When are far Lefties ever invited to speak at Conservative events ?

You really don't know the difference between private organizations and tax-payer funded public universities?

That's irrelevant. Private orgs are free to invite whoever .
It is very relevant. I'll tell you what, you give Me a list of conservative universities that deny progressive speakers. Until then, put your helmet on and hush.

:lol:

I'm guessing that Gloria Steinem's invitation to speak at Bob Jones University was lost in the mail then?
Beats Me. The issue isn't whether invitations have been issued, but if they actively seek to prevent them from speaking.

A student at Bob Jones could be expelled for simply owning a copy of one of Gloria Steinem's books.

What do you expect would happen if a student suggested inviting her to campus to speak?

Then why don't you try and get the students to invite her! That is how conservatives got to Bezerkley. If she is invited and a violent riot breaks out, then you have a narrative. Until then, all you have is PROPAGANDA-)

You really don't know the difference between private organizations and tax-payer funded public universities?

It is very relevant. I'll tell you what, you give Me a list of conservative universities that deny progressive speakers. Until then, put your helmet on and hush.
They never ask them at all- Duhhhhh...

Christian schools I have been known to punish staff who support gay and lesbian. Notre Dame would not allow speakers at graduation if they supported abortion.

Obama spoke at Notre Dame you nincompoop.

Beats Me. The issue isn't whether invitations have been issued, but if they actively seek to prevent them from speaking.

A student at Bob Jones could be expelled for simply owning a copy of one of Gloria Steinem's books.

What do you expect would happen if a student suggested inviting her to campus to speak?
You have a link proving that? Is Bob Jones a private or public university?

http://www.bju.edu/life-faith/student-handbook.pdf

Why does its status as "public" or "private" matter?
What?

You can't be serious?

I am serious. Can you answer the question?
Okay, so a private organization, business, a university is private and if they accept no money from government, are not subject to equality of treatment with regard to certain rights.

Let's take the First Amendment since that is what this thread is about.

A private company can't violate someones first amendment right because the right is a protection of the individual from government. That is why it was not a violation of the First when Stormfront was shut down. The server and company that owned the server had the right to set the terms of use for the equipment. A private university can set the terms of use for their campus.

However, if a University is a public university, and accept taxpayer funding, they are subject to the equal and fair treatment of the Constitution. They become a de facto agent of the government and cannot shut down someones right to free speech.

Now, I suggest you google private vs public if you are still confused.

I'm guessing that Gloria Steinem's invitation to speak at Bob Jones University was lost in the mail then?

Then why don't you try and get the students to invite her! That is how conservatives got to Bezerkley. If she is invited and a violent riot breaks out, then you have a narrative. Until then, all you have is PROPAGANDA-)

Because I don't give a fuck about what happens at Bob Jones University.

Has Hillary Clinton ever shown any interest to speak at NRA conventions? I don't recall any if she ever does decide she wants to and is invited to and there are violent protest and threats of violence to prevent her from doing so get back to us.

What?

You can't be serious?

Okay, so a private organization, business, a university is private and if they accept no money from government, are not subject to equality of treatment with regard to certain rights.

A private company can't violate someones first amendment right because the right is a protection of the individual from government. That is why it was not a violation of the First when Stormfront was shut down. The server and company that owned the server had the right to set the terms of use for the equipment. A private university can set the terms of use for their campus.

However, if a University is a public university, and accept taxpayer funding, they are subject to the equal and fair treatment of the Constitution. They become a de facto agent of the government and cannot shut down someones right to free speech.

Yes, let's take the First Amendment, and examine it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Since no one has suggested that Congress pass a law abridging anyone's right to free speech, how exactly does it apply here?

In fact, if there is a progressive student body at Bob Jones University and they invite her and the conservative students protest, I would fault the conservative students, even though the University is not held to the same standard as a public school.

Either you believe in the first or you don't.

What?

You can't be serious?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Since no one has suggested that Congress pass a law abridging anyone's right to free speech, how exactly does it apply here?
Read My entire reply. Sheesh.

The school is a de facto agent of the government.

In fact, if there is a progressive student body at Bob Jones University and they invite her and the conservative students protest, I would fault the conservative students, even though the University is not held to the same standard as a public school.

I would phrase that a little differently.

Either you understand what the First Amendment is, or you don't.

You guys appear to fall in the latter camp.

What?

You can't be serious?

Your entire reply is based on an erroneous reading of the First.

As for being a "de facto agent of the government", they are not. In any sense of the word.

More importantly, denying someone a venue in which to speak is not abridging their freedom of speech.

No, and now I'm done with you.

I understand it perfectly and the wording of My sentence is deliberate. There is a difference between understanding and believing.

It appears you only believe in it when you agree with the speech.

Have a good night.

I understand it perfectly and the wording of My sentence is deliberate. There is a difference between understanding and believing.

Have a good night.

Do you think that you're somehow punishing me by running away from this conversation?

You're welcome to give up if you want, but don't expect me to be upset by it.

And yet you seem to think if they don't invite certain people they are anti free speech

Cons brag that they are for free speech intolerant of other views. Well where are they?

Cons brag that they are for free speech intolerant of other views.

I haven't seen conservatives riot when a liberal speaker is invited to speak at a college. Have you?

What?

You can't be serious?

Your entire reply is based on an erroneous reading of the First.

As for being a "de facto agent of the government", they are not. In any sense of the word.

More importantly, denying someone a venue in which to speak is not abridging their freedom of speech.
Oh good. we can now allow teachers to pray in schools. You've said it and this entire time we've been denying them that right on the basis of a teacher being a de facto authority of government.

Goodbye.

Being burned at the stake comes to mind.

Have a good night.

Do you think that you're somehow punishing me by running away from this conversation?

You're welcome to give up if you want, but don't expect me to be upset by it.
What?

I'm telling you that I refuse to play the "did too, did not' childish game. I've made My case, I am right and I have no intention of wasting the whole night beating your head against your obstinance.

you cons like to talk a lot crap about free speech. When do you ever accept left wing speech ?

I don't see Hillary being invited to NRA conventions . For example .

Moron....free speech isn't about having he other guy talk at your event...it is about not stopping them from having their own events.....that is what antifa, black lives matter do, they stop conservatives from having their own events.

Forum List

Back