What "rights" does nature give us?

If they're not given by nature, then they must be given by government, because without it they're a daydream at best.

they are not given by government. They are simply not taken away by government.

If I were to live on a secluded island, I can scream fire anytime I want.
Government took that right away from me. There are times I am not prmitted to scream fire.

If you live by yourself on that island, you can do whatever you like. It's when the second person arrives that complications begin. Without rules that we usually call 'government, if you're stronger you can continue to do what you want with impunity, but if you're not without government, you're at the mercy of the other guy. That's nature.

Government in this country is the protector of rights, no the issuer of them. That's where you people have it all fucked up. The rights are inalienable. The government is there to protect the them for each individual from other individuals.

Natural rights, if they exist, would not have been invented by a small group of men in the 18th century.

Abortion is a natural right by the laws of nature that predate all modern fabrications of government.

Rhetoric....unless you can back it up.

What law(s) of nature makes abortion a natural right?

Now dont go on about how you can kill a fetus naturally....I know one can do that...that would make it a natural action..........but what makes it a natural RIGHT?

Ah, see,

now the various opinions of MEN come into deciding what are and aren't natural rights.

How is that dispute settled?

How can rights have come from the Creator, if they come from the decisions of MEN?

1. Men decide that rights came from the Creator

2. Men then decide, via their own invented decision-making process, what those rights are.

3. Thus is born the government of rights

4. Thus government, not the Creator, is the source of the rights.

Natural Law IS science, dummy. Why the fuck are you people incapable of grasping that? Natural rights are based on OBSERVABLE human behavior and the PREDICTABLE trouble that ensues when those rights are oppressed. If you enslave human beings, their natural inclination is to free themselves. Stuff a gag in a man's mouth, he'll attempt to remove it. Steal from him, he'll retaliate if he can.

Again.... the CONTEXT is about governance. How do we create a society where human beings can live together in peace and harmony? Our particular system of government is designed to maximize that by PROTECTING the inherent rights of citizens.

read John Locke

I have.

He's wrong about "natural rights".

Nature..as we define it..is pretty different from human constructs.

In nature, rights are defined by groups of animals banding together.

And by the animals in that group.

Sound familiar?

:eusa_eh:

Wrong. The rules that govern relations among social animals are the product of nature. That means rights are the product of nature.

Yes, we are at the top of the food chain and yes we can toss our worldly possessions and live in the woods. We have done it before.

Stalin and mao would love you.

Stupid insult but -

You really believe that you could go out in the woods, NO shoes, NO clothes, NO NOTHING and -- What? Build a shopping mall?

Takeastepbackward
Mans ability to create guns, clothes, traps come from a natural ability to adapt and have thumbs, fucker. Are you next going to argue that man is an alien to this "nature"?

Jesus you turds are fucking one dimensional

REALLY stupid insult, but -

This is even better. No clothes, no shoes, no tools and you're gonna build guns, make clothes and build traps BEFORE you freeze to death?

More than half of us now live in cities where the closest they get to animals is on their plate and they have no idea how it came to be there. Yes, the natural world is alien to most and they like it that way.

TMHarley
Technology is part of evolution of the human species. Evolution has put us on top of the food chain.

Thank you for simply commenting without adding a childish insult.

Yabut, if you had to leave it all behind, just you, starkers, out in the middle of no where, our evolution would not save you in time. Yes, you could build traps, shelter, eventually make clothing but no where near fast enough.

Yes, as individuals we can make our own shoes, build our own tools and so forth. We've done it before.

If they're not given by nature, then they must be given by government, because without it they're a daydream at best.

As we are Founded, out inalienable rights are granted by 'Nature's God.'

You could argue that America was founded on a lie, which is a tiny minority opinion, but which is probably what we would expect from a commie atheist.

Have you stopped beating your wife?

That is the loaded question logical fallacy.

It is one thing for you to be a lost heathen, but another altogether to deny that The Declaration of Independence is one of our Founding Documents and the primary source for our understanding - as a FOUNDATIONAL PRINCIPLE - as to the nature and source of our inalienable rights.

As I said, few would agree with your extremist take. You are a freak.

Your argument is that they only "rights" are those given to us by the potentate or the biggest mob, who may remove said "rights", by force if necessary, as caprice may find most expedient.

It is a philosophy based 100% upon aggression.

Check your history.

Most countries are formed by aggressive actions of one "mob" against another "mob".

Wrong. "Countries" are formed by their abilities to procure resources, create things and sell/buy them to others. Aggressive actions are usually the result of some or one infringing upon the natural rights of another. This is what sparks conflict of such magnitutde.

Perhaps in a libertarian dream world that's how countries would be formed, but history tells us otherwise. Countries were formed to acquire and/or protect resources. The British were quite aggressive in building their Empire. How were people on the other side of the world "infringing on their natural rights"?

Check your history.

Most countries are formed by aggressive actions of one "mob" against another "mob".

Wrong. "Countries" are formed by their abilities to procure resources, create things and sell/buy them to others. Aggressive actions are usually the result of some or one infringing upon the natural rights of another. This is what sparks conflict of such magnitutde.

Perhaps in a libertarian dream world that's how countries would be formed, but history tells us otherwise. Countries were formed to acquire and/or protect resources. The British were quite aggressive in building their Empire. How were people on the other side of the world "infringing on their natural rights"?

That's what I just got through saying before you interjected with "libertarian dream world", spanky. And the British EMPIRE, like ALL EMPIRES, including the current US Empire, procure land/resources through force/violence....AKA infringing on others natural rights.

Jeebus.

As we are Founded, out inalienable rights are granted by 'Nature's God.'

You could argue that America was founded on a lie, which is a tiny minority opinion, but which is probably what we would expect from a commie atheist.

It is one thing for you to be a lost heathen, but another altogether to deny that The Declaration of Independence is one of our Founding Documents and the primary source for our understanding - as a FOUNDATIONAL PRINCIPLE - as to the nature and source of our inalienable rights.

Just like your loaded comment. If I argue with it, I must be "a commie atheist". If you don't like the result, don't play the game, crybaby.

when people speak of natural rights, they are not referring to rights given to them by nature.
Actually, yes they are given to you by nature.

That's a daydream. Rights are determined by how well you can defend them. Difficult to do by oneself, so we usually band together and call it 'government'.

No, we don't. Again. We "band together" and form society/community. But you love government like a religious person loves their god, apparently. It's all about the government. :badgrin:

Check your history.

Hence the Revolutionary War, nimrod. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
Oppressing the natural rights if human beings >>>> chaos, tumult, war, etc.

Just like your loaded comment. If I argue with it, I must be "a commie atheist". If you don't like the result, don't play the game, crybaby.

There is nothing to argue. You either admit that the source of our inalienable rights are based in the supernatural as detailed in our Founding documents, or you don't.

That's what I just got through saying before you interjected with "libertarian dream world", spanky. And the British EMPIRE, like ALL EMPIRES, including the current US Empire, procure land/resources through force/violence....AKA infringing on others natural rights.

You said aggressive actions were the RESULT of one's infringing on the natural rights of others. So how is an imperial state's aggression the result of having their rights violated? You're turning the argument on its head. I'm sticking with my "dream world" comment until you start making sense. You seem to be taking which ever side suits you at the moment.

There is nothing to argue. You either admit that the source of our inalienable rights are based in the supernatural as detailed in our Founding documents, or you don't.

There's a big difference between what may be written down and the truth. They were playing to an audience for whom that sort of thing was important. I'll admit it was written down, but I don't see where it has any independent reality in nature. If I'm stronger than you, I can alienate the hell out of your rights. What are you going to do about it?

You said aggressive actions were the RESULT of one's infringing on the natural rights of others. So how is an imperial state's aggression the result of having their rights violated? You're turning the argument on its head. I'm sticking with my "dream world" comment until you start making sense. You seem to be taking which ever side suits you at the moment.

He said:

Aggressive actions are usually the result of some or one infringing upon the natural rights of another.

"Aggressive" also covers the reactions of a native people who's resources are being infringed upon:

- Imperial nation attempts to acquire more resources
- Native people take exception, thus fight back in some form or fashion

Makes sense to me.

I am saying rights are not natural or god given.

It's a pretty simple concept.

Some rights are. The kind you start out with before there is any such thing as a government or society.

You seem to have a fundamental misconception about the concept of 'natural rights'. To be fair, there's plenty of confusion to go around, as lots of people have glommed on to the idea and used it incorrectly. It's interesting to read about if you have time.

It should give you pause to think about exactly what you are railing against.

That's a good point. Because we do need government to protect our rights, and that something that gets glossed over by more extreme libertarian arguments. The thing is, that's not the same thing as government 'giving' us our rights and that's the entire point of citing 'inalienable' rights in the Constitution. They did that specifically to reject the previously held notion that rights (aka freedom) is a grant from the state or the king. It may seem like subtle sophistry, but it's actually an important shift in perspective. It sets government our servant assigned with a specific task - protecting our pre-existing rights - rather than our master, extending us rights as gifts.

Last edited:
Actually, yes they are given to you by nature.

That's a daydream. Rights are determined by how well you can defend them. Difficult to do by oneself, so we usually band together and call it 'government'.

No, we don't. Again. We "band together" and form society/community. But you love government like a religious person loves their god, apparently. It's all about the government. :badgrin:

Now you're just playing with words. It's not society/community vs government; it's society/community/government. It's all one and the same. Whatever you want to call it, there are rules we follow. They aren't natural; they're the product of society/community/government.

With all this talk about "natural" rights..I was wondering. What are they?

:eusa_eh:

Nature gives us no rights at all. Rights are societal constructs that are created to aid the survival of a society. Over the course of many thousands of generations we have found there are certain things that aid the survival of a society, chief among them being the ability of individuals to attain status within the society in accordance with their abilities. And, of equal importance, that all are held to the same rules.

The only thing that nature gives us for sure is the abilities inherant in the DNA we inherit from our parents. And malnutrition and accident can alter that, as education and a stable childhood can enhance it.

We fail to create a society that nurtures its citizens to the max, and a society that does that will soon supplant us as the leader.

Forum List

Back