Which Would You Choose

Which Would You Choose to Lose (if you had to choose 1)?

• Missing an Eye (non dominant)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Missing an Arm (non dominant)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Missing a Leg (non dominant)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
I used to work with CNS injured people. That's Central Nervous System, includes brain and spine. I've thought a lot about what those people lose and what the real meaning of handicap is.

Even though I saw it dozens of times, I cannot fathom dealing with the reality of the doctor who stands at the end of the bed and says "I'm sorry but you'll never walk again". Or, "your son played football so will never have any mental capacity beyond that of a 3 year old".

I can remember so many of them - Mark - a young kid who only cared that his toothpaste had three ribbons of color. Physically healthy and probably still alive today. Another one who was never expected to live, never mind function, tied in his wc next to the nurses station, pulling is trach out. Chris. The last time I saw him, he had come back to visit and there was no sign of injury or loss of function. A young man who was so hated by his family for being gay that he shot himself in the chest but lived to be paralyzed from the chest down. An older man who fell off tiny short stool in his kitchen and broke his neck. A young man in a pillow fight with his brother, very high injury, no function below his shoulders. A wealthy young woman who was abused and constantly raped by her wealthy atty husband who was only considering suicide but, with her twin daughters in the next room "accidentally" shot herself in the next. She was glad for the lack of sensation because it meant her husband could go on raping her without it causing her so much pain.

There are hundreds more and they all left their mark on me. Most would be shocked to know how common injuries like these are. It is the nature of who and what we are that most catastrophic injuries are to young and otherwise healthy young men. We laugh about the testosterone in a can of beer but it kills and maims so many.

What would I choose to lose?

From the available list, an eye.

But, from my own list, my mind - because I saw, so many times, just how horrible it is to know what what you've lost.
So, Luddy, you are a male nurse? Don't bother to specify, as ANYONE working for a health care provider who is not the doctor should not be a dude. It is subservient and gross. I can just see you now, a creepy old fuck touching and squeezing some helpless person in a hospital bed while you wear a male nurse costume and talk to them with an effeminate voice. BLEEEEEEEEEECCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!! (That is me throwing up).
You are making a lot of assumptions and you are completely off the mark. You're making an ass of yourself.

Also: interesting that people don't want to think about the reality of being maimed.
Are you sure that you are not merely projecting you own lack of perceptive capacity on me?

I used to work with CNS injured people. That's Central Nervous System, includes brain and spine. I've thought a lot about what those people lose and what the real meaning of handicap is.

Even though I saw it dozens of times, I cannot fathom dealing with the reality of the doctor who stands at the end of the bed and says "I'm sorry but you'll never walk again". Or, "your son played football so will never have any mental capacity beyond that of a 3 year old".

I can remember so many of them - Mark - a young kid who only cared that his toothpaste had three ribbons of color. Physically healthy and probably still alive today. Another one who was never expected to live, never mind function, tied in his wc next to the nurses station, pulling is trach out. Chris. The last time I saw him, he had come back to visit and there was no sign of injury or loss of function. A young man who was so hated by his family for being gay that he shot himself in the chest but lived to be paralyzed from the chest down. An older man who fell off tiny short stool in his kitchen and broke his neck. A young man in a pillow fight with his brother, very high injury, no function below his shoulders. A wealthy young woman who was abused and constantly raped by her wealthy atty husband who was only considering suicide but, with her twin daughters in the next room "accidentally" shot herself in the next. She was glad for the lack of sensation because it meant her husband could go on raping her without it causing her so much pain.

There are hundreds more and they all left their mark on me. Most would be shocked to know how common injuries like these are. It is the nature of who and what we are that most catastrophic injuries are to young and otherwise healthy young men. We laugh about the testosterone in a can of beer but it kills and maims so many.

What would I choose to lose?

From the available list, an eye.

But, from my own list, my mind - because I saw, so many times, just how horrible it is to know what what you've lost.
So, Luddy, you are a male nurse? Don't bother to specify, as ANYONE working for a health care provider who is not the doctor should not be a dude. It is subservient and gross. I can just see you now, a creepy old fuck touching and squeezing some helpless person in a hospital bed while you wear a male nurse costume and talk to them with an effeminate voice. BLEEEEEEEEEECCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!! (That is me throwing up).
You are making a lot of assumptions and you are completely off the mark. You're making an ass of yourself.

Also: interesting that people don't want to think about the reality of being maimed.
Are you sure that you are not merely projecting you own lack of perceptive capacity on me?
Absolutely

Forum List

Back