Zone1 When SCOTUS Rules Against Favoritism Based on Race, the Impact will Go Beyond College Admissions

Funny how Lisa is fine with bringing up the past to complain about Jews. She talks about past Jewish quotas, but there are jews of every race. She seems to ignore the fact that black jews endured Jim Crow and white Jews did not.

Funny how Lisa is fine with bringing up the past to complain about Jews. She talks about past Jewish quotas, but there are jews of every race. She seems to ignore the fact that black jews endured Jim Crow and white Jews did not.
As you’ve been told, I don’t bring uo the past to complain about the barbaric treatment of Jews. I bring up the barbaric treatment to show that people can rise above the worst bigotry imaginable if they have the right traits and make the right choices.

As you well know.

.... the social and economic stratification in our system and the overall unfairness of it where those who live in areas with poor schools, few advanced placement courses, unable to afford tutoring etc. start out disadvantaged In college admissions regardless of work ethic or intelligence. Rather than make the marker of success be the starting point, with admissions, it should be the end point with graduation and subsequent jobs.

These students from some of these backgrounds are more likely to return to serve the underserved communities they come from, something badly needed.
1. A diverse college campus. We all benefit. Colleges might be the ONLY place students of varied backgrounds ever encounter each other as peers and learn from each other.
All reasons you should be in support of athletic scholarships.

As you’ve been told, I don’t bring uo the past to complain about the barbaric treatment of Jews. I bring up the barbaric treatment to show that people can rise above the worst bigotry imaginable if they have the right traits and make the right choices.

As you well know.
You don't TELL me anything. You bring up the past to make false equivalences and whine. White Jews benefitted from their skin color and did not face the same barbaric treatment blacks and other people of color faced. Jews admit to this, so whatever disassociation from reality you have pertaining to this issue is not verified by fact or anything else.

You don't TELL me anything. You bring up the past to make false equivalences and whine. White Jews benefitted from their skin color and did not face the same barbaric treatment blacks and other people of color faced. Jews admit to this, so whatever disassociation from reality you have pertaining to this issue is not verified by fact or anything else.
You‘re always saying “as you’ve been told” to other people, so I said the same thing back to you. Comes across as condescending, doesn’t it?

White Jews “benefitted“ by having their families murdered, but instead of whining about it, they buckled down and made a success of their lives instead of blaming failures on the barbaric treatment.

You need to grow up, thank Gd you were born in this country, and have enjoyed all the opportunities and favoritism you’ve had for 60 years.

It sounds like the preference is for private universities filled with whites, Jews, Asians and a few token blacks those in power, deem acceptable...despite the fact AA gave a huge boost to white women. Yet not one complaint about all those less qualified white women admitted at the expense of Asians and white men!
You rock, Coyote!

What she did was practically accuse me of being a racist because I say that people should not factor race into a decision.

You libs are all for it, as long as it works against whites, Asians, and Jews.
I think Coyote is a dude! And I have a hard time believing he would say that? BTW, you are wrong about liberals.

I follow the laws. If it’s legal, it’s allowed; if not, it needs to stop. All your blah-blah-blah about “Birth Supremacy“ is ridiculous. If I didn’t know better, I‘d say you sound like one of these leftists who object to favoring American citizens over illegal migrants.

P.S. I was born here. I have no more ”supremacy” than any black college applicant born here as well, in the year 2004.
"Will This Be on the Exam?"

Your elitist education has put your mind in a straitjacket ("straightjacket" in Collegese). You are subconsciously driven to miss the point. By birth-class, you don't want to admit that it a socially destructive caste based on one's parents' wealth, on birth rather than on worth. Avoiding that, you pretend it's about a classification based on where someone was born, not about the unearned class-privilege he was born into.

You pretend to think that "Rabbit, Run" is only about John Updike's novel. Only relevant if Rabbit Angstrom was exhausted from pushing himself to become a star athlete, then lost all ambition afterwards, not even taking a college athletic "scholarship." Instead, I was thinking along the lines of the Hare and the Tortoise fable, but the hare is just lazy and undisciplined, not exhausted.

Third, your illogical refutation about Asians being workoholics in school actually proves my point, as if I had been referring to only what they did in high school to get accepted in a top college. One Korean girl I knew had such exhaustion after she graduated and got a good job that she became a clinger to her first boyfriend (after being too busy studying to go out on dates before graduating) that when he dumped her, she committed suicide. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it, but now I know why. Maybe someday you will know, too. But I doubt it, because
that kind of awareness is outside your comfort zone.

"Will This Be on the Exam?"

Your elitist education has put your mind in a straitjacket ("straightjacket" in Collegese). You are subconsciously driven to miss the point. By birth-class, you don't want to admit that it a socially destructive caste based on one's parents' wealth, on birth rather than on worth. Avoiding that, you pretend it's about a classification based on where someone was born, not about the unearned class-privilege he was born into.

You pretend to think that "Rabbit, Run" is only about John Updike's novel. Only relevant if Rabbit Angstrom was exhausted from pushing himself to become a star athlete, then lost all ambition afterwards, not even taking a college athletic "scholarship." Instead, I was thinking along the lines of the Hare and the Tortoise fable, but the hare is just lazy and undisciplined, not exhausted.

Third, your illogical refutation about Asians being workoholics in school actually proves my point, as if I had been referring to only what they did in high school to get accepted in a top college. One Korean girl I knew had such exhaustion after she graduated and got a good job that she became a clinger to her first boyfriend (after being too busy studying to go out on dates before graduating) that when he dumped her, she committed suicide. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it, but now I know why. Maybe someday you will know, too. But I doubt it, because
that kind of awareness is outside your comfort zone.
You started off with an insult and putdown, so I didn’t read further. Sorry you wasted your time.

P.S. I did skim. What makes you think my parents had wealth? They grew up dirt poor. Not every white person with a college education is a legacy.

I don't think Lisa really ever worked in admissions. For decades test scores were just one factor and race was one factor. You would think a person who worked in college admissions could name the criteria but all Lisa does is sound like Correll whining about some kind of black favoritism that doesn't exist. I think I would know if that existed and her continuing to make that claim is just as offensive to us as the term racist is to them. But we can't use that word but she and others can makes this offensive claim. Can that stop?
One problem I have with using my iPad is words seem to get skipped. What I meant to say was gpa and test scores have never been the sole criteria, like you say, along with race one of many factors.

I don’t know if she worked in admissions or not, we are in the end, what people choose to believe about us in this place. But….I’ll limit my words to say I hope that attitude seen here is not the attitude presented to applicants.

When comes to calling members racist, that is not ok in Zone 1, in either direction. I think the argument about “favoritism” is fair game for discussion though.

Of course it’s multiple factors, and RACE is one of them. Race should not be a FACTOR at all. Otherwise, it’s racist. That is what the SCOTUS is going to rule on.

Why? If you are seeking a diverse campus race should be one of many factors….as is GENDER.

As far as women, it favors black women. It’s past time to remove race and gender, if indeed gender is factored in, and let students get in on their own merits.
Why? How does excluding those mean the student lacks any other merit?

Interesting that you now make the claim it favors black women.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Biden is not pushing anything. Trump wanted to be King and thats why he planned the insurrection. But trump offers what you want, so does the current republican party. What happens if Democrats win?
Ya…that Biden claim was a total non sequiter….let’s not go down that rabbit hole With her.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

As you well know.
Certainly many Black families have succeeded despite the worst bigotry and “separate but equal” policies that forced them to shelter their kids from the worst of it, build wealth only to see it lost in a moment due to riots and government policies. Despite all that they built colleges that were able to give their children an excellent education.

All reasons you should be in support of athletic scholarships.
I’m actually not against them (as long as the academic side matters). Likewise I support scholarships for first generation students and underrepresented minorities. None of it threatens me.

One problem I have with using my iPad is words seem to get skipped. What I meant to say was gpa and test scores have never been the sole criteria, like you say, along with race one of many factors.

I don’t know if she worked in admissions or not, we are in the end, what people choose to believe about us in this place. But….I’ll limit my words to say I hope that attitude seen here is not the attitude presented to applicants.

When comes to calling members racist, that is not ok in Zone 1, in either direction. I think the argument about “favoritism” is fair game for discussion though.
OK….I will say this again because you people keep putting words in my mouth: I NEVER said that GPA and test scores are the only factors, albeit they are the two most important - or should be as they are the best indicators of an applicant‘s likelihood of success in the program.

There are other factors that are predictive as well. Was the applicant the president of the Student Body in high school? Editor of the yearbook? Was the kid from an underprivileged background and and STILL got a near-perfect exam score?

LOTS of factors. But race should not be among them. And that is why the SCOTUS is likely to rule that it is a violation to do so.

Forum List

Back