🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Where Can I Get The Education?

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
Okay...it's been awhile since I was in school and learned anything...

But if I wanted to learn how to do farming...
Where do I go?

Tractors aren't cheap and are extremely complicated anymore. They got GPS and computerized steering...more hydraulic connections and data connections than I ever thought possible.

Then there's the economics and business models...how in the world do you make money? So much of the produce just doesn't make any money... between the cost of fertilizers and pesticides and farm diesel...

Then there's the harvesting...
That's going to take some serious amounts of labor...and low skilled labor is evaporating in America...so harvesting a crop is going to be problematic too.

How do you do all of this stuff?
Where do you go to learn how?

Is it ok to mix varieties of peaches in a Grove? How about strawberries? Can grapes grow in Georgia? How about cherries? Fertilizer costs and water pumping costs are over the top lately...

Where do I go?

Tractors aren't cheap and are extremely complicated anymore. They got GPS and computerized steering...more hydraulic connections and data connections than I ever thought possible.

Then there's the economics and business models...how in the world do you make money? So much of the produce just doesn't make any money... between the cost of fertilizers and pesticides and farm diesel...

That's going to take some serious amounts of labor...and low skilled labor is evaporating in America...so harvesting a crop is going to be problematic too.

Is it ok to mix varieties of peaches in a Grove? How about strawberries? Can grapes grow in Georgia? How about cherries? Fertilizer costs and water pumping costs are over the top lately...
Check if your local colleges and universities offer a degree in agriculture, there are even online schools that offer those degrees.

Where do I go?

how big of a farm do you want to have is the question I would ask,,
if youre looking at a small farm youtube is your best friend,,

for fruit trees this guy is the go to

Where do I go?

this is part 1 of a series if you are really serious about market farming that is tested and proven by many people,,

Do farm work.

It's backbreaking and pays very little, but you'll learn about farming.

Oh, and it's dangerous. Lots of one armed and one-legged people in farm country.

Where do I go?

Try any local university.

You may not learn anything relevant to being a farmer but you may start cross dressing after attending classes and, who knows, maybe find a career as a drag queen.

And as long as democrats are in power you may get appointed to a gig their as well, but only if you are a sexual deviant of some sort.

That's not up to you or I in the OP's case. The OP makes the decision, not us.
its not like I am holding him back and not letting him do it,,

that fact is farming has been around long before any higher education and is one of those things that is best learned in the field not in some class room,,

but sure go ahead and spend money and take an 18 month course on it,, but then he will have to go and learn it first hand by doing it,,

its not like I am holding him back and not letting him do it,,

that fact is farming has been around long before any higher education and is one of those things that is best learned in the field not in some class room,,

but sure go ahead and spend money and take an 18 month course on it,, but then he will have to go and learn it first hand by doing it,,
You have your preferred method of learning, his might be different. The scholastic approach in this degree field isn't just book learning, it's also hands on.

You have your preferred method of learning, his might be different. The scholastic approach in this degree field isn't just book learning, it's also hands on.
my preferred method has been used for centuries where yours requires he pay someone else for what he can get paid to learn through an internship or hands on,,

while youre pushing your colleges I am providing all he needs to have to learn it himself,,

that 1st part video I provided along with the other 4 will give him enough knowledge to start on his own and its only but 7 hrs of his life,,

Texas A&M and its satellites have an excellent Agri-Business degree program; so do states like Iowa , Wisconsin, and others scattered around the country. The most successful small farmers are 'botique' farmers, growing foods and herbs for upscale markets, or even fish farming.It's getting tougher and tougher to find niches to exploit, though, and a lot of 2nd and 3rd World competition. You will pretty much have to specialize to survive at all. Upfront costs are pretty big even for a small place; the bigger the place the lower the expenses per acre get. But there are always people going bankrupt or retiring, so used stuff is not hard to find.

Learning to drive a tractor and that sort of stuff isn't that hard; running a farm as a business and not a hobby is. It isn't rocket science but it's not for idiots either, except for those whose grandparents accumulated huge spreads and get paid to grow nothing every year. You can always grow corn, since the Feds subsidize that and forces ethanol in gasoline to create a big artificial market for it, even though it's worthless.

Schools are the best places to get started, whether or not you get a degree, as they have access to libraries and information that would cost you more as an individual than a student. Many of the instructors are farmers and ranchers themselves, and have access to equipment to train with as well, so you don't need to buy all that stuff until you know what to do with it and maintain it, plus the soil sciences and botany and all that is necessary as well.

Last edited:

Where do I go?

All States have Agricultural Departments

I would start small and see what works and what doesn’t.

Where do I go?

if you want to learn meat chicken farming on low to medium scale this guys got all the info you need,,

my preferred method has been used for centuries where yours requires he pay someone else for what he can get paid to learn through an internship or hands on,,

while youre pushing your colleges I am providing all he needs to have to learn it himself,,

that 1st part video I provided along with the other 4 will give him enough knowledge to start on his own and its only but 7 hrs of his life,,
I'm not the one pushing anything, you are. I offered an option, you attacked it not the other way around. If you can't or won't see that then there's no need to continue this "discussion".

Forum List

Back