What movie can you watch over and over?

I never watched Babylon 5. At this point I think it's too old for me to try and get into it. I've heard good things about it, though.

I've watched Whedon's shows multiple times....well, except for Dollhouse.

B5 is timeless. It will never lose it's appeal.

J. Michael Straczynski tells a tale that puts Star Wars to shame.

The Wizard of Oz- I have watched every year since I was 4
A Christmas Story- I watch over and over on Christmas Day
Its a Wonderful Life- I watch every Christmas
Shawshank Redemption- If I'm switching channels I have to watch at least part of it
Godfathers- I have to see at least once a year
Goodfellas- See Godfathers
The Quiet Man- Watch every St Patricks Day
American Grafitti- If I'm switching channels and it is on...I watch
Major League- Gotta see before baseball season starts
Spaceballs- Just makes me laugh

There are a lot of old movies on TBS that I watch constantly. Casablanca, Grapes of Wrath, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill a Mockingbird and dozens of others

There are certain movies I'd watch over and over, but I prefer to watch certain director's works over and over.

Hitchcock, Capra, Ford, Wellman, Allen, Scorcese, Coppola, Altman, Ashby, Welles, Wilder, Curtiz, Minnelli just to name a few.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJs-f3NC6s]The Ten Commandments (8/10) Movie CLIP - Moses is Arrested (1956) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Hero (2002)

Best watched with subtitles. :thup:

hero.jpg

Last edited:
most John Wayne westerns

most but not all war movies

and this horse race !!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcMwRdNuTk]Benhur Chariot race1 - YouTube[/ame]

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Pulp Fiction.
Kill Bill 1 & 2.
Sean Connery Bond films.

Hypnotoad

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOfbnGkuGc]Everybody Loves Hypnotoad - YouTube[/ame]

Last night Hubby and I watched "The Sound of Music" yet again. In two more years this movie will be 50 years old. We know almost every lyric by heart and can sing along. We can recite most of the dialogue along with the actors. But it was just as beautiful and enjoyable as ever.

For me, THAT is what a great movie is. It has staying power and you just want to see and hear it again now and then.

Last night Hubby and I watched "The Sound of Music" yet again. In two more years this movie will be 50 years old. We know almost every lyric by heart and can sing along. We can recite most of the dialogue along with the actors. But it was just as beautiful and enjoyable as ever.

For me, THAT is what a great movie is. It has staying power and you just want to see and hear it again now and then.
The thing I never understood about The Sound of Music is Captain Von Trapp as a submarine commander in the Austrian Navy. Austria, as the winners of the Geography Bee know, is a land locked country. Why are they investing in submarines? Maybe in a country where women spin in bliss on mountain tops, a navy is the first priority for defense.:tongue:

The thing I never understood about The Sound of Music is Captain Von Trapp as a submarine commander in the Austrian Navy. Austria, as the winners of the Geography Bee know, is a land locked country. Why are they investing in submarines? Maybe in a country where women spin in bliss on mountain tops, a navy is the first priority for defense.:tongue:

LOL. In reading the history of Captain Von Trapp, I believe at one point he was head of the Austro-Hungarian navy prior to WWII but he did have a fascination with and love for submarines. (You just can't figure what anybody wants to do for a hobby, yes? I have a nephew who collects old glass insulators that used to be on power poles--travels all over the region to attend shows featuring just those.)

Anyhow, your question did prompt me to look up the Austro-Hungarian Navy and there is this in Wikipedia which is probably pretty accurate:

Coat of arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy.png
Coat of Arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy

Active
1786–1918

Country
Austria-Hungary

Branch
Navy

Role
Defense of the Adriatic Sea

Size
4 Dreadnoughts
9 Pre-dreadnoughts
4 Coastal defence ships
3 Armoured cruisers
6 Light cruisers
30 Destroyers
36 Torpedo boats
6 Submarines

. . . .The Austro-Hungarian Navy was the naval force of Austria-Hungary. Its official name in German was kaiserliche und königliche Kriegsmarine (Imperial and Royal War Navy), abbreviated as k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

This navy existed under this name after the formation of the Dual Monarchy in 1867 and continued in service until the end of World War I in 1918. Prior to 1867, the country's naval forces were those of the Austrian Empire. By 1915 a total of 33,735 naval personnel served in the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

Neither Austria nor Hungary had a coast or sea ports after World War I, thus having little or no need for a naval force. The available ports in the Adriatic Sea became parts of Italy and Yugoslavia (today Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro).

Ships of the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine were designated SMS, for Seiner Majestät Schiff (His Majesty's Ship).
Austro-Hungarian Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And from this pre-WWI map of Europe, we can see that Austria-Hungry did have an extensive coastline. Gee, the movies can be educational, yes? :)

europeprewwi.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw one last night.

42 the Jackie Robinson story. Gonna have to celebrate the start of baseball season with that each year.

Forum List

Back