the worst, the very worst, the absolute very worst EVER, OS I have ever had the ill fortune to own.

Completely and utterly without function.

One day soon I shall take that poor haunted laptop to an exorcist to have windows 8 cast back into the pits of computer geek hell where it clearly must have been spawned.

I was first introduced to Win 8 when I purchase a laptop for my wife's last year's Christmas present. I found it horribly confusing at first. I always ran XP X64 Pro on my desktop, but when I tried to play Crysis 3, I discovered that it wouldn't play on XP. I then upgraded to Windows 8. Then the fun began as I tried over and over, only to have Windows 8 fail to install. My motherboard is an ASUS P5Q with DDR2 RAM. I searched in vain for a Windows 8 BIOS upgrade and had to settle for a BIOS that supported Windows 7. The software finally installed. I later discovered that any software that will work with Windows 7 will also work with Windows 8 and that both applications are the same with the only difference, being the metro interface of Windows 8. Now, I'm playing games right and left. As soon as I boot into the Metro, I just click on the desktop picture, and it's just like using XP.

The only thing I found troubling is that you can't use Outlook Express, but then again, you can't use it in Windows 7 or Vista. Windows 8 e-mail program is trash, but if you are running Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010, you can always configure Outlook to be your e-mail program, and you are good to go.

I also did manage to purchase two very good Windows 8 books, Windows 8 Bible and Windows 8 Hacks. I highly recommend these books to help you out. There is also a free download for Windows 8 for Dummies. The HP laptop that I purchased was nice enough to supply a Windows 8 tutor program.

Here's your Windows 8 for Dummies.

http://marketing.dell.com/Global/FileLib/Windows_8/windows-8-ebook.pdf

Windows 8 on a NON-TOUCHSCREEN PC is the worst computing experience I have had in the 30 years I have been using computers.

The ONLY solution is to rip that piece of shit OS out of the box and replace it with windows 7 or some alternate OS.

Without doubt wondows 8 is the worst, the very worst, the absolute very worst EVER, OS I have ever had the ill fortune to own.

One day soon I shall take that poor haunted laptop to an exorcist to have windows 8 cast back into the pits of computer geek hell where it clearly must have been spawned.

I share your grief, but I was faced with a dilemma. My wife is rather computer illiterate so I had to learn that system quite fast so I could help her along. Back last November when I purchased the laptop, all laptops were being loaded with Windows 8 Basic, vs. Windows 7 so I had no other choice but to embrace Windows 8. For my opinion, I don't know why Microsoft sees fit to have to come out with a new operating system all the time. I know why they did 8 the way they did, to make PC operating system just like what was in the tablet and Iphone, but it still isn't a good fit. It was so bad that I had to shut off the PC just to get the apps to turn off. Windows 8 is unfortunately now a non-intuitive quagmire for someone who has never seen it before, like in my case, when I first powered up the new laptop to prepare it for my wife's Christmas present. The learning curve is steep at first.

Funny, I found that Windows 8 is one of the best things Windows has ever produced. I no longer need to use third party apps, like Launchy, to get it to do what I want. The only beef I had was that the search function is not unified, and that is fixed in 8.1.

Yes, and there are 10 other people in America who agree with you.:lol:

Beware of the MS Office scam. It appears that one gets a free version of MS Office...but it's really just a limited time trial. If you start creating documents, fairly soon, the apps will stop working and you will be offered an annual subscription to turn them back on.

Bait and switch.

Startbutton yes, Startmenu no. And I think the support Vista ends 2014 together with XP.

On April 8, 2014, it's the "end of life" for Windows XP.

Now, that doesn't mean XP will suddenly stop working. You can keep using it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.

End of life means Microsoft won't be releasing any more security updates to the average user. Any security flaws that hackers find won't be fixed. Your computer will be a sitting duck, even with security software installed. Click here to see what free security software I recommend.

I know many die-hard XP users are cynical about this news. They think Microsoft is trying to force people buy new computers. Microsoft is in business to make money, so it does want people to upgrade. But in Microsoft's defense, this isn't something special for XP.

Microsoft has done the same with Windows 95, 98 and Me. Vista's end of life is April 11, 2017 and Windows 7's is January 14, 2020. In fact, Microsoft extended XP's end-of-life date several times. XP should have been gone years ago.

Here's a fun fact: XP first appeared at the end of 2001. And------

Read more
: Death of Windows XP quickly approaching | Fox News

Last edited:
Beware of the MS Office scam. It appears that one gets a free version of MS Office...but it's really just a limited time trial. If you start creating documents, fairly soon, the apps will stop working and you will be offered an annual subscription to turn them back on.

Bait and switch.

Just a free sample of Office, but with the caveat to buy it soon. That's the same that my laptop provided as well along with a month's copy of Norton Anti-virus, which did find a worm on my system, forcing me to run the recovery disk.

Just before I retired from the Department of Defense, I picked up a $25 copy of Office 2010. That's something the Navy is doing for civilians and military, providing a full professional copy of Office for only about $9.00, and if you can't download it, then a CD mailed to the house for around $25 or so. Probably the other military branches are providing that amenity as well.

I share your grief, but I was faced with a dilemma. My wife is rather computer illiterate so I had to learn that system quite fast so I could help her along. Back last November when I purchased the laptop, all laptops were being loaded with Windows 8 Basic, vs. Windows 7 so I had no other choice but to embrace Windows 8. For my opinion, I don't know why Microsoft sees fit to have to come out with a new operating system all the time. I know why they did 8 the way they did, to make PC operating system just like what was in the tablet and Iphone, but it still isn't a good fit. It was so bad that I had to shut off the PC just to get the apps to turn off. Windows 8 is unfortunately now a non-intuitive quagmire for someone who has never seen it before, like in my case, when I first powered up the new laptop to prepare it for my wife's Christmas present. The learning curve is steep at first.
What learning curve does it have? I´d call it wrath curve...

Yes, and there are 10 other people in America who agree with you.:lol:

Are all of them gamers who can think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkwq8h6JBck]Windows 8 Review for Gamers - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't like it for the first couple of days, but once I figured out the macros that let me get where I need to go it is the best thing ever. It is so good that I am seriously considering a Windows Phone.

I've just bought a windows 8 touch screen laptop.
My first impression wasn't positive but I'm slowly getting used to it.
Unlike windows 7, I need to actually train myself on how to use the thing - The first time I've had to do that since my first computer.
That fact suggests, the software is a problem.

This weekend is the first chance I've had to really play with the thing so I'm still trying to work stuff out. The biggest pigbag is the inability to minimize many of the windows with a single mouse click as the three boxes, top right, are missing from many programs, including google chrome.

Forum List

Back