Whitney Houston

407816_2969062039737_1657302107_2442699_1864180441_n.jpg

:dunno:

The death of a famous person in no way detracts from our service men. She was a critically acclaimed and impressive artist. A tragic life doesn't change that. So were Marilyn and Elvis. In fact, if anything it shows just how much a person, even a troubled person who dies tragically, can do thanks to those who made it all possible.

There is Memorial Day. There is Veteran's Day. Every year. This will all pass, the family will do what they have to to make peace, and that will be the end of it. No stolen valor. No stolen glory.

Many singers don't write their own stuff. A gifted voice is not always synonymous with the gift of putting words to music.

I understand that. I generally hold musicians who do not write their own material in a slight degree of contempt. Here's what I mean. I hear people say how much she "contributed" to music. Well.....from my perspective she had a great voice but didn't contribute anything. The composers who wrote the music she performed contributed. There were many singers before her who sang in the same style with as much power and grace so it's not like she revolutionized a vocal style.

So we're not talking about a John Lennon, Bob Dylan, or Rush whose compositions directly impacted how music was written. We're not talking about a Tom Sholtz, George Harrison or Eddie Van Halen who directly impacted how their instrument was played. We're not even talking about a Kiss, Queen, or Madonna who directly impacted how a concert was performed.

So what was this great "contribution"? Some producer found a hot looking woman with a great voice, put her in a packaged show, gave her music to perform....she was just the figure head.

Last edited:
Many singers don't write their own stuff. A gifted voice is not always synonymous with the gift of putting words to music.

I understand that. I generally hold musicians who do not write their own material in a slight degree of contempt. Here's what I mean. I hear people say how much she "contributed" to music. Well.....from my perspective she had a great voice but didn't contribute anything. The composers who wrote the music she performed contributed. There were many singers before her who sang in the same style with as much power and grace so it's not like she revolutionized a vocal style.

So we're not talking about a John Lennon, Bob Dylan, or Rush whose compositions directly impacted how music was written. We're not talking about a Tom Sholtz, George Harrison or Eddie Van Halen who directly impacted how their instrument was played. We're not even talking about a Kiss, Queen, or Madonna who directly impacted how a concert was performed.

So what was this great "contribution"? Some producer found a hot looking woman with a great voice, put her in a packaged show, gave her music to perform....she was just the figure head.

So doctors and nurses don't make any 'contributions' by caring for patients every day. Only if they make some earth shaking discovery! I don't think so. I was taught that I should add to the body of my profession's literature, and I have been published. But the reality is that as much more as I could have contributed through research and publishing, it wasn't possible simply because I had to spend most of my time supporting my family. And I couldn't afford to work the low paying teaching job forever, the only one I had that expected me to publish. None of that negates my life's work.

Elvis didn't write his own stuff, but he certainly ushered in a new age of music. If you don't believe that just ask parents of those of us who were listening to his music at the time. No great actor changed acting because they performed Shakespeare rather than write their own stuff. They are still great actors. Your precept is silly. AND I think you are being overly critical and probably more than a little jealous.

Last edited:
Just sad, perhaps one of the greatest voices ever.....

Oh bullshit. great voices are a dime a dozen. There are millions of people with FAR better voices than she had that did nothing more than sing in their high school choir, their church choir, or simple karaoke.

BS, her kind of voice is not a dime a dozen, and if you think there are people out there with better voices, name them. and yes you are a heartless prick. A neocon no doubt...

Last edited:
Their lives were too precious to be lost because of one person's ego. Yet, they were. They are also due the respect of no public drooling over the cause of death. Your point is made however. I put flowers and tears on the graves of two veterans that I loved quite often.

Grandfather: WWI, Father: WWII (he enlisted on 12/05/41, his 17th birthday), Korea AND Vietnam.

So doctors and nurses don't make any 'contributions' by caring for patients every day. Only if they make some earth shaking discovery! I don't think so. I was taught that I should add to the body of my profession's literature, and I have been published. But the reality is that as much more as I could have contributed through research and publishing, it wasn't possible simply because I had to spend most of my time supporting my family. And I couldn't afford to work the low paying teaching job forever, the only one I had that expected me to publish. None of that negates my life's work.

Elvis didn't write his own stuff, but he certainly ushered in a new age of music. If you don't believe that just ask parents of those of us who were listening to his music at the time. No great actor changed acting because they performed Shakespeare rather than write their own stuff. They are still great actors. Your precept is silly. AND I think you are being overly critical and probably more than a little jealous.

They make a contribution to the lives of their patients, but to the craft of medicine in general.....no. My father was a surgeon. I feel fully confident that if I asked him about his contribution he would say the same thing. I am not saying that she didn't sing in such a way that certain people were not inspired or felt a sense of enjoyment from her singing. I suppose if you wish to call that a contribution that's fine. But to the craft of music itself I see nothing.

As far as Elvis....I hold generally the same opinion. Elvis was a different situation though as his contribution was primarily cultural; a white guy signing what was to that point black music and that opened the door of acceptability for rock/blues/gospel to cross racial lines.

Actors....again I hold pretty much the same opinion. It's a rare actor that in my opinion really performs in such a way that a significant contribution is made to the craft of acting.

Just sad, perhaps one of the greatest voices ever.....

Oh bullshit. great voices are a dime a dozen. There are millions of people with FAR better voices than she had that did nothing more than sing in their high school choir, their church choir, or simple karaoke.

There is a difference between empathy and sympathy. I had empathy for Whitney Houston and I loved the way her beautiful voice made me feel. Her dependency on drugs and alcohol and her enablers, were in the end, her choice to continue. This takes nothing away from feeling empathy for a soul, whose time came to an end.

Whatever gift Whitney Houston had was gone long long ago. She has been unable to sing for at least 15 years.

Their lives were too precious to be lost because of one person's ego. Yet, they were. They are also due the respect of no public drooling over the cause of death. Your point is made however. I put flowers and tears on the graves of two veterans that I loved quite often.

Grandfather: WWI, Father: WWII (he enlisted on 12/05/41, his 17th birthday), Korea AND Vietnam.

This is not the Vietnam era with young men being drafted. We have an all volunteer military. They as adult men and women chose to enlist and put themselves at, what did you call it, 'one person's ego.' Besides, if you want to beat that horse start a thread on it.
beatdeadhorse5-1.gif

They make a contribution to the lives of their patients, but to the craft of medicine in general.....no. My father was a surgeon. I feel fully confident that if I asked him about his contribution he would say the same thing. I am not saying that she didn't sing in such a way that certain people were not inspired or felt a sense of enjoyment from her singing. I suppose if you wish to call that a contribution that's fine. But to the craft of music itself I see nothing.

As far as Elvis....I hold generally the same opinion. Elvis was a different situation though as his contribution was primarily cultural; a white guy signing what was to that point black music and that opened the door of acceptability for rock/blues/gospel to cross racial lines.

Actors....again I hold pretty much the same opinion. It's a rare actor that in my opinion really performs in such a way that a significant contribution is made to the craft of acting.

I think you are unnecessarily hard on people.

She wasn't the greatest singer of all time.......she wasn't the greatest woman of all time....and she sure as hell wasn't the greatest parent of all time.
I too wish the media would shut the fuck about her already~

Whitney was not a great role model. She messed up her family & daughters life. BUT... She was a great vocalist. She did I will always love you even better than Dolly Parton.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZO1iT4kD0"]Dolly Parton[/ame]
VS
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QaI-M9sxW4"]Whitney Houston[/ame]

Whitney was not a great role model. She messed up her family & daughters life. BUT... She was a great vocalist. She did I will always love you even better than Dolly Parton.

Dolly Parton
VS
Whitney Houston

I disagree.
Maybe it's because I heard Dolly sing it first....maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Houston's....but I always prefer the Dolly version best :)

Are the ongoing reports which are still coming in accurate?

Whatcha mean??

Last I heard....the funeral is Saturday at a church in Newark, New Jersey...where she grew up. The church can seat 1500 people........the family was against it at first, but have now decided to put up a large Tv outside, for the fans to watch the funeral.
And the flags have been ordered to be at lowered on Saturday, in honor of her.
Also.....the latest news from people who saw her the night before she died...was she had been drinking very heavily.
My money is on....she basically killed herself.....by taking too much...of everything.

Forum List

Back