What's wrong with Michelle Obama ....

Lately I have done a ton of research into food and health in general thanks to a heart condition. I came to the conclusion that there is FAR too much salt in virtually everything you buy at restaurants. 1500 mg of salt is the recomended salt intake per day. Go to any restaurant such as Applebees or Rd Lobster etc. and yu will find that most meals they produce have three times the recomended salt content in a sigle meal, and many of their meals are even worse.

Outback Steakhouses Bloomin Onion APPETIZER has over 7000 mg of salt! You havn't even started the damn meal and you are 4.5 times the limit for the day. That's ridiculous.
Restaurants don't need to salt their foods that heavily. There is little taste benefit, but there is a huge health detriment.

They oversalt because they are either lazy or inompetent. Either way, their customers are suffering because of it. I am all for personal choice. Leave the salt out of the food in the cooking and let the customer salt the hell out of it when they get it to their table. But poisoning everyone else because they are lazy is stupid.

Everything in moderation.....

Now don't get me wrong...i agree with you about to much salt in chain restaurant foods.

However it is not bad for you to have a salt hit like that once in a while..... the problem comes when you eat out often.

On the other hand, no sane person on the planet is going to eat an entire blooming onion all on their lonesome, and follow it with an entree.

Ohh, but they do Boop, they do!

Now don't get me wrong...i agree with you about to much salt in chain restaurant foods.

However it is not bad for you to have a salt hit like that once in a while..... the problem comes when you eat out often.

On the other hand, no sane person on the planet is going to eat an entire blooming onion all on their lonesome, and follow it with an entree.

Ohh, but they do Boop, they do!

pukingsmiley.gif

Lately I have done a ton of research into food and health in general thanks to a heart condition. I came to the conclusion that there is FAR too much salt in virtually everything you buy at restaurants. 1500 mg of salt is the recomended salt intake per day. Go to any restaurant such as Applebees or Rd Lobster etc. and yu will find that most meals they produce have three times the recomended salt content in a sigle meal, and many of their meals are even worse.

Outback Steakhouses Bloomin Onion APPETIZER has over 7000 mg of salt! You havn't even started the damn meal and you are 4.5 times the limit for the day. That's ridiculous.
Restaurants don't need to salt their foods that heavily. There is little taste benefit, but there is a huge health detriment.

They oversalt because they are either lazy or inompetent. Either way, their customers are suffering because of it. I am all for personal choice. Leave the salt out of the food in the cooking and let the customer salt the hell out of it when they get it to their table. But poisoning everyone else because they are lazy is stupid.

Most people eat out most of the time these days. We used to eat out 5 nights of the week and 4 of the days. Now I eat one lunch out every two weeks and dinners out are limited to once a week. It SUCKS! I love to eat out and enjoy good food (not that we can't cook)but because of the ridiculous salt content I am limited to steak (darn!) in almost any venue we go to as that is the one meal that is salted the least.

So it is a choice people are making for themselves.... and that is their problem, not the restaurants.

You do know you can ask for your meal to be prepared without salt? Some can and are happy to accommodate.

Are they going to have cooking classes and eating contests? Cool... i wonder what kid of patch that would look like! :lol:

Alright on the serious side of that now....

Healthy cooking classes would be something that, in my opinion, would be a good idea. Simply regulating what foods are available and what ingredients are in them is not "learning" anything. It is not a lifestyle change.

Do they still do home economics in school ?

Home economics should be something all high school kids are required to take every.... every day. Who knows, they may learn how to cook and clean for themselves and how to budget their lives with the money they have. :dunno:

Well, they did when my daughter was in school. She graduated in 1999.

Are they going to have cooking classes and eating contests? Cool... i wonder what kid of patch that would look like! :lol:

Healthy cooking classes would be something that, in my opinion, would be a good idea. Simply regulating what foods are available and what ingredients are in them is not "learning" anything. It is not a lifestyle change.

Home economics should be something all high school kids are required to take every.... every day. Who knows, they may learn how to cook and clean for themselves and how to budget their lives with the money they have. :dunno:

I had to take it. It was a fun class. The teacher showed me how to sew my Megadeath patch om my jacket nice and straight, and how to balance a check book.

Most people eat out most of the time these days. We used to eat out 5 nights of the week and 4 of the days. Now I eat one lunch out every two weeks and dinners out are limited to once a week. It SUCKS! I love to eat out and enjoy good food (not that we can't cook)but because of the ridiculous salt content I am limited to steak (darn!) in almost any venue we go to as that is the one meal that is salted the least.

So it is a choice people are making for themselves.... and that is their problem, not the restaurants.

You do know you can ask for your meal to be prepared without salt? Some can and are happy to accommodate.

Actually at the chain restaurants that is impossible. Over 90% of the stuff is pre-prepared. Even the steaks are salted prior to cooking. Those you can have them not add any too however. Now if I take the wife to Adeles down in Carson City, which is a very high end restaurant, I can indeed get the meal mae with much less salt. But I'm also a friend of the owner who goes out of his way to make SURE I am not getting too much salt.
There is no other high end restaurant I can go to up here and be assured I am not getting too much salt.

And please note syrenn, I am all for people being allowed to salt as much as they want at their table, just don't salt the shit out of EVERYTHING that leaves the kitchen.

Last edited:
Bottom line......

marketing or not.... who controls what youngsters eat?

The youngsters themselves at the end of the day.

True story. When we were growing up, my mother did not want us watching "The Three Stooges". She thought my brothers and I would poke each other's eyes out or otherwise hurt each other imitating their slapstick violence. (Also, they were never really funny.)

threestooges.jpg

Just thought I'd throw a picture in for fun!

Well guess what we did. When 3:30 rolled around, we went to the kid next door's house whose parents weren't as strict, and we got a full dose of the Stooges.

Parents can do a lot and many of them try. Then again, when you are working two to three jobs to keep a roof over your heads and food on the table, you can't watch them all the time. And it's not unreasonable to ask the fast food franchises to be responsible. McDonalds finally put together a healthy happy meal. Was that too much to ask?

When I was in school, the boys never took Home Ec. When my kids came along, I made my son learn how to cook, iron, and sew on buttons. He worked his way through college as a cook in a sports bar.

Actually at the chain restaurants that is impossible. Over 90% of the stuff is pre-prepared. Even the steaks are salted prior to cooking. Those you can have them not add any too however. Now if I take the wife to Adeles down in Carson City, which is a very high end restaurant, I can indeed get the meal mae with much less salt. But I'm also a friend of the owner who goes out of his way to make SURE I am not getting too much salt.
There is no other high end restaurant I can go to up here and be assured I am not getting too much salt.

And please note syrenn, I am all for people being allowed to salt as much as they want at their table, just don't salt the shit out of EVERYTHING that leaves the kitchen.

LOL... chain restaurants... are not real restaurants. They are glorified fast food places. That is the first thing to understand.

Any real restaurant, real food, real ingredients, real chefs....can make food to order.

Bottom line......

marketing or not.... who controls what youngsters eat?

The youngsters themselves at the end of the day.

True story. When we were growing up, my mother did not want us watching "The Three Stooges". She thought my brothers and I would poke each other's eyes out or otherwise hurt each other imitating their slapstick violence. (Also, they were never really funny.)

threestooges.jpg

Just thought I'd throw a picture in for fun!

Well guess what we did. When 3:30 rolled around, we went to the kid next door's house whose parents weren't as strict, and we got a full dose of the Stooges.

Parents can do a lot and many of them try. Then again, when you are working two to three jobs to keep a roof over your heads and food on the table, you can't watch them all the time. And it's not unreasonable to ask the fast food franchises to be responsible. McDonalds finally put together a healthy happy meal. Was that too much to ask?

Is it to much to ASK.... no. Is it to much to force by law..... yes.

And again... It is about parental control and choices. Who takes them to McDonald's?

LOL... chain restaurants... are not real restaurants. They are glorified fast food places. That is the first thing to understand.

Any real restaurant, real food, real ingredients, real chefs....can make food to order.

And the chef at one of MY favorites, the Capital Grille in Nashville even grows some of his own food!

Nashville Fine Dining, Best Downtown Restaurants | Capitol Grille

I have just learned that Michelle DID serve turnip greens at a state dinner. Well kiss my grits!
The White House Blog
South Korea State Dinner: What’s on the Menu?
October 13, 2011 at 05:18 PM EDT
Guests at the State Dinner honoring the President of South Korea this evening in the East Room of the White House will enjoy a Fall Harvest Dinner conceived by First Lady Michelle Obama and White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford. Tonight’s menu highlights the best of local produce combined with Korean flavors and traditions.

The first course, Butternut Squash Bisque, includes squash grown in the White House Kitchen Garden and harvested last week, and honey from the White House beehive, plus locally sourced scallions, which Comerford calls “a wondrous Korean ingredient.”

The second course, an Early Fall Harvest Salad, includes red and green lettuces grown in the White House Kitchen Garden which are wrapped in daikon sheets and served with masago rice pearl crispies and a sesame vinaigrette as a nod to Korean traditions.

The main course features Wagyu beef rib eye steaks from a Texas ranch served with fresh turnip greens from a DC-area source and squash from the White House Kitchen Garden. For dessert, White House pastry chef William Yosses and his team have prepared a classic chocolate cake layered with a blend of Korean and American pears.

http://m.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/10/13/south-korea-state-dinner-what-s-menu]

But she didn't grow them herself. Figures! :lol:

That depends on one's health status. I can't have that hit even once in a while. As it is I'm on 200 mg of Lasix/day.

And is it YOUR responsibility to monitor and control your salt intake, or is it the responsibility of all the restaurants out there to lower the salt content on their food for all their customers, on the off-chance that YOU might decide to eat there?

That depends on one's health status. I can't have that hit even once in a while. As it is I'm on 200 mg of Lasix/day.

And is it YOUR responsibility to monitor and control your salt intake, or is it the responsibility of all the restaurants out there to lower the salt content on their food for all their customers, on the off-chance that YOU might decide to eat there?

I suppose the same could be said for the arsenic content of fast food. :razz:

Why? Because YOU might decide to eat there? Maybe other people LIKE their food that way. Why does the whole world have to change to accommodate you?

I suppose the same could be said for the arsenic content of fast food. :razz:

False equivalency is false.

Forum List

Back