What's Open Mindedness?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
... are there those that don't WANT to be open minded?
Why would they NOT want to be? (fear?)

Here are 2 definitions: (agree or disagree?)

1. Open-mindedness is receptiveness to new ideas. Open-mindedness relates to the way in which people approach the views and knowledge of others, and "incorporate the beliefs that others should be free to express their views and that the value of others' knowledge should be recognized."

2. Open-mindedness helps you to learn and grow, strengthening your belief in yourself. Being honest. There is an honesty that comes with an open mind because being open-minded means admitting that you aren't all-knowing. It means believing that whatever truth you find might always have more to it than you realize

Of course, people that are NOT open minded and not willing to budge will never comment on this.... that being said, I don't expect much response here...

:D

1. Open-mindedness is receptiveness to new ideas. Open-mindedness relates to the way in which people approach the views and knowledge of others, and "incorporate the beliefs that others should be free to express their views and that the value of others' knowledge should be recognized."

2. Open-mindedness helps you to learn and grow, strengthening your belief in yourself. Being honest. There is an honesty that comes with an open mind because being open-minded means admitting that you aren't all-knowing. It means believing that whatever truth you find might always have more to it than you realize
I learn every day, regardless of what it's called. I do sometimes change my mind but have a world view from a lifetime of thinking and observation.

Maybe 5 years ago I dropped Christianity after being a believer for about 22 years. That wasn't easy because their a whole culture and mindset that goes with it. I spent many years researching the history and culture and putting things together and had to finally admit it to myself.

So yes, I consider myself open minded. I will change my mind with information.

Strongly agree with both definitions.

Being open-minded also requires some bravery; you have to be confident in your beliefs to allow others to express theirs, but you must also be willing to change your mind and admit that maybe you were wrong.

Sadly, we're seeing more and more people not willing to do this.

Of course, people that are NOT open minded and not willing to budge will never comment on this.... that being said, I don't expect much response here...

:D
I would think that it depends on which part you are looking to open.

Even though I may have an opinion about most things already, I wouldn't consider myself to be closed off when it comes to learning about things that I am not all that aware of. Even if you already stand for something, you can still learn about other things that are out there since they would be considered the "competition".

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. In my opinion, education should never be labeled a bad thing.

Forum List

Back