🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What States Are Taxing The Crap Out Of Gasoline?

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
The Federal Government taxes gasoline (across the board) at a rate of 18.4 cents per gallon. Then the various States take their share by taxing the fuel again. Let's see who the top 10 biggest gougers are. I will highlight the states in either red or blue based on their political leaning:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/states-with-highest-gasoline-excise-taxes-11.aspx

1) California = 71.29 cents per gallon
2) New York = 68.26 cents per gallon
3) Connecticut = 67.7 cents per gallon
4) Hawaii = 66.45 cents
5) Pennsylvania = 60.2 cents
6) Michigan = 59.79
7) Indiana = 59.21
8) Illinois = 57.5
9) North Carolina = 56.15
10) Washington = 55.9

Red%20or%20Blue%20map.png

You might want to change your vacation plans and travel to or through the red states.

my state needs a higher gas tax. more fuel efficient cars means the roads are seeing more wear and fewer tax dollars coming in. we don't need a huge raise, but our roads could use more funding.

You might want to change your vacation plans and travel to or through the red states.
Oh yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Do the entire vacation around a 30 cents per gallon difference in tax.

"Hey honey we're changing everything we've been planning around, we can save $20 by doing a completely different vacation"

Oh yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Do the entire vacation around a 30 cents per gallon difference in tax.

"Hey honey we're changing everything we've been planning around, we can save $20 by doing a completely different vacation"

Hey ... it could be the difference between cheeseburgers and Big Macs. Just sayin'. :lol:

my state needs a higher gas tax. more fuel efficient cars means the roads are seeing more wear and fewer tax dollars coming in. we don't need a huge raise, but our roads could use more funding.

Well ... like Rozman said, that extra income isn't going to fix the roads. So where's it goin'?

Or maybe you could demand from your politicians that fuel taxes go to roads and bridges, instead of funding urban mass transit schemes, bike paths and other foolish boondoggles.

Just a thought.

Or maybe you could demand from your politicians that fuel taxes go to roads and bridges, instead of funding urban mass transit schemes, bike paths and other foolish boondoggles.

Just a thought.

You should try driving on Denver's (and surrounding areas) roads. They're horrible. Pot-hole city. Any money that Colorado, Denver, and the Rapid Transit District is pulling in is going to building a light rail train system. It's far reaching. I've seen a few of the trains already in operation yet I rarely see faces looking out the windows. An innocent man was already killed and robbed at one of area train depots. I guess we'll see in the long run if was worth the money spent.

The Federal Government taxes gasoline (across the board) at a rate of 18.4 cents per gallon. Then the various States take their share by taxing the fuel again. Let's see who the top 10 biggest gougers are. I will highlight the states in either red or blue based on their political leaning:

States with the Highest Gasoline Taxes | Bankrate.com

1) California = 71.29 cents per gallon
2) New York = 68.26 cents per gallon
3) Connecticut = 67.7 cents per gallon
4) Hawaii = 66.45 cents
5) Pennsylvania = 60.2 cents
6) Michigan = 59.79
7) Indiana = 59.21
8) Illinois = 57.5
9) North Carolina = 56.15
10) Washington = 55.9

Red%20or%20Blue%20map.png

Glad you posted this as I had been meaning to look it up. I live near the VA-NC border and had noticed that gas was outrageous there compared to here, which made no sense as our local gas is shipped from a NC distribution center into Virginia. Sure enough, the 44 or so cent difference between our respective gas taxes is about the difference between the prices here and there.

First why don't you find out exactly how much your state collects in gas taxes and then find out how much of it was actually spent on road maintenance before you start fleecing people for more money.

lol, the blue states cares so much more for their people don't they...lol

tax the hell out of them for the "privilege" of living there

Here in Kentucky, Ashland/Marathon has a distribution monopoly...

... so whenever there's a holiday or event such as the Derby...

... we get socked with above average gas prices.
:mad:

Just a thought.

And bullet trains!

To nowhere...

Oh and UNFUNDED PENSIONS!

Love CalPERS.... <3

Last edited:
Missouri just passed a big sales tax increase to maintain roads due to gas tax shortfall. This is the government forcing us to subsidize to oil companies. The constitutional amendment bars the state from raising the gas tax or implementing toll roads during the lifespan of the sales tax. That's just great, big oil punishing people for biking, taking the train or staying home not burning their fuel on the highway.

The oil companies aren't punishing you they don't make any money from the gas tax.

That would be your local corrupt politicians.

And yet they say the fund to fix roads is in the red....
Where the fuck did the money go?

Some of the richest (greediest?) politicians in America are Democrats.

Yet the blue states support the slack jawed, bible thumping, trailer dwelling red states

Red States Are Welfare Queens - Business Insider

LOL. Coming from someone who's all about taking from the rich and giving to the lazy you would think that you would applaud the red states for being - well - welfare states. You once again put your proverbial foot in your ample-sized mouth. :lol:

Forum List

Back