What religion, tradition, or denomination did the figures in the Bible practice?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
With so many traditions of Judaism and Christianity, yet they all rely on the same canonized Bible (excluding Judaism of course. They all use the same Tanach though,) I've often wondered which is the "true" version those people practiced.

Until G-d gave Torah to Moses at Mt. Sinai, nothing had been written down so all Jews could follow the same things. Asking my rabbi about something relating to this (namely why G-d would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah before giving the law and lists of sins, or punishing Pharaoh, etc. his answer was prior to Mt. Sinai and receiving the Torah everyone (Jews and Gentiles alike) were under the Noahide Laws. These are the 7 "universal" commandments for all humankind to obey are a basically a condensed form of the 10 Commandments.

Unfortunately, the existence of the 7 universal laws aren't found in the Tanach (OT is a heavily edited and corrupted version of the Tanach.) But rather in the Jewish Talmud. Which itself wasn't written down and compiled until relatively modern times (around 300 CE.) So until the writings existed, the existence of such laws could only be spread by word of mouth.

Since the Jewish Tanach wasn't compiled until (very roughly, dates differ) 500BCE, and the Talmud after that, there could be no agreed upon Noahide Laws since they're taken from the Torah (first 5 books of the Tanach.)

So what did Adam and Eve, Moses, and everyone else practice insofar as religious tradition? What kind of Judaism?

The traditions extant today are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and smaller ones such as Chabad, and Karaite. Though most use the Talmud ('Talmudic Judaism' et al.) Karaites are one that does not. They reason only the Tanach is 'authoratative,' whereas the Talmud is simply Man's commentaries on Tanach, thus not 'directly from G-d, and thus not binding.' It's a position I happen to share but that's another matter.

Since everyone Jew and Christian (and Muslim but I'll limit this to the first two) recognize the validity of the Tanach/OT, yet follow religions and denominations not practiced by those figures, are these Scripturally wrong? If so, which one if any is right?

According to the OT account, it is clear that the Israelite tribes practiced paganism, and that occasional zealots would come along and try to discourage these practices. This seemed to have gone on until the exile, when the common people who were left behind amalgamated with the surrounding nations.

With so many traditions of Judaism and Christianity, yet they all rely on the same canonized Bible (excluding Judaism of course. They all use the same Tanach though,) I've often wondered which is the "true" version those people practiced.

Until G-d gave Torah to Moses at Mt. Sinai, nothing had been written down so all Jews could follow the same things. Asking my rabbi about something relating to this (namely why G-d would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah before giving the law and lists of sins, or punishing Pharaoh, etc. his answer was prior to Mt. Sinai and receiving the Torah everyone (Jews and Gentiles alike) were under the Noahide Laws. These are the 7 "universal" commandments for all humankind to obey are a basically a condensed form of the 10 Commandments.

Unfortunately, the existence of the 7 universal laws aren't found in the Tanach (OT is a heavily edited and corrupted version of the Tanach.) But rather in the Jewish Talmud. Which itself wasn't written down and compiled until relatively modern times (around 300 CE.) So until the writings existed, the existence of such laws could only be spread by word of mouth.

Since the Jewish Tanach wasn't compiled until (very roughly, dates differ) 500BCE, and the Talmud after that, there could be no agreed upon Noahide Laws since they're taken from the Torah (first 5 books of the Tanach.)

So what did Adam and Eve, Moses, and everyone else practice insofar as religious tradition? What kind of Judaism?

The traditions extant today are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and smaller ones such as Chabad, and Karaite. Though most use the Talmud ('Talmudic Judaism' et al.) Karaites are one that does not. They reason only the Tanach is 'authoratative,' whereas the Talmud is simply Man's commentaries on Tanach, thus not 'directly from G-d, and thus not binding.' It's a position I happen to share but that's another matter.

Since everyone Jew and Christian (and Muslim but I'll limit this to the first two) recognize the validity of the Tanach/OT, yet follow religions and denominations not practiced by those figures, are these Scripturally wrong? If so, which one if any is right?

All us saints are taken out of religion before God teaches us about our invisible existence within His mind.

All us saints are taken out of religion before God teaches us about our invisible existence within His mind.

Far out man

Far out man

Our Creator is so far out of this world that none of His people have ever known Him except His chosen servant who had illusions of flesh ( prophets and saints ) write and speak for Him.

[MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION]

Church historian Lightfoot said by the end of the 1st Century there was already Congregational, Episcopal and Presbyterian forms of church government and they heard right from the Apostles.

I have a really simple answer, one that I guarantee you will not like.

Not fishing for a specific answer. None will be liked or disliked. Just a question worth discussion I thought. :)

rather difficult to follow the traditions of any particular religion until that religion has traditions......

Adam and Eve walked in the garden and spoke with God.....does that then mean they practiced the walking in the garden and speaking with God religion?.....

They were pagans.. Remember how they quickly reverted to worshiping the Golden Calf while Moses was on the mountain... in spite of all the miracles they had witnessed in Egypt????

The story of Moses is didactic literature.. its not history. The Exodus didn't happen.. Its a story of redemption.

They were pagans.. Remember how they quickly reverted to worshiping the Golden Calf while Moses was on the mountain... in spite of all the miracles they had witnessed in Egypt????

The story of Moses is didactic literature.. its not history. The Exodus didn't happen.. Its a story of redemption.

I dunno about that, I wasn't there. :) Googling around for 'exodus as historical event' yields some interesting hits though and it seems the jury's still out.

Not fishing for a specific answer. None will be liked or disliked. Just a question worth discussion I thought. :)

How is it worth discussion? There was no form of Judaism in existence before the laws priesthood was bestowed upon Aaron. It is as silly as insisting that Melchizedek was a Mormon.

rather difficult to follow the traditions of any particular religion until that religion has traditions......

Adam and Eve walked in the garden and spoke with God.....does that then mean they practiced the walking in the garden and speaking with God religion?.....

That tradition was broken.

HTML:
[CODE][/CODE]

I dunno about that, I wasn't there. :) Googling around for 'exodus as historical event' yields some interesting hits though and it seems the jury's still out.

Having an internet site does not equal intelligence. Just look at this site.

"Scripture" is written by man. Other men, in convocation or holy council, deem it "inspired' or not "inspired" by a higher power. This does not necessarily mean it is "written" by a higher power. I just means the political powers that control the religion at the time deem it as such.

As we can see in the 21st century, whether it be the OT, the NT, the Talmud, the Tanakh, or the Koran, they are all anachronistic. We can see them all as having been written by the men of their age, because the ethics and morality of the consciousness of our species has evolved past the politics that had been infused by the mortals that wrote these great works. (You could say the lower consciousness mortals had base material vibratory bias.)

Does this mean we should reject them or refuse to believe they have the spark of divinity in them? Of course not. But, just as Jefferson created his own version of a Bible to separate that which he found as not believable and superfluous, with that which was essential, we should bear in mind, that RELIGION = POLITICS + SPIRITUALITY.

So, now we can get to the heart of your question. What is it you really want to know? We know now that the human species was neither as politically, humanly or ethically as evolved as it is today. And most religious and spiritual leaders of today who specialize in the fields of theology, philosophy and metaphysics would all tell you that our species has likewise evolved spiritually way beyond what we knew in the first century. Any student at University that has taken a comparative theology class, comparing Eastern Philosophies with western traditions could tell you that.

Are you curious about the politics, meaning DOGMA? or the spirituality, meaning the collective consciousness, that from which the elder race of humans mind came?

If it is the DOGMA, look no further than the law of Code of Hammurabi. It is from the traditions of the Babylonians the all the Semites came, so their history and politics, meaning how they were to construct a society came from the wise King Hummurabi. They all knew how they were to act, because tradition told them so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi
406px-Code-de-Hammurabi-1.jpg

Side view of the stele "fingertip".​
Things like this for example;
The laws covered the subjects of:

Religion

Ex. Law #127: "If any one "point the finger" at a sister of a god or the wife of any one, and can not prove it, this man shall be taken before the judges and his brow shall be marked. (by cutting the skin, or perhaps hair.)" [21]

Military service

Ex. Law #133: "If a man is taken prisoner in war, and there is a sustenance in his house, but his wife leave house and court, and go to another house: because this wife did not keep her court, and went to another house, she shall be judicially condemned and thrown into the water." [22]

Trade

Ex. Law #265: "If a herdsman, to whose care cattle or sheep have been entrusted, be guilty of fraud and make false returns of the natural increase, or sell them for money, then shall he be convicted and pay the owner ten times the loss." [23]

Slavery

Ex. Law #15: "If any one take a male or female slave of the court, or a male or female slave of a freed man, outside the city gates, he shall be put to death." [24]>

The duties of workers

Ex. Law #42: "If any one take over a field to till it, and obtain no harvest therefrom, it must be proved that he did no work on the field, and he must deliver grain, just as his neighbor raised, to the owner of the field." [25]

Thievery

Ex. Law #22: "If any one is committing a robbery and is caught, then he shall be put to death." [26]

Food

Ex. Law #104: "If a merchant give an agent corn, wool, oil, or any other goods to transport, the agent shall give a receipt for the amount, and compensate the merchant therefor. Then he shall obtain a receipt from the merchant for the money that he gives the merchant." [27]

One of the most well known of Hammurabi's laws is:

Ex. Law #196. "If a man destroy the eye of another man, they shall destroy his eye. If one break a man's bone, they shall break his bone. If one destroy the eye of a freeman or break the bone of a freeman he shall pay one mana of silver. If one destroy the eye of a man's slave or break a bone of a man's slave he shall pay one-half his price."[28]

Hammurabi had many other punishments as well. If a boy struck his father they would cut off the boy's hand or fingers (translations vary).[29][30]

And this is like, what? 900 years or so before Moses? So come on, they knew what the laws were, everyone knew at that point, it was cultural, it is from where they descended.

However, let us not forget the spiritual component. The central hub of activity for the elder race, where it was still strongest in the ancient world, was in Egypt. The Ancient knowledge had been long lost, but the scripture still remained.

From all of that, as most scholars will tell you, Judaism like as the others, used to be a polytheistic religion. It mimicked very closely the religion of Egypt. All western religions were founded by Hermes-Trismmegistus. The Semitic peoples were just either more intelligent, or more spiritually advanced in their ability to understand his teachings, thus could more clearly appreciate the wisdom encapsulated in Emerald Tablet. The knowledge had always been there though.

Hermes-Trismmegistus merely continued on with the same ancient spiritual traditions that were lost by the elder race. Who knows if any of this is true. I guess this is where faith comes in, but that is what it is all based on.

Here is a translation of just one tablet, the tablet of Wisdom I think. There are something like seven, or eleven. That's where the arcane saying "All things in heaven and on earth." Or "As above, so below," comes from. This is all really ancient stuff, older than anyone religion. It is the root of ALL world relgions and philosophies, including New World shaman practices.

Unto thee, O man,
have I given my knowledge.
Unto thee have I given of Light.
Hear ye now and receive my wisdom
brought from space planes above and beyond.

Not as man am I
for free have I become of dimensions and planes.
In each, take I on a new body.
In each, I change in my form.
Know I now that the formless is all there is of form.

Great is the wisdom of the Seven.
Mighty are THEY from beyond.
Manifest THEY through their power,
filled by force from beyond.

Hear ye these words of wisdom.
Hear ye and make them thine own.
Find in them the formless.
Mystery is but hidden knowledge.
Know and ye shall unveil.
Find the deep buried wisdom
and be master of darkness and Light.

Deep are the mysteries around thee,
hidden the secrets of Old.
Search through the KEYS of my WISDOM.
Surely shall ye find the way.
The gateway to power is secret,
but he who attains shall receive.
Look to the LIGHT! O my brother.
Open and ye shall receive.
Press on through the valley of darkness.
Overcome the dweller of night.
Keep ever thine eyes of the LIGHT-PLANE,
and thou shalt be One with the LIGHT.

Man is in process of changing
to forms that are not of this world.
Grows he is time to the formless,
a plane on the cycle above.
Know ye, ye must become formless
before ye are with the LIGHT,

List ye, O man, to my voice,
telling of pathways to Light,
showing the way of attainment
when ye shall be One with the Light.

Search ye the mysteries of Earth's heart.
Learn of the LAW that exists,
holding the stars in their balance
by the force of the primordial mist.
Seek ye the flame of the EARTH'S LIFE.
Bathe in the galre of its flame.
Follow the three-cornered pathwaay
until thou, too, art a flame.

Speak thou in words without voice
to those who dwell down below.
Enter the blue-litten temple
and bathe in the fire of all life.

Know, O man, thou art complex,
a being of earth and of fire.
Let thy flame shine out brightly.
Be thou only the fire.

Wisdom is hidden in darkness.
When lit by the flame of the Soul,
find thou the wisdom and be LIGHT-BORN,
a Sun of the Light without form.
Seek thee ever more wisdom.
Find it in the heart of the flame.
Know that only by striving
and Light pour into thy brain.
Now have I spoken with wisdom.
List to my Voice and obey.
Tear open the Veils of the darkness.
Shine a LIGHT on the WAY.

Speak I of Ancient Atlantis,
speak of the days
of the Kingdom of Shadows,
speak of the coming
of the children of shadows.
Out of the great deep were they called
by the wisdom of earth-men,
called for the purpose of gaining great power.

Far in the past before Atlantis existed,
men there were who delved into darkness,
using dark magic, calling up beings
from the great deep below us.
Forth came they into this cycle.
Formless were they of another vibration,
existing unseen by the children of earth-men.
Only through blood could they have formed being.
Only through man could they live in the world.

In ages past were they conquered by Masters,
driven below to the place whence they came.
But some there were who remained,
hidden in spaces and planes unknown to man.
Lived they in Atlantis as shadows,
but at times they appeared among men.
Aye, when the blood was offered,
for they came they to dwell among men.

In the form of man they amongst us,
but only to sight were they as are men.
Serpent-headed when the glamour was lifted
but appearing to man as men among men.
Crept they into the Councils,
taking forms that were like unto men.
Slaying by their arts
the chiefs of the kingdoms,
taking their form and ruling o'er man.
Only by magic could they be discovered.
Only by sound could their faces be seen.
Sought they from the Kingdom of shadows
to destroy man and rule in his place.

But, know ye, the Masters were mighty in magic,
able to lift the Veil from the face of the serpent,
able to send him back to his place.
Came they to man and taught him the secret,
the WORD that only a man can pronounce.
Swift then they lifted the Veil from the serpent
and cast him forth from the place among men.

Yet, beware, the serpent still liveth
in a place that is open at times to the world.
Unseen they walk among thee
in places where the rites have been said.
Again as time passes onward
shall they take the semblance of men.

Called may they be by the master
who knows the white or the black,
but only the white master may control
and bind them while in the flesh.

Seek not the kingdom of shadows,
for evil will surely appear.
For only the master of brightness
shall conquer the shadow of fear.

Know ye, O my brother,
that fear is an obstacle great.
Be master of all in the brightness,
the shadow will soon disappear.
Hear ye and heed my wisdom,
the voice of LIGHT is clear.
Seek not the valley of shadow,
and LIGHT will only appear.

List ye, O man,
to the depth of my wisdom.
Speak I of knowledge hidden from man.
Far have I been
on my journey through SPACE-TIME,
even to the end of space of this cycle.
Aye, glimpsed the HOUNDS of the Barrier,
lying in wait for he who would pass them.
In that space where time exists not,
faintly I sensed the guardians of cycles.
Move they only through angles.
Free are they not of the curved dimensions.

Strange and terrible
are the HOUNDS of the Barrier.
Follow they consciousness to the limits of space.
Think not to escape by entering your body,
for follow they fast the Soul through angles.
Only the circle will give ye protection,
save from the claws
of the DWELLERS IN ANGLES.

Once, in a time past,
I approached the great Barrier,
and saw on the shores where time exists not,
the formless forms
of the HOUNDS of the barrier.
Aye, hiding in the midst beyond time I found them;
and THEY, scenting me afar off,
raised themsleves and gave the great bell cry
that could be heard from cycle to cycle
and moved through space toward my soul.

Fled I then fast before them,
back from time's unthinkable end.
But ever after me pursued they,
moving in strange angles not known to man.
Aye, on the gray shores of TIME-SPACE'S end
found I the HOUNDS of the Barrier,
ravening for the Soul
who attempts the beyond.

Fled I through circles back to my body.
Fled, and fast after me they followed.
Aye, after me the devourers followed,
seeking through angles to devour my Soul.

Aye, know ye man,
that the Soul who dares the Barrier
may be held in bondage
by the HOUNDS from beyond time,
held till this cycle is completed
and left behind
when the consciousness leaves.

Entered I my body.
Created the circles that know not angles,
created the form
that from my form was formed.
Made my body into a circle
and lost the pursuers in the circles of time.
But, even yet, when free from my body,
cautious ever must I be
not to move through angles,
else my soul may never be free.

Know ye, the HOUNDS of the Barrier
move only through angles
and never through curves of space.
Only by moving through curves
can ye escape them,
for in angles they will pursue thee.
O man, heed ye my warning;
Seek not to break open
the gate to beyond.
Few there are
who have succeeded in passing the Barrier
to the greater LIGHT that shines beyond.
For know ye, ever the dwellers,
seek such Souls to hold in their thrall.

Listen, O man, and heed ye my warning;
seek ye to move not in angles but curves,
And if while free from thy body,
though hearest the sound like the bay of a hound
ringing clear and bell-like through thy being,
flee back to thy body through circles,
penetrate not the midst mist before.

When thou hath entered the form thou hast dwelt in,
use thou the cross and the circle combined.
Open thy mouth and use thou thy Voice.
Utter the WORD and thou shalt be free.
Only the one who of LIGHT has the fullest
can hope to pass by the guards of the way.
And then must he move
through strange curves and angles
that are formed in direction not know to man.

List ye, O man, and heed ye my warning:
attempt not to pass the guards on the way.
Rather should ye seek to gain of thine own Light
and make thyself ready to pass on the way.

LIGHT is thine ultimate end, O my brother.
Seek and find ever the Light on the way.

If it is the DOGMA, look no further than the law of Code of Hammurabi.

I see this claim raised a lot.....I am curious....do you really see a similarity between the code of Hammurabi and the Ten Commandments?.....

because I'm not seeing it......

Forum List

Back