When You're 80 and Mom Is Still Your Boss - Maine Lobster Lady Turns 104

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
She is amazing. And the boss. I wonder what her 80-year-old son thinks about all this.

Maine’s oldest lobster trapper just turned 104 — and has no plans to quit anytime soon.

Virginia “Ginny” Oliver celebrated her latest big day last Thursday surrounded by family in Rockland, where they enjoyed her favorite treat of chocolate cake and ice cream, WGME reported.

Ginny, who is the subject of the 2022 kids book “The Lobster Lady,” told author Barbara Walsh that she doesn’t feel old at all — even if she has acquired some more aches in recent years.

“Nobody wants to listen to you complain,” Ginny said.

As for whether she plans on hitting her lobster pots again for this summer’s season, Ginny has no doubts about it.

“Oh, I’m going to go,” she said.

Ginny started fishing with her father and brother in the same Rockland waters she plies today back when she was just 8 years old — making this season the 96th she’ll spend on the water

Ginny's favorite part about lobstering is being the boss. She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right)
Ginny’s favorite part about lobstering is “being the boss.” She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right) AP

This season will mark Ginny's 96th on the water. She first started lobstering when she was 8-years-old

She’s lived her entire life on the same street where she was born in 1920, according to News Center Maine, where she’s raised four kids with her husband — each of whom lobstered.

Her son Max, 80, still goes out on the water with her today.

She is amazing. And the boss. I wonder what her 80-year-old son thinks about all this.

Maine’s oldest lobster trapper just turned 104 — and has no plans to quit anytime soon.
Virginia “Ginny” Oliver celebrated her latest big day last Thursday surrounded by family in Rockland, where they enjoyed her favorite treat of chocolate cake and ice cream, WGME reported.
Ginny, who is the subject of the 2022 kids book “The Lobster Lady,” told author Barbara Walsh that she doesn’t feel old at all — even if she has acquired some more aches in recent years.
As for whether she plans on hitting her lobster pots again for this summer’s season, Ginny has no doubts about it.
Ginny started fishing with her father and brother in the same Rockland waters she plies today back when she was just 8 years old — making this season the 96th she’ll spend on the water
Ginny's favorite part about lobstering is being the boss. She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right)'s favorite part about lobstering is being the boss. She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right)
Ginny’s favorite part about lobstering is “being the boss.” She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right) AP
This season will mark Ginny's 96th on the water. She first started lobstering when she was 8-years-old's 96th on the water. She first started lobstering when she was 8-years-old
She’s lived her entire life on the same street where she was born in 1920, according to News Center Maine, where she’s raised four kids with her husband — each of whom lobstered.

Talk about a cognitive difference between this lovely lady and Mr. Potatohead Bribem.

Ginny's favorite part about lobstering is being the boss. She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right)'s favorite part about lobstering is being the boss. She still goes out with her 80-year-old son Max (right)
This season will mark Ginny's 96th on the water. She first started lobstering when she was 8-years-old's 96th on the water. She first started lobstering when she was 8-years-old

She looks better than most women who are only in the 80-90 age range.

She looks far better than my MIL looked in her final year, as she cruised up on age 103. Amazing!

Forum List

Back