What's your favorite TV series, current and / or past.

You ever watch some of the old crime shows lately (Beretta, Rockford Files etc.)?
I watched part of a Rockford Files a year or so ago... wow in today's standards it is over the top corny and unrealistic. I loved that show as a kid.
I was always amused that he remained a PI even though he never got paid. :)

Last edited:
You ever watch some of the old crime shows lately (Beretta, Rockford Files etc.)?
I watched part of a Rockford Files a year or so ago... wow in today's standards it is over the top corny and unrealistic. I loved that show as a kid.
Yeah. Most of the old shows were corny.

The Twilight Zone still holds up incredibly well.

A lot of good shows mentioned so far.

Some of my favorites past and present:

Star Trek TOS

The Wire

The Twilight Zone

Breaking Bad (a great show about the devolution from a milquetoast good person to a real motherfucker bad guy, with each step along the way entirely logical)

Ozark (also about the devolution from good to bad)

Eureka (pure candy for the brain)

Monk (love, love, love this show!)

Psyche

Twin Peaks (the original)

The Rifleman (huge shock to find out in adulthood Chuck Conners was gay)

Lost in Space (the original)

Beretta

Miami Vice (a guilty pleasure)

Law & Order (every single episode for decades)

Law & Order: Criminal Intent (do not like any other Law & Order spinoffs)

So many more.
I agree with many of your picks but prefer Star Trek Second Generation to the original.
Like Riflemen but like Gumsmoke better.

Never watched Beretta but I've seen a few Rockford files. What is so corny? Keep in mind that dramatizations on TV as well as movies are based public perception of reality, not reality itself. For example, I saw in an episode of Rockford files, two men, I suppose were cops standing in from a speeding car coming toward them as they fired into the car and at last minute they do a swan dive one to left side and one to right side of the car. If was well choregraphed scene and worked back in the 70's but not today, because we know cops would never do that. In the 40's and 50's what people knew about the old west came from movie westerns. People actually believed that gunfighter duels were common. When in reality, there have been only a couple of such duels ever recorded. Typically gunfighters would shoot their targets in the back or if close enough, knife them to save bullets. Wyatt Earp was once asked, "What is the best way to shot a man?" He replied, "In the back of course. It's safer."

To me this is a wonderfully thing about watching old movies. They don't showed you reality but reality in the eyes of the audience. History books will tell how things actually happed. Old movies tell you how people think they happened.

Last edited:
MASH, LA Law, Big Bang, now it's 1883
4 episodes in on 1883, it is really good. Historically accurate relative to German immigrants in Texas at that time and then heading NW from there, although many stayed in Texas.

Current stuff, Yellowstone, 1883, Raised by Wolves, The Mosquito Coast, Narcos Mexico.

Never watched Beretta but I've seen a few Rockford files. What is so corny? Keep in mind that dramatizations on TV as well as movies are based public perception of reality, not reality itself. For example, I saw in an episode of Rockford files, two men, I suppose were cops standing in from a speeding car coming toward them as they fired into the car and at last minute they do a swan dive one to left side and one to right side of the car. If was well choregraphed scene and worked back in the 70's but not today, because we know cops would never do that. In the 40's and 50's what people knew about the old west came from movie westerns. People actually believed that gunfighter duels were common. When in reality, there have been only a couple of such duels ever recorded. Typically gunfighters would shoot their targets in the back or if close enough, knife them to save bullets. Wyatt Earp was once asked, "What is the best way to shot a man?" He replied, "In the back of course. It's safer."

To me this is a wonderfully thing about watching old movies. They don't showed you reality but reality in the eyes of the audience. History books will tell how things actually happed. Old movies tell you how people think they happened.
I'm still a sucker for Columbo.

When Columbo shows up at your house carrying a paper bag, you're going to prison in the next five minutes. :lol:

'

I enjoyed almost all of Game of Thrones.

The Wire was amazing more often than not.

I used to look forward to Billions, but the scripts are getting a bit stale, lately.

The Sopranos was damn good all the way through.

I had read all of the Bosch nooks and thought the televised series was terrific; it made me look forward to every episode, so it entailed a good deal of binging.

Longmire was an excellent find.

Considering it’s heavy overdose of liberal PC bullshit and blather, The Newsroom was a very watchable series.

Adam-12 ... best (and most realistic) cop show ever...

Adam_12_3.jpg.1440x1000_q85_box-0,24,448,336_crop_detail.jpg

Forum List

Back