When The Oligarchs Finally Ban all Cash, What Will be the Black Market Currency?

Which of these commodities would you be willing to trade for in a post cash world?

• Total voters
I would have to learn to like venison... and get over my Bambi concerns, cuz there is plenty of deer here... there's about 40-60 of them that feed off the wild apple trees on our property....and Maine has a HUGE Moose population.... SALT would be key, though a smoker might do the trick...

Yeah we're near the ocean and a salmon river. I could see going into salt production and fishing as a new 'profession.' Though I'd probably turn to providing safe housing & protection in exchange for knowledge & physical labor first. My husband's West Point trained special forces and our house is big enough for quite a few and I imagine some would trade for such a service/rent. We're on just over an acre here so we could make a hella garden, sadly I kill /everything/ so we'd need "farm hands" heh

Smoker is a good call, you can get enough salt out of a pacific salmon to get by as I understand it from the natives. Also, husky's can survive on fish carcasses so fishing could serve a lot of purposes. Smoke it up and pack it into the city to sell, like the fur hunters.

I would have to learn to like venison... and get over my Bambi concerns, cuz there is plenty of deer here... there's about 40-60 of them that feed off the wild apple trees on our property....and Maine has a HUGE Moose population.... SALT would be key, though a smoker might do the trick...
I can't eat deer meat either but it can keep the dogs fed in an emergency. I butchered a Bambi that was hit by a car one year for my two hundred pound baby dog. I felt terrible about it when the mamma came close because she was so friendly. She had raised her babes season after season here for several years and was not afraid of us or the dog. He wouldn't even bark at them as they were like part of the place.

I like reindeer sausage (Caribou sausage in Alaska) but I'm not keen on gamey meats or fish - which is why I'd trade for canned food :p

Ah replacement for honey might be syrups. Birch syrup is a big thing up here.

*****SMILE*****

:)

One problem with old currency is that the government has the right to seize it.

I guess what I am looking for is what the criminals will use as currency in the black markets to store their wealth after cash is banned so that the governments 1) wont likely recognize it as such, and 2) cant easily confiscate it.

Stores of alcohol might not be so easy to seize as currency coins, dont you think?

The government will seize whatever they feel is worth seizing. Easier to hide, and transport, some commodities than others if the wealth is significant. Silver and gold will always be valuable and easier to transport than a semi loaded with booze.

*****CHUCKLE*****

------------------------------------------------- for a regular guy in normal day to day and mostly civilized [non catastrophe] life silver and gold is good but silver is heavy and bulky to amount to much in cash money . Still better than a semi full of hard alcohol or fuel DEagle .

images

If a large section of society is utilizing gold and silver for off the book transactions the going rate of gold and silver will skyrocket.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things (utensils and throw away arrow heads for small game comes immediately to mind.)

Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things.
How long do they keep though? Is there a muscle canning process that one can do in ones kitchen? I suppose there is but I have never heard of it.

Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things.
We have clams in our pond that could be ate in Winter months. Daughter put a few in when we built it and its full of them now. Some are six inches across.

How long do they keep though? Is there a muscle canning process that one can do in ones kitchen? I suppose there is but I have never heard of it.

As I understand it they actively reproduce and replenish gaps in the line, though I'm not entirely up to snuff on it.

I suspect muscles are not preservable, not really enough there and they're heavy water so I'd imagine it'd be like snails/slugs and salt heh

Probably need to can them with a pressure cooker like any other meat.

I can't eat deer meat either but it can keep the dogs fed in an emergency. I butchered a Bambi that was hit by a car one year for my two hundred pound baby dog. I felt terrible about it when the mamma came close because she was so friendly. She had raised her babes season after season here for several years and was not afraid of us or the dog. He wouldn't even bark at them as they were like part of the place.
Oh my gosh.....what a sad story.... :(

we have the same deer year after year coming in to our yard to eat the apples....they have markings that you recognize, year after year, with mom's bringing their fawns then yearlings to show them where the apples are....They are not afraid of us at all...I could be within 30 ft from them coming out the back door and they do not even run, they simply keep eating the apples....it would be a very very hard circumstance for me to eat them.....I'll stick with Lobster and fish for as long as I can, IF sh*t ever hit the fan.

I've heard India banned the two largest rupee notes. After that it seems they have a bad situation over there: people with health and food problems, peasants that can't sell their harvest...a real mess!
Imagine what would happen if they ban all cash without any exception...
I hope the European Union won't take the same decision :eek-52:

Re Medicine - I'd imagine pharma would go under, and really sick folks would keel over as well. Natural remedy desire would jump back up - though I'd imagine at least for me the seeds would be more important than the plants themselves. Up here Marijuana grows nuts all summer, plus it likes growing inside, so that would remain the medicine of choice up here.

Oh my gosh.....what a sad story.... :(

we have the same deer year after year coming in to our yard to eat the apples....they have markings that you recognize, year after year, with mom's bringing their fawns then yearlings to show them where the apples are....They are not afraid of us at all...I could be within 30 ft from them coming out the back door and they do not even run, they simply keep eating the apples....it would be a very very hard circumstance for me to eat them.....I'll stick with Lobster and fish for as long as I can, IF sh*t ever hit the fan.
Our mamma deer look at the dog we have now when they bark at them like "what's wrong with you can't you see I'm trying to eat".

Feeding the big dog was tough after the bank with the help of the local law enforcement and crooked courts stripped us here. I even butchered a calf that died while being pulled during birth for him. Two hundred pounds is a lot of dog to feed but the effort was well worth it to keep him for all those years.

Last edited:
Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things (utensils and throw away arrow heads for small game comes immediately to mind.)
wow!! how interesting! I need to read up on that...!

Forum List

Back