What´s your favorite classic car?

And just because it is old does not make it a classic either.
..hence the bold text.

I saw that and was just adding emphasis to it :)

...and I believe the age is not as important as the visual...the classic lines. I considered the '64 Ferrari GTO to be a classic car in 1965...

It was an improvement over the classic lines of the 1954 Jaguar D-Type.

The Aston-Martin DB-7 was also classic to me before it aged much.

Ferrari-250-GTO-64-Pininfarina-Coupe_16.jpg

'64 Ferrari GTO

Last edited:
I can sympathize.

My grandfather died at 86. I think he owned a total of 3 cars. All of them Ramblers.

:eek:

Aren't those Mopar? I belong to Mopar Alley here in the San Jose area. My dad died at the age of 90 and my mom died last march at 94. My dad owned a Corvair in the early eighties.

Mopar are most reliable.
I'm sure you know that Corvairs are GM, not Mopar.

My brother had a Corvair Monza 4-speed stick. My dad had a butt naked three speed. I used the 3-speed at college one year...totaled to out by hitting the concrete 14th street bridge abutment in a driving rain...wasn't hurt badly...my passenger and fraternity brother was unhurt except that he slid across the vinyl bench seat (and into me) so fast that it burnt his ass without scorching his pants...God's truth. I ended up with my head in the rain gutter, my legs still in the car...and an 18 wheeler slidin' toward the door...stopping just a few feet from closing it on my legs!...God's truth!

Ralph Nader was correct...the Corvair was the most unsafe car on the road.

No, Nader was a PR-hungry hack and an attention-whore. The problem with the Corvair was usually in the driver's seat!

I agree. I think except for a small few, 1973 is the cut off date. I would say the exception might be the smokey and the bandit trans am, or similar. You could say a 1985 grand national is desirable and was a super fast production car, but I wouldn't qualify it as a classic. get it?

Yes, it would! There are many classics from after 1973! Here are a couple, in fact:

Beineke%20GNX%20med%20118%20.jpg

dsc01035zq.jpg

Here is the ultimate American Muscle car:

1966-shelby-cobra-427-super-snake-1.jpg

It is the only surviving 1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake. It carries a 427 cubic inch Ford engine with twin Paxton superchargers, giving it 800 HP. The car was capable if going from 0 to 100 MPH and back to 0 in just over 10 seconds all within 1/4 mile.
It's best 0 to 60 run was just under 3 seconds.

I bought a 71 Challenger R/T. 383Magnum, race cam, headers and traction bars.

1971_dodge_challenger-pic-61246.jpeg

It wasn't as cherry as this but much the same.

Last edited:
Aren't those Mopar? I belong to Mopar Alley here in the San Jose area. My dad died at the age of 90 and my mom died last march at 94. My dad owned a Corvair in the early eighties.

Mopar are most reliable.

My brother had a Corvair Monza 4-speed stick. My dad had a butt naked three speed. I used the 3-speed at college one year...totaled to out by hitting the concrete 14th street bridge abutment in a driving rain...wasn't hurt badly...my passenger and fraternity brother was unhurt except that he slid across the vinyl bench seat (and into me) so fast that it burnt his ass without scorching his pants...God's truth. I ended up with my head in the rain gutter, my legs still in the car...and an 18 wheeler slidin' toward the door...stopping just a few feet from closing it on my legs!...God's truth!

No, Nader was a PR-hungry hack and an attention-whore. The problem with the Corvair was usually in the driver's seat!
Actually, it was a combination of two things: weight distribution (too much of it was behind the rear axle) and the independent swing axles in the rear (if the car swerved hard enough in one direction..the inside rear axle and wheel would tuck itself so far up under the car that when it came down on that side, it would tend to turn over)

It was extremely unsafe. The Volkswagen had similar features, but the motor was a lot lighter and the axle swing was more restricted. Believe me...I drove them both.

Nader may have been an attention whore, but he was right about the Corvair.

I loved those cars. The 69 Judge was a killer.

Here come the Judge, here come the Judge, ya better watch out, 'cause here come the Judge.

:thup:

Last edited:
1977 Cadillac Coupe de Ville:

green_rare_78k_miles_26073044.jpg

Father-in-law gave his old one to my husband, and we still have it. White leather seats. People follow us and ask to buy it all the time.

Keep it up...keep it polished...when the offer gets to $100,000...sell it!

Actually, it was a combination of two things: weight distribution (too much of it was behind the rear axle) and the independent swing axles in the rear (if the car swerved hard enough in one direction..the inside rear axle and wheel would tuck itself so far up under the car that when it came down on that side, it would tend to turn over)

It was extremely unsafe. The Volkswagen had similar features, but the motor was a lot lighter and the axle swing was more restricted. Believe me...I drove them both.

Nader may have been an attention whore, but he was right about the Corvair.

It was no worse than the Porsche 911's legendary knife-in-the-back snap oversteer! (Note: this was a feature of 911's into the 90's!) The VW would also do it...my mother owned a VW and a Corvair, and she always rated the 'Vair as the better handler.

1977 Cadillac Coupe de Ville:

green_rare_78k_miles_26073044.jpg

Father-in-law gave his old one to my husband, and we still have it. White leather seats. People follow us and ask to buy it all the time.

It's not EFI, is it?

I have one of those...1979 CDV, black over red leather. I have personally had every bolt on and off that car myself at least once!

What was left of a 69 Opel Rally, after meeting a Deer at 60 MPH and 2 AM...

junkopel.jpg

OSCCA = Opel Sports Car Club of America

A friend of mine had one of those. I believe Jimmy rolled his.

The Cobra I posted earlier is one of 2 Super Snakes. Shelby built the second for Bill Cosby who returned it after just one ride in it.
He wrote a comedy piece about the car.

Enjoy some classic Cosby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0]Bill Cosby 200MPH - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back