What would you do if you ever became homeless?

If worse came to worst, I'd hitchhike to the South and knock on Bones' door hahahahaha.

And just think --- when she kicks you out, I'm right down the road
hair-fire.gif

seems to me that the best idea for those without family would be to find a homeless camp with services that could help you rebuild and maybe find a job . Cardboard sign saying ' homeless , no drugs alcohol , will take any job as you stand on a street corner. And of course a neat clean appearance has got to be the number one priority . That's why I mention homeless services , maybe Salvation Army or similar that might be able to help you get ANY job !! And a sizeable small town would be better than a big huge city imo . ------------ realistic or unrealistic , I don't know . Also depends on age , the older you are it would be harder to rebuild !!
I wouldn't go anywhere near a homeless camp.

I dunno, could be kinda fun.

seems to me that the best idea for those without family would be to find a homeless camp with services that could help you rebuild and maybe find a job . Cardboard sign saying ' homeless , no drugs alcohol , will take any job as you stand on a street corner. And of course a neat clean appearance has got to be the number one priority . That's why I mention homeless services , maybe Salvation Army or similar that might be able to help you get ANY job !! And a sizeable small town would be better than a big huge city imo . ------------ realistic or unrealistic , I don't know . Also depends on age , the older you are it would be harder to rebuild !!

No, I think there's a lot of violence and scariness that goes on. Not to mention all the freaking parasites and microbes blech.

No, I think there's a lot of violence and scariness that goes on. Not to mention all the freaking parasites and microbes blech.

Yeah, I suppose getting AIDS off the handle of a borrowed shopping trolley would be kinda gay.

Yeah, I suppose getting AIDS off the handle of a borrowed shopping trolley would be kinda gay.
Aids isn't even the tip of the iceburg and of all the nastiness is one of the harder things to catch.

Well, unless you get gang raped by a bunch of junky male prostitutes.

Plan A is to hunt for a small..and I mean SMALL apt or trailer or inlaw house or cabin we could afford on our SS. If Plan A doesn't happen, Plan B is to live in my van. Did it when I was a hippie, can do it again. Just park near motels so it looks like your vehicle is a guest's vehicle. Can also use their wifi if it is near an internet cafe. Showers can be done at the beach where showers are set up for surfers and whatnot. Just park the car in different locations. If wanting to try other towns...just head up or down the coast.
Plan C is contact with friends and see if they have a hole we can snuggle up in for a small rent fee. We don't like being beholden, so we would pay our way as long as it is not a horrid amount. No family for us. Well, there is, but we want nothing to do with them, nor they us. One set is Jehovah Witness, the other is Baptist and both sets are insane.

Mr Gracie has a truck. I have the van. Circle the wagons, so to speak!

Plan A is to hunt for a small..and I mean SMALL apt or trailer or inlaw house or cabin we could afford on our SS. If Plan A doesn't happen, Plan B is to live in my van. Did it when I was a hippie, can do it again. Just park near motels so it looks like your vehicle is a guest's vehicle. Can also use their wifi if it is near an internet cafe. Showers can be done at the beach where showers are set up for surfers and whatnot. Just park the car in different locations. If wanting to try other towns...just head up or down the coast.
Plan C is contact with friends and see if they have a hole we can snuggle up in for a small rent fee. We don't like being beholden, so we would pay our way as long as it is not a horrid amount. No family for us. Well, there is, but we want nothing to do with them, nor they us. One set is Jehovah Witness, the other is Baptist and both sets are insane.

sheep.jpg

seems to me that living in a camper is a good plan for homelessness but vehicle needs to be decent looking , mechanically good and accommodations in the shell need to be kept minimal . A small older longbed pickup in excellent shape that is already owned because I own one , a minimal aluminum pickup shell that is cab height and is covered with felt on the inside to reduce condensation and noise , small windows that open and a popup roof ventilator . I'd put a lockable tool chest that's a little longer than 6 foot lengthwise in the pickup bed . That chest would be for storage and as a bed . These chests are about 3 feet or so wide . No matter the actual measurement they are wide enough to sleep on and are a good place to store supplies . I'd have a dense rollup mattress and a good cheap sleeping bag , [wiggys] zero degree 'superlight' is my thought . A 'kifaru' or an already owned 'hpg' serape . Knit hat , gloves and and a baklava . Cargo pants , black in color as they stay clean looking longer [Duluth] , look nice , and hold their color and dry quickly after wash [1 spare pair] . 2 spare black t-shirt , 2 spare underwear , 1 spare long underwear . I'd have my jacket [m-65] and a couple very packable and synthetic insulated base layers . All my clothes and supplies would fit into a backpack 50 cubic inch in size . A 'kelty redwing 50' would work ok , I'd prefer a 60 but they don't make one . MAIN THOUGHT is mnimal , compressible and packable because if on foot all your stuff needs to be carried . Wiggys sleeping bag can be carried but if I was on foot I'd get something smaller .

Last edited:
and to get a smaller sleeping bag I'd have to go to goose down . For that I'd probably get a ''feathered Friends' camping quilt quilt . 20 degree , maybe 30 . That along with my HPG serape should be ok . For those that don't know , down is very light , warm and compresses very small but is not very good in wet weather .

If you receive ss you're eligible for subsidized housing, it's just a matter of surviving till you come up the list.

If you receive ss you're eligible for subsidized housing, it's just a matter of surviving till you come up the list.
Ever see subsidized housing? I'll pass. My van is nicer than those places. And all their rules.

there is some beautiful subsidized housing in many areas but agree . Couldn't take the rules and regulations . Rather live in the truck job than subsidized housing .

Go to the nearest food pantry I volunteer there enough and would have some good contacts.

As a child we were chronically homeless. There were few public benefits. We slept in the park, an alley. Sometimes in a subway station or bus station. We ate out of restaurant garbage cans. Sometimes my dad would wash dishes for a few hours in exchange for the leavings on customer's plates.

Being homeless has no horrors for me. As an adult I've been homeless a few times. I've stayed with friends. Once I stayed with my son. Once I slept under a wooden playground structure at the park. I've lived out of my car. Whatever happens, I know that I will always be okay.

I would make do with what I had. Tent, cabin...whatever. Fortunately, I have learned many skills that would enable me to live off the land and Alaska is very conducive to that. Hunt, fish, raise my own livestock and garden, as well as harvest what is naturally available. My biggest challenge would be avoiding the parasites who would try to take what I have.

and to get a smaller sleeping bag I'd have to go to goose down . For that I'd probably get a ''feathered Friends' camping quilt quilt . 20 degree , maybe 30 . That along with my HPG serape should be ok . For those that don't know , down is very light , warm and compresses very small but is not very good in wet weather .
Best sleeping bags are down on top and synthetic underneath. Synthetic doesn't compress as much and stays warn underneath while the down is best on top. I've slept in the most severe conditions imaginable in the Brooks range, believe me. The weight compromise is worth it.

Forum List

Back