Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

Gary Clark Jr. - I was in the audience for this.

Who is that?
If you give me some kinda BS, Go fuck yourself. I never heard of that guy.
Chet Atkins he is not.

Hey, Duke, Gary Clark Jr. IS quite good. I own his latest CD, and he SHREDS on some of the songs. And his vocals are quite good, as well.

Okay. Bad choice for an example.

I'm serious, and you CAN call me Shirley........

He ain't no Albert King, brah. Noodling is not phrasing.
That guy ain't making it say anything at all. He's just twiddling.
Am not impressed.

It may just be a bad video of the guy. I'm telling ya, some of his playing on his latest CD IS fantastic. It reminds me of a cross between Hendrix and Prince on the electric stuff. And his playing sounds great on a few acoustic blues numbers on the CD.

Of course the usual suspects like Eric and Jimi and Slash etc.... :up:

but also the ones who came long before them...like the amazing Django Reinhardt.
(Born January 23, 1910, Liberchies, Pont-à-Celles, Belgium - Died:May 16, 1953, Samois-sur-Seine, France)

Are You in the Mood?

but also the ones who came long before them...like the amazing Django Reinhardt.
(Born January 23, 1910, Liberchies, Pont-à-Celles, Belgium - Died:May 16, 1953, Samois-sur-Seine, France)

Are You in the Mood?

Thanks for your post and the video, skye.

A weird musical genius that is now dead.
From Minnesota.

Prince was a boss, too.

Like Zappa, Prince didn't take any shit off of corporate recording execs....At first blush, I thought his transforming of his name into the unpronounceable glyph was a vanity act...Once I got the full story -that the execs wanted to profit from his name- I was all aboard the action.

Men who tell The Machine to fuck off earn my undying respeks.

A weird musical genius that is now dead.
From Minnesota.

Prince was a boss, too.

Like Zappa, Prince didn't take any shit off of corporate recording execs....At first blush, I thought his transforming of his name into the unpronounceable glyph was a vanity act...Once I got the full story -that the execs wanted to profit from his name- I was all aboard the action.

Men who tell The Machine to fuck off earn my undying respeks.

Most pop music in the 80s was from Prince or Bruce Springsteen, ok?
I thank him for Sugar Walls. :auiqs.jpg:
Zappa was disgusting! :funnyface:

Are You in the Mood?

Welcome Sir! :113:

Are You in the Mood?

I have short, thick, fingers.. When I complain about how hard it is to play guitar with my fingers I listen to some Django Reinhardt and remind myself that physical limitations are only in my mind.

Are You in the Mood?

I have short, thick, fingers.. When I complain about how hard it is to play guitar with my fingers I listen to some Django Reinhardt and remind myself that physical limitations are only in my mind.

Yes ...I know what you mean. But he didn't let his limitations stop him at all. He was a winner!

Are You in the Mood?

Welcome Sir! :113:

Much obliged, ma'am!

Maybe an unexpected entry but a recent favorite of mine is Junior Brown. I don't know that he's exactly in the same league as these others - and don't know that he's not - but he plays (played until it was stolen in Massachusetts) an awesome gilt-steel guitar and played it pretty damn well.
An example would be nice. :)

Here's one highlighting his guitar chops.

Here's another one just for fun but not as much guitar work:

And another fun one you might be familiar with:

Maybe an unexpected entry but a recent favorite of mine is Junior Brown. I don't know that he's exactly in the same league as these others - and don't know that he's not - but he plays (played until it was stolen in Massachusetts) an awesome gilt-steel guitar and played it pretty damn well.
An example would be nice. :)

Here's one highlighting his guitar chops.

Here's another one just for fun but not as much guitar work:

And another fun one you might be familiar with:

He's good. :) His regular guitar is better than his steel.
Much.

Tom Scholz and the other guy. Nobody ever mentions him, idk even what his name is.
The other guitar player, not Brad Delps.

Last edited:
My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
Watermelon is sublime! It's a wonderful melody and showcases Zappa tone and variety. VOL III of Joes Garage has amazing guitar work

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
Watermelon is sublime! It's a wonderful melody and showcases Zappa tone and variety. VOL III of Joes Garage has amazing guitar work
Yeah, he was a musical genius. He died of AIDS.

Forum List

Back