🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What would an LDS theodemocracy look like in real life?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
While my religious views are ultimately unknown even to myself, and I do realize that Joseph Smith made everything up in the same ad hoc way Muhammad did, but I still have to admit that I've always been particularly attracted to the LDS faith. It's just a fascinating religion to me. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the very few I'm actually friendly to, thanks to its focus on ensuring that people are cared for and encouraging healthy, stable families. The idea that we're all literal brothers and sisters on some level sits well with my own belief that all humans are basically cousins.

Anyway, thanks to all that, I spend a fair portion of my free time reading about church history and doctrine. One of the most interesting points in the church's history is when it was the de facto government of Utah Territory. I'm not saying I would actually support a theodemocratic system like what they had then, since separation of church and state is key for a healthy liberal democracy, but what would an LDS state look like today? Would the United Order fail again like it did the first time? Would there still be freedom of religion? Would the issue of the Deseret alphabet be brought back up, or is the popular rejection of that particular bit of LDS trivia final?

Chief theologian?

.jpg

Magic underwear and movies devoid of sex, drugs, and rock & roll.

While my religious views are ultimately unknown even to myself, and I do realize that Joseph Smith made everything up in the same ad hoc way Muhammad did, but I still have to admit that I've always been particularly attracted to the LDS faith. It's just a fascinating religion to me. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the very few I'm actually friendly to, thanks to its focus on ensuring that people are cared for and encouraging healthy, stable families. The idea that we're all literal brothers and sisters on some level sits well with my own belief that all humans are basically cousins.

Anyway, thanks to all that, I spend a fair portion of my free time reading about church history and doctrine. One of the most interesting points in the church's history is when it was the de facto government of Utah Territory. I'm not saying I would actually support a theodemocratic system like what they had then, since separation of church and state is key for a healthy liberal democracy, but what would an LDS state look like today? Would the United Order fail again like it did the first time? Would there still be freedom of religion? Would the issue of the Deseret alphabet be brought back up, or is the popular rejection of that particular bit of LDS trivia final?

My bad, I thought you meant an LSD theocracy.

Sounds like something I experienced in the summer of 71.

except they were Greek gods that were peering down at me from the ceiling in my bedroom as the 16 year old me rode my flying bed through the far reaches of the galaxy.

Sounds like something I experienced in the summer of 71.

except they were Greek gods that were peering down at me from the ceiling in my bedroom as the 16 year old me rode my flying bed through the far reaches of the galaxy.

I loved acid, except that time I took it in Japan, and all the little school girls were talking about me.

I loved acid, except that time I took it in Japan, and all the little school girls were talking about me.

psst -- Roadrunner. I'm going to whisper this so nobody else notices, but those Japanese girls talking about you?

They still are.

Well, wasn't every day the little things saw a 6'5" hippy.
Must have traumatized them.

that was you?

When I was there, all the Japanese girls talked about 大きなヒッピー スタッド but I thought that was just a legend.

There was religious freedom there.

It was a federal territory. I'm not thinking it would be much different

Forum List

Back