Which State Will Have the First Civil Disobedience?

What is wrong with acting like adults and responsible citizens? What is wrong with a society acting as one to protect one another from a pernicious virus?

PS--you know you have really valid points when the shaming starts: ie, "acting like adults and responsible citizens". The more you have to shame, the more you make it clear that your arguments are thin
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want the equivalent of Italy in this nation. They also did not take the virus seriously. The question is what is more important protecting masses of human lives or closing a restaurant/bar for 30 days? Obviously, Trump thought it serious enough to declare a national emergency. I support his action as late as it may be.

False equivalency and false choice. We are not like Italy because our nation is considerably younger, for one, and for another our health care system is much different. Secondly, the choice is not as binary as protecting masses of humans or closing bars/restaurants for 30 days. At the very least, these boneheaded govs could have done it by COUNTY, not by entire state. There are entire unaffected regions shut down with not a single case. That's an instance of "the cure is worse than the disease".
And we weren't this stupid as a nation. Bet they regret it now!

And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

Sooner or later people are going to crawl out of their rabbit holes, to an economy suffering because of their fear,and discover they've been had

This is a disaster, all right, but the disaster is not the virus. It's the response.

I served through a number of them, there was no where near this level of panic, it's an 'effin virus, not the zombie apocalypse

~S~

And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

Sooner or later people are going to crawl out of their rabbit holes, to an economy suffering because of their fear,and discover they've been had

This is a disaster, all right, but the disaster is not the virus. It's the response.

I served through a number of them, there was no where near this level of panic, it's an 'effin virus, not the zombie apocalypse

~S~

I mean even candycorn is on this thread saying yeah, maybe it's an overreach from these Dem governors so......

So Sue, objectively we could claim to be trading our freedoms for security

which is what our governance is selling right now

there's a term for that, and it's not very pretty.....

~S~

The article linked below contains a list of states that have closed bars and restaurants. In my state, there is an entire region unaffected by Coronavirus--zero reported cases. Who's going to be the first restaurant/bar owner in that portion of the state--or ANY state--to say screw it and open their doors to a flood of customers?

I say one week, ten days at the outside. When one does, other owners in other states will do the same, especially in areas with no Coronavirus. And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

Which states have closed restaurants and bars due to coronavirus?
Places with no Coronavirus will have Coronavirus. It could take a week or so but Hicksville will indeed have it. Having a public menace in the White House is bad enough but you think we should create more?The first bar that defies the order to close has a fair chance of being burned to the ground and rightfully so. The owner will not be treated sympathetically.

False equivalency and false choice. We are not like Italy because our nation is considerably younger, for one, and for another our health care system is much different. Secondly, the choice is not as binary as protecting masses of humans or closing bars/restaurants for 30 days. At the very least, these boneheaded govs could have done it by COUNTY, not by entire state. There are entire unaffected regions shut down with not a single case. That's an instance of "the cure is worse than the disease".

Um, yeah. Problem with that is, if you do it by county, then people from "closed" county just drive out to the open county and spread the disease that way.

We just got a letter from the County in Northern Wisconsin where my family has vacation property, telling property owners not to come up there, because they only have one small hospital that normally is just good for removing fishing hooks and treating chainsaw injuries, and they aren't ready for this shit at all.

The idea is to reduce the spread so that areas that are less well equipped to cope don't have to.

Places with no Coronavirus will have Coronavirus. It could take a week or so but Hicksville will indeed have it. Having a public menace in the White House is bad enough but you think we should create more?The first bar that defies the order to close has a fair chance of being burned to the ground and rightfully so. The owner will not be treated sympathetically.

Sour Sue is upset that Trump has failed so badly at this.

So Sue, objectively we could claim to be trading our freedoms for security

which is what our governance is selling right now

there's a term for that, and it's not very pretty.....

~S~

Most of our fellow citizens are not only okay with it, they're asking for it. They're begging the overlords for it. And if YOU are not okay with it, they will shame you.

It's embarrassing.

Depends on a lot of things.

What they're not telling people in these states where they're just locking things down, and I'm in one of them, is that this will likely not reduce the number of cases and will likely prolong this. They're trying to buy time through these actions.

Once people realize that, and they will, we may see some pushback. If 3 weeks turns into 3 months and people are simply running out of money despite any government aid package, and defaulting on their mortgages and running into other problems what is now a fairly orderly situation may get ugly.

The article linked below contains a list of states that have closed bars and restaurants. In my state, there is an entire region unaffected by Coronavirus--zero reported cases. Who's going to be the first restaurant/bar owner in that portion of the state--or ANY state--to say screw it and open their doors to a flood of customers?

I say one week, ten days at the outside. When one does, other owners in other states will do the same, especially in areas with no Coronavirus. And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

So, I'm asking about civil disobedience by opening a restaurant that will make money.

The response that you suggested--and that Joe (who needs help) agreed with--is to burn that establishment to the ground, because Authority Was Not Obeyed.

Everyone.

Never, ever, ever forget who these people are. Never.

So, I'm asking about civil disobedience by opening a restaurant that will make money.

The response that you suggested--and that Joe (who needs help) agreed with--is to burn that establishment to the ground, because Authority Was Not Obeyed.

Everyone.

Never, ever, ever forget who these people are. Never.
Yeah..people like Trump who declared a national emergency albeit later than it should have been.

Depends on a lot of things.

What they're not telling people in these states where they're just locking things down, and I'm in one of them, is that this will not reduce the number of cases and will likely prolong this. They're trying to buy time through these actions.

Once people realize that, and they will, we may see some pushback. If 3 weeks turns into 3 months and people are simply running out of money despite any government aid package, and defaulting on their mortgages and running into other problems what is now a fairly orderly situation may get ugly.

I don't see the patience for this even extending much to three weeks. I don't. And I'm in one of two counties in my state with the most cases. Three months? Not. A. Chance.

No, they should burn them to the ground because they are ENDANGERING LIVES TO MAKE MONEY.

That's how we got into this mess to start with...

Forum List

Back