When The Oligarchs Finally Ban all Cash, What Will be the Black Market Currency?

Which of these commodities would you be willing to trade for in a post cash world?

• Total voters
I've cooked canned food in my wood stove using fireplace tongs - and legit needed to; we lost power for 11 days one winter. The wood stove heats the whole house easily, the second detached garage froze though (we lost all our paint heh) We had to use snow to flush the toilets and no showers - that was the worst part of it...

Other things I might trade for:
Batteries - I can make the solar panels, turbines, etc. to collect, but I can't make the batteries to hold the juice.
Fabric - No clue how to make fabric and I presume I'd run out eventually.
Animal Hide - This ones a maybe. My husband knows how to skin and tan hide but what would the laws be regarding hunting them? As it stands now we'd need a license, what the hell do you "trade" the government for a hunting license? heh

I've cooked canned food in my wood stove using fireplace tongs - and legit needed to; we lost power for 11 days one winter. The wood stove heats the whole house easily, the second detached garage froze though (we lost all our paint heh) We had to use snow to flush the toilets and no showers - that was the worst part of it...

Batteries - I can make the solar panels, turbines, etc. to collect, but I can't make the batteries to hold the juice.
Animal Hide - This ones a maybe. My husband knows how to skin and tan hide but what would the laws be regarding hunting them? As it stands now we'd need a license, what the hell do you "trade" the government for a hunting license? heh

Ever wonder why they were trying to ban the wood stoves ------ and it has nothing to do with their false claim of pollution .

Storage tanks or large plastic barrels and buckets are also a handy item. So many uses for them.

We paid for the rural water lines to be put in here but its so expensive to actually use I paid them up for their contracted years and had it turned off. With federal grant money they paid people to fill in their wells here twenty plus years ago. When asked if I would fill ours and take that free money I told the guy no. He asked why not? I told him we have a well God fills for free why in the world would I give that up? He looked at me like I was an idiot.

The muni couldn't /pay/ me to go on city water. I don't want all their treatment shit...

I've got a sweet well in a massive aquifer with few people on it. hmmm

Add Salt to my list of things I would trade for.

The muni couldn't /pay/ me to go on city water. I don't want all their treatment shit...

Honey would probably be a biggy.

idk about that bee-keeping is fairly simple I think folks could manage it if they 'really' wanted some. I guess I'd put honey on a luxury list, but then I've never really been fond of it - I have a stupid phobia of bees, stemming from needles in childhood heh

The EU is quickly moving to eliminate the use of cash transactions in LEGAL markets. But the black market will substitute some commodity for legal cash so that it can continue to store wealth and trade objects for a standard currency. But what might that commodity be?

Gold is a traditional currency as well as silver and a few other metals, and this traditional use gives governments cover to seize these metals from the public on the pretext of preventing hoarding as FDR did decades ago.

Bit Coin is gaining popularity again, but it will only have so many made and when it completes 'mining' the public will have to deal with minor fragments of coins and the inflation for it would seem to go astronomical. Such mental barriers are very real and have impact on trade of said commodity, even if digital.

There are common commodities that never spoil, are always in demand are durable.
Among them are:
Laundry soap
Alcohol such as Rum, Whiskey, vodka
Toilet paper
Food that is canned or vacuum sealed
Bullets
Fuel

If we were in a post cash apocolyptic world, with technology still available as it is today, which ones would you be willing to trade for?

how about the blood of white christian babies?

idk about that bee-keeping is fairly simple I think folks could manage it if they 'really' wanted some. I guess I'd put honey on a luxury list, but then I've never really been fond of it - I have a stupid phobia of bees, stemming from needles in childhood heh
It would be an item which would be tough to regulate and can be used in place of sugar.

The EU is quickly moving to eliminate the use of cash transactions in LEGAL markets. But the black market will substitute some commodity for legal cash so that it can continue to store wealth and trade objects for a standard currency. But what might that commodity be?

Gold is a traditional currency as well as silver and a few other metals, and this traditional use gives governments cover to seize these metals from the public on the pretext of preventing hoarding as FDR did decades ago.

Bit Coin is gaining popularity again, but it will only have so many made and when it completes 'mining' the public will have to deal with minor fragments of coins and the inflation for it would seem to go astronomical. Such mental barriers are very real and have impact on trade of said commodity, even if digital.

There are common commodities that never spoil, are always in demand are durable.
Among them are:
Laundry soap
Alcohol such as Rum, Whiskey, vodka
Toilet paper
Food that is canned or vacuum sealed
Bullets
Fuel

If we were in a post cash apocolyptic world, with technology still available as it is today, which ones would you be willing to trade for?

how about the blood of white christian babies?
Tell us how you really feel.

upload_2017-2-11_9-57-8.jpeg

There will always be an underground black market. If the government becomes to oppressive the people will deny the government by turning to the black market. Whether they are trading in hard commodities or simply doing work for food. The government can't be everywhere and watching everything. Therefore they can't tax what they don't see.

I can see organized crime making currency of their own. Probably made of silver and gold since people will distrust paper currency.

In the end the government would have to become so oppressive that the people will turn against said government.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-11_9-55-52.jpeg
    upload_2017-2-11_9-55-52.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

*****SMILE*****

One problem with old currency is that the government has the right to seize it.

I guess what I am looking for is what the criminals will use as currency in the black markets to store their wealth after cash is banned so that the governments 1) wont likely recognize it as such, and 2) cant easily confiscate it.

Stores of alcohol might not be so easy to seize as currency coins, dont you think?

The government will seize whatever they feel is worth seizing. Easier to hide, and transport, some commodities than others if the wealth is significant. Silver and gold will always be valuable and easier to transport than a semi loaded with booze.

*****CHUCKLE*****

------------------------------------------------- for a regular guy in normal day to day and mostly civilized [non catastrophe] life silver and gold is good but silver is heavy and bulky to amount to much in cash money . Still better than a semi full of hard alcohol or fuel DEagle .

So True on salt....

''worth one's salt''

Salt, WAS MONEY years ago,

in FACT, that is where the word "Salary" comes from...

Where did the expression “worth one’s salt” come from? - Ask History

You might think of salt as nothing more than the inexpensive stuff that tastes good sprinkled on French fries and popcorn, but in fact it’s far more than just a seasoning and has a long history as a highly prized substance. Today, there are reportedly more than 14,000 known uses for salt. Not only does the human body need it to function properly, but salt also is utilized for everything from producing chemicals to deicing roads.

Before the days of artificial refrigeration, the main method for preserving food was to treat it with salt. In this way, salt came to represent power; without it, armies couldn’t travel great distances and explorers couldn’t sail to new lands because their provisions would spoil. Throughout the ages, a variety of cultures also used this mineral in ceremonies and religious rituals. For many centuries, until salt deposits were discovered throughout the world and extraction methods improved, salt was scarce, which made it more valuable.

In some ancient societies, roads and cities developed as a result of the salt trade.
The expression to be worth one’s salt, which means you’re competent and deserve what you’re earning, is most often said to have its roots in ancient Rome, where soldiers were sometimes paid in salt or given an allowance to purchase it. The word salary is derived from the Latin “salarium,” which originally referred to a soldier’s allowance to buy salt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- probably the best thing to have is privately owned land , skills , and self sufficient attitude and skills . Course , everything can be legally taken away one way or the other by government and its agents . A guy in Oregon went to court and then jail for collecting rainwater on his own land .

So True on salt....

''worth one's salt''

Salt, WAS MONEY years ago,

in FACT, that is where the word "Salary" comes from...

Where did the expression “worth one’s salt” come from? - Ask History

You might think of salt as nothing more than the inexpensive stuff that tastes good sprinkled on French fries and popcorn, but in fact it’s far more than just a seasoning and has a long history as a highly prized substance. Today, there are reportedly more than 14,000 known uses for salt. Not only does the human body need it to function properly, but salt also is utilized for everything from producing chemicals to deicing roads.

Before the days of artificial refrigeration, the main method for preserving food was to treat it with salt. In this way, salt came to represent power; without it, armies couldn’t travel great distances and explorers couldn’t sail to new lands because their provisions would spoil. Throughout the ages, a variety of cultures also used this mineral in ceremonies and religious rituals. For many centuries, until salt deposits were discovered throughout the world and extraction methods improved, salt was scarce, which made it more valuable.

In some ancient societies, roads and cities developed as a result of the salt trade.
The expression to be worth one’s salt, which means you’re competent and deserve what you’re earning, is most often said to have its roots in ancient Rome, where soldiers were sometimes paid in salt or given an allowance to purchase it. The word salary is derived from the Latin “salarium,” which originally referred to a soldier’s allowance to buy salt.

Also a requirement for survival. I suppose if you're lucky enough to live near the ocean or salt flats you might not trade for it, but I can almost guarantee you'd be trading it heh

I imagine the beaches would look like the rivers did up here during the gold rush, with people shooting each other to protect their 'mother lode' spots. That might tick bullets and metal for forging arrows up in value in such resource areas.

Last edited:
Maine produces sea salt, guess that's the business I would go in to... :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- probably the best thing to have is privately owned land , skills , and self sufficient attitude and skills . Course , everything can be legally taken away one way or the other by government and its agents . Aguy in Oregon went to court and then jail for collecting rainwater on his own land .

True that. I suppose I already have land so it doesn't occur to me that city folks would basically be fucked. I live in Alaska, we have pretty much everything necessary for long term survival right out the door. Hell if it got real bad in the city I've got a hunting cabin on 10 acres way north that's basically inaccessible but by heli drop or on foot (and the latter would be rough.)

I might add Dog to my list; in times like that a dog might be worth it's weight for protection, hunting assistance, portable emergency food source, etc. I've made thread out of husky under fur, they also make good blankets (alive or dead). I'd consider it a wise investment.

Also a requirement for survival. I suppose if you're lucky enough to live near the ocean or salt flats you might not trade for it, but I can almost guarantee you'd be trading it heh

I imagine the beaches would look like the rivers did up here during the gold rush, with people shooting each other to protect their 'mother lode' spots. That might tick bullets and metal for forging arrows up in value in such resource areas.
Utah has huge salt flats but the areas surrounding those nearby would pretty inhospitable.

Forum List

Back