🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What movie can you watch over and over?

I just watched Avatar again day before yesterday. This makes it about the 20th time, lol.

My sister gave me The Godfather I and II. So guess what I will be watching..again..this weekend? ;)

Ewww. Avatar was one of the most overrated movies in history! :tongue:

On the surface it was quite entertaining, and well made. Despite the confiscation and bastardization of Roger Dean's artwork which has been around for 40 years...

Roger Dean

ivan.jpg

I often enjoy curling up with one of my two favorite movies and thinking -- which shall it be? Eisenstein's Ivan Grozny [Ivan the Terrible], or Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad?

The magnificent Ivan Grozny! The enchantment of its black-and-white photography! Those wonderful tableau! -- I never tire of them! -- such an insight into 19th century acting styles, preserved in a Russian time capsule -- a glimpse of what otherwise would have been lost forever to history!

And the fascinating interleaving of the Byzantine Empire, 16th century Russia, and the State of Paranoia ruled by Stalin!

Hard to get more history in so short a space!

Last edited:
Last-Year-at-Marienbad-e1324561602228.jpg

But then there is Alan Resnais' masterwork! -- his marvelous 1961 classic, L'Année Dernière à Marienbad: "Last Year at Marienbad." It resonates so much with my vision of Western civilization!

There are so many wonderful aspects of Western culture, and I would feel an unutterable impoverishment of my soul if I were no longer a participant in that civilization, particularly its "high culture." Yet, deep in my heart, there is a kind of disgust for the core of that civilization.

What is it that I find so repellent about Western civilization? Well, it is an intensely militaristic culture, and its oppressive armies, tyrannical rulers and proto-policestate brainwashing have been at its core since the days of the Roman Empire.

And then the ugly, heavy impedimenta of European nobility! -- which, of course, was transmitted across the Atlantic to infect America.

So different, so very different from the lightness, the grace and the elegance of traditional Chinese and Japanese art!

But, from a purely artistic standard, what I find so offensive about the culture of the West can be summed up in a single word: grandeur. Even worse: folie de grandeur ! Running like a cancer through the Western soul is an obsessive and unceasing egoism and vanity, an urge to present oneself as more than one really is. There is a dreadful pomposity about so much of the traditional high culture of Europe; one sees it in music, architecture, painting, cuisine, even furniture! Everything is unremittingly grand, crowded with ornateness, so often wearying to eye, ear and mind. All those nobles and prelates insisting on their portraits being crammed into the most sacred works of art!

Since the artists were the creatures --- indeed, the slaves --- of the nobility and the Church, they had no choice but to flatter the obscenely inflated vanity of those who held power over them.

L'Année Dernière à Marienbad exemplifies all this magnificently. There is never a moment's respite from grandeur -- it is stifling, obsessive and hallucinatory. The people are slaves to convention, to formality, to the lies of their delusions. There is not an inch of space on which to relax, to be human. Remember the wonderful scene in the formal gardens of the spa: only the people cast shadows! only the not quite alive people! while all the rest of the world -- the trees, bushes, buildings -- is magnificent and dead and shadowless! The humans wander like aimless ghosts through the grandeur of European civilization --- and through its postwar spiritual wreckage! The film has a quality of dream, nightmare, delirium ---- even of the after-death state.

Some good choices in there. I wasn't as big on the second and third Rings movies, but still. :)
Braveheart was great. Gladiator I thought was overrated but still a pretty good movie.
Blade Runner and the original Star Wars movies are obviously classics of the genre, as are the first two Alien movies.
The Abyss is starting to be dated, but still a fun watch.

However much we may disagree in reality, we often seem to agree on fiction. :tongue:

I read "The Abyss" years before the film was released. It was written in conjunction with the film, but released right as production began.

I guess from a special effects POV, it's getting dated - but the story and subject matter are timeless.

Some good choices in there. I wasn't as big on the second and third Rings movies, but still. :)
Braveheart was great. Gladiator I thought was overrated but still a pretty good movie.
Blade Runner and the original Star Wars movies are obviously classics of the genre, as are the first two Alien movies.
The Abyss is starting to be dated, but still a fun watch.

However much we may disagree in reality, we often seem to agree on fiction. :tongue:

I read "The Abyss" years before the film was released. It was written in conjunction with the film, but released right as production began.

I guess from a special effects POV, it's getting dated - but the story and subject matter are timeless.

Movies that can do that are true gems.

'
I think it is retrogressive to think of our situation as primarily a left versus right battle. That is so....so....20th century! I see it primarily as a confrontation between rationality and irrationality.

Irrationality dominates the life of humans; it has tremendous momentum and must run its course until it crashes. Struggling with it is mainly a waste of energy. Nothing will be done until we live in a wasteland of rubble, and the survivors have had their faces ground down into the dirt of their hopes and delusions.

There are two images which seem to me to be especially apposite to our present time. Both are from the second "Jurassic Park" movie. A group of helpless, terrified humans are running in disorganized panic down a dark, muddy jungle path pursued by a tyrannosaurus rex. What more perfect representation could there be for what awaits humanity in the 21st century! One guess what the dinosaur represents! (hint: spelled backwards it is "ytilanoitarri"). If humans thought, in the 20th century, that they were helpless creatures being consumed by forces which they could not understand and could not control -- they ain't seen nuthin' yet!!

tumblr_m9030jn6GN1qbshgko1_500.gif

The other image is of the tyrannosaurus rex silhouetted against the glittering, modern wonderland city of San Diego and bellowing in rage and frustration. A dinosaur raging through San Diego is very like the Neo-Cons and their ilk stalking through the twenty-first century and bellowing at what they cannot understand.

The-Lost-World-3.jpg

Isn't it quintessentially American that the people in the film are completely uninteresting, while what one really is fascinated by are the monsters which they unleash?

Last edited:
'
I think it is retrogressive to think of our situation as primarily a left versus right battle. That is so....so....20th century! I see it primarily as a confrontation between rationality and irrationality.

Irrationality dominates the life of humans; it has tremendous momentum and must run its course until it crashes. Struggling with it is mainly a waste of energy. Nothing will be done until we live in a wasteland of rubble, and the survivors have had their faces ground down into the dirt of their hopes and delusions.

There are two images which seem to me to be especially apposite to our present time. Both are from the second "Jurassic Park" movie. A group of helpless, terrified humans are running in disorganized panic down a dark, muddy jungle path pursued by a tyrannosaurus rex. What more perfect representation could there be for what awaits humanity in the 21st century! One guess what the dinosaur represents! (hint: spelled backwards it is "ytilanoitarri"). If humans thought, in the 20th century, that they were helpless creatures being consumed by forces which they could not understand and could not control -- they ain't seen nuthin' yet!!

tumblr_m9030jn6GN1qbshgko1_500.gif

The other image is of the tyrannosaurus rex silhouetted against the glittering, modern wonderland city of San Diego and bellowing in rage and frustration. A dinosaur raging through San Diego is very like the Neo-Cons and their ilk stalking through the twenty-first century and bellowing at what they cannot understand.

The-Lost-World-3.jpg

Isn't it quintessentially American that the people in the film are completely uninteresting, while what one really is fascinated by are the monsters which they unleash?
You don't have to worry, numan. There are more people on the left of the aisle in Southern California than there are of my conservative "ilk." Don't worry, be happy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Orgasmo is another good one!​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKURr_YoNXI]Orgazmo Trex scene - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORCnvGnaAM]Orgazmo - I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbA532gcU_g]How's it going G-Fresh? - Orgazmo (1997) - YouTube[/ame]

My favorite part in that last scene, is right after the mafia guys trash the sushi bar, someone say's, "why don't they call the police" and everyone just laughs!

How could I forget Mars Attacks Any movie that destroys Congress is a must see!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5Mf8qZOtc&feature=player_detailpage]Mars Attacks! Tom Jones Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
'

Dear me!! I hope that statement doesn't get you on a Terrorist Watch List, Pops !!

I'm fairly certain that I've seen the movie The Big Lebowski over 400 times.

I can recite most of the dialog from memory, and generally annoy the piss out of anyone watching it with me - but I am almost always in the mood to watch that movie.

Lord of the Rings
Pulp Fiction
The original Jaws
Harry Potter films
Good Will Hunting
Steel Magnolias(hit her! Go ahead...Knock her block off!)
Finding Nemo
It's a Wonderful Life(at Christmas)
Plus just about every superhero movie made

Exceptions to the superhero rule:
First Hulk movie(with Nick Nolte)
Superman movies...thus far. I've seen them all...I think the character is TOO clean and perfect...Capt. America could be that way too...but he has the rest of the Avengers to keep him grounded.
The 2nd Ghost Rider.

Forum List

Back