When did we vote to be the "World's Police"?

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
The one thing that struck me out of the President's speech tonight regarding a strike on Syria. He stated: "NO ONE else can make this strike." So apparently the U.K. has now been castrated along with France and everyone else.

Then one person asked why are we the World's police? A very good question, because I sure don't remember the American population voting to take that job, nor do I remember any administration volunteering for it.

And if the World expects us to be the World's Police, then the rest of the World can dam well pay us to do it. And they can start by paying off the 17 trillion in red ink.

Color-Syria-assad-WEB.jpg

this "world's police" thing has been hap'nin' since before you were born...

jes' relax 'n enjoy the ride... :)

The one thing that struck me out of the President's speech tonight regarding a strike on Syria. He stated: "NO ONE else can make this strike." So apparently the U.K. has now been castrated along with France and everyone else.

Then one person asked why are we the World's police? A very good question, because I sure don't remember the American population voting to take that job, nor do I remember any administration volunteering for it.

And if the World expects us to be the World's Police, then the rest of the World can dam well pay us to do it. And they can start by paying off the 17 trillion in red ink.

WE did not, and that is the whole point here.

NEVER in the recent history was there a situation when American people are so opposed to the war to be STARTED, yet the president is pushing this idiocy

I think I am quite a bit older than you--and no we weren't the World's police during the Reagan era--and when G.H.W. Bush 1 entered the Gulf War he made sure that others paid for it--not us.

We've always been the "cops of the world." Where have they been?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTbI7FCLl0]Phil Ochs Cops of the world (lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

We've always been the "cops of the world." Where have you been?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTbI7FCLl0]Phil Ochs Cops of the world (lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

Da--Duh--before ww2 we were in a period of isolation--we wanted nothing to do with other peoples problems. After Viet Nam we went back to that mindset--and I want to know when we voted to accept the job of the World's police because to my sixty year recollection we never voted to accept that job.

First we set out to be the protector, knowing how we were oppressed by the British, we would not allow for such oppression to exist in the world again. But over time this worldly guardian became a hunter, the hunter a spy, and the spy a saboteur. Not only do we fail to protect the world, we fail in our own ideals; setting about destroying and creating regimes at will, with no regard of the consequences, all with utter impunity, all under the guise of "national security."

We set out on that quest upon our establishment as a nation, in 1776.

Last edited:

Da--Duh--before ww2 we were in a period of isolation--we wanted nothing to do with other peoples problems. After Viet Nam we went back to that mindset--and I want to know when we voted to accept the job of the World's police because to my sixty year recollection we never voted to accept that job.

There was an America before WWII, and we sent marines to many places on this planet to enforce our safety.

I think I am quite a bit older than you--and no we weren't the World's police during the Reagan era--and when G.H.W. Bush 1 entered the Gulf War he made sure that others paid for it--not us.

I doubt that you're older than me...

and, btw, we'd been doing the "world's police" thing long before Reagan...

More revisionist history!

The US Occupation of the Dominican Republic, 1916-1924

The US Occupation of the Dominican Republic, 1916-1924:

In 1916, the US government occupied the Dominican Republic, mostly because a chaotic and unstable political situation there was preventing the Dominican Republic from paying back debts owed to the USA and other foreign countries. The US military easily subdued any Dominican resistance and occupied the nation for eight years. The occupation was unpopular both with the Dominicans and Americans in the USA who felt it was a waste of money.

A History of Intervention:

At the time, it was common for the USA to intervene in the affairs of other nations, particularly those in the Caribbean or Central America. The reason was the Panama Canal, completed in 1914 at a high cost to the United States. The Canal was (and still is) hugely important strategically and economically. The USA felt that any nations in the vicinity had to be closely watched and, if need be, controlled in order to protect their investment. In 1903, the United States created the "Santo Domingo Improvement Company" in charge of regulating customs at Dominican ports in an effort to recoup past debts. In 1915, the US had occupied Haiti, which shares the island of Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic: they would stay until 1934.

LOL, what? We invaded Grenada and sent troops to Lebanon twice. Not to mention our behind the scenes support for Saddam during the Iran-Iraq War as well as the support of the mujahideen in Afghanistan. I might be missing something as well.

Forum List

Back