What movie can you watch over and over?

Last night Hubby and I watched "The Sound of Music" yet again. In two more years this movie will be 50 years old. We know almost every lyric by heart and can sing along. We can recite most of the dialogue along with the actors. But it was just as beautiful and enjoyable as ever.

For me, THAT is what a great movie is. It has staying power and you just want to see and hear it again now and then.
The thing I never understood about The Sound of Music is Captain Von Trapp as a submarine commander in the Austrian Navy. Austria, as the winners of the Geography Bee know, is a land locked country. Why are they investing in submarines? Maybe in a country where women spin in bliss on mountain tops, a navy is the first priority for defense.:tongue:

LOL. In reading the history of Captain Von Trapp, I believe at one point he was head of the Austro-Hungarian navy prior to WWII but he did have a fascination with and love for submarines. (You just can't figure what anybody wants to do for a hobby, yes? I have a nephew who collects old glass insulators that used to be on power poles--travels all over the region to attend shows featuring just those.)

Anyhow, your question did prompt me to look up the Austro-Hungarian Navy and there is this in Wikipedia which is probably pretty accurate:

Coat of arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy.png
Coat of Arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy

Active
1786–1918

Country
Austria-Hungary

Branch
Navy

Role
Defense of the Adriatic Sea

Size
4 Dreadnoughts
9 Pre-dreadnoughts
4 Coastal defence ships
3 Armoured cruisers
6 Light cruisers
30 Destroyers
36 Torpedo boats
6 Submarines

. . . .The Austro-Hungarian Navy was the naval force of Austria-Hungary. Its official name in German was kaiserliche und königliche Kriegsmarine (Imperial and Royal War Navy), abbreviated as k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

This navy existed under this name after the formation of the Dual Monarchy in 1867 and continued in service until the end of World War I in 1918. Prior to 1867, the country's naval forces were those of the Austrian Empire. By 1915 a total of 33,735 naval personnel served in the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

Neither Austria nor Hungary had a coast or sea ports after World War I, thus having little or no need for a naval force. The available ports in the Adriatic Sea became parts of Italy and Yugoslavia (today Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro).

Ships of the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine were designated SMS, for Seiner Majestät Schiff (His Majesty's Ship).
Austro-Hungarian Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And from this pre-WWI map of Europe, we can see that Austria-Hungry did have an extensive coastline. Gee, the movies can be educational, yes? :)

europeprewwi.jpg
Where's Poland?

The thing I never understood about The Sound of Music is Captain Von Trapp as a submarine commander in the Austrian Navy. Austria, as the winners of the Geography Bee know, is a land locked country. Why are they investing in submarines? Maybe in a country where women spin in bliss on mountain tops, a navy is the first priority for defense.:tongue:

LOL. In reading the history of Captain Von Trapp, I believe at one point he was head of the Austro-Hungarian navy prior to WWII but he did have a fascination with and love for submarines. (You just can't figure what anybody wants to do for a hobby, yes? I have a nephew who collects old glass insulators that used to be on power poles--travels all over the region to attend shows featuring just those.)

Anyhow, your question did prompt me to look up the Austro-Hungarian Navy and there is this in Wikipedia which is probably pretty accurate:

Coat of arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy.png
Coat of Arms of the Austro-Hungarian Navy

Active
1786–1918

Country
Austria-Hungary

Branch
Navy

Role
Defense of the Adriatic Sea

Size
4 Dreadnoughts
9 Pre-dreadnoughts
4 Coastal defence ships
3 Armoured cruisers
6 Light cruisers
30 Destroyers
36 Torpedo boats
6 Submarines

. . . .The Austro-Hungarian Navy was the naval force of Austria-Hungary. Its official name in German was kaiserliche und königliche Kriegsmarine (Imperial and Royal War Navy), abbreviated as k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

This navy existed under this name after the formation of the Dual Monarchy in 1867 and continued in service until the end of World War I in 1918. Prior to 1867, the country's naval forces were those of the Austrian Empire. By 1915 a total of 33,735 naval personnel served in the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine.

Neither Austria nor Hungary had a coast or sea ports after World War I, thus having little or no need for a naval force. The available ports in the Adriatic Sea became parts of Italy and Yugoslavia (today Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro).

Ships of the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine were designated SMS, for Seiner Majestät Schiff (His Majesty's Ship).
Austro-Hungarian Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And from this pre-WWI map of Europe, we can see that Austria-Hungry did have an extensive coastline. Gee, the movies can be educational, yes? :)

europeprewwi.jpg
Where's Poland?

From I think the late 18th century to I think 1918--history class was a LONG time ago--there was no independent Polish state. The Poles got their own country back as a result of WWI.

Last edited:
Looking at that map...I was kind of agog at Ottoman Empire. Wow. I feel so old.

I think I already mentioned it, but LOTR's trilogy. I just watched it again yesterday. Tonight, after Game Of Thrones, I plan to watch avatar. Again.

I think I already mentioned it, but LOTR's trilogy. I just watched it again yesterday. Tonight, after Game Of Thrones, I plan to watch avatar. Again.
You wouldn't be watching that shit if you'd have seen Orgazmo!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5PJCehkn0]SUCK THAT COCK | Orgazmo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

europeprewwi.jpg
Where's Poland?

From I think the late 18th century to I think 1918--history class was a LONG time ago--there was no independent Polish state. The Poles got their own country back as a result of WWI.
I checked Wiki - you are correct!

Fried Green Tomatoes. Which is coming on right now, so...I'm off to my bed to watch it.

Alien (1 and 2)

Back To The Future (all 3)

Steel Magnolias

Gone With The Wind

The Ten Commandments (Charlton Heston)

The Wizard Of Oz

There's a bunch of others, but I suppose this is a good start.

JAWS

Shallow Grave
Shirley Valentine
Birdcage
Harvey
Young Frankenstein
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Duel
Fargo
Muriel's Wedding
Bad Seed

There are Many more, but that's a good start.

After seeing it in the theater 12 times, I don't know how I could forget Gladiator.
It's a Russell Crowe thing.

Also:

Hannibal (but I had read the book before seeing it the first time which adds much detail to Hannibal's character)
Verdict
Fahrenheit 451 - from Ray Bradbury's book. ...Do NOT confuse with Fahrenheit 911, which is the piece of crap from Michael Moore)
The British Miss Marple movies - ONLY the ones with Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple.
Mother Love - (1989) - Diana Rigg is the MIL from HELL. Originally a miniseries - 3 parts.

Last edited:
For the past several weeks until recently, Encore had been offering "Out of Africa" - Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. I had seen it once decades ago, and this time I was taken in by the story line, the tremendous sound track, and cinemaphotography that you find in few movies. Watched it several times over the weeks it was featured and now that it has gone off, I ordered the DVD.

Forum List

Back