when horror movies

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
relied on acting.

1714062014457.png

I'd still rather watch Chaney in makeup than the CGI we're given today.

Remember when they showed a horror movie on Saturday night late and it was hosted by a vampire in a coffin or Vampira?... they showed old horror movies... I tried to stay up every Saturday night to watch them... sometimes I would make it through the whole movie.... My mom would have to wake me up and tell me to go to bed...
Vampira, portrayed by Maila Nurmi, was one of the first horror hosts, debuting on "The Vampira Show" in the 1950s. Elvira, played by Cassandra Peterson, is perhaps the most famous horror host, known for her goth style, humor, and double entendres on her show "Elvira's Movie Macabre" in the 1980s.

These shows were a great way to watch old horror movies and enjoy some late-night entertainment with a twist of campy horror. It's no wonder you tried to stay up to watch them! It sounds like you have some fond memories of those nights. Would you watch similar shows if they were available today?

Remember when they showed a horror movie on Saturday night late and it was hosted by a vampire in a coffin or Vampira?... they showed old horror movies... I tried to stay up every Saturday night to watch them... sometimes I would make it through the whole movie.... My mom would have to wake me up and tell me to go to bed...
Vampira, portrayed by Maila Nurmi, was one of the first horror hosts, debuting on "The Vampira Show" in the 1950s. Elvira, played by Cassandra Peterson, is perhaps the most famous horror host, known for her goth style, humor, and double entendres on her show "Elvira's Movie Macabre" in the 1980s.

These shows were a great way to watch old horror movies and enjoy some late-night entertainment with a twist of campy horror. It's no wonder you tried to stay up to watch them! It sounds like you have some fond memories of those nights. Would you watch similar shows if they were available today?
Try Svenghoolie on Me TV

Back in the 1970's here around Philly we had Dr. Shock.

I'd rather watch anything pre 2000 than something new.

Even the toxic avenger with their small budget looked better than horror movies today. Even mediocre practical effects beats high budget computer effects.

The dark crystal I still find visually amazing and wonderful despite it all being puppets. Visually speaking its more exciting to watch than avengers end game with it's 100 million dollar computer effects. Raiders of the Lost ark is far more exciting and fun than any action movie made in the past 20 years. The exorcist is visually more scary than anything in the last decade.

Honestly computer effects were fine when they were used in small amounts, now they shoot everything in front of green screens and they are fun because it isn't real.

And all those old horror movie actors are 10x better than current ones because they actually acted and tried to put on a good performance for audiences. New actors in horror are just there for a pay check and that's it.

I generally don't watch horror, but some movies I like are labelled as horror, mostly psychological horror. That requires more acting and less wearing a silly costume.

Horror comes in a lot of different flavors.

I grew up watching horror movies on Dialing-for-Dollars. The classic giant animal movies where radiation made monsters, the classic vampire/mummy/werewolf movies, and the psycho slasher movies. All can be fun.

Or sometimes, the real horror isn't what you expect.

This scene is a perfect example:

Forum List

Back