Who here is collecting retirement social security??

tyroneweaver

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2012
So should the FEDS mandate that we get a living wage also?
If everyone is getting 15 bucks an hour, where does that leave us retirees?
Doesn't that move the economy past us? We didn't even get a cola this year.
Down the road this doesn't help the 65 and old crowd

That is actually a valid point. The $15 minimum devalues the purchasing power of those on a fixed income.

They figure if you've been too stupid to financially set up shop by the time you're 65(or is it 67 or 70 ?) what difference does it make ?
There's an olllllld saying that applies here.
:// Fuck'em and feed'em beans !
Grow your own cilantro(mukkikants call it coriander).
Beans are good.it'll grow fine in the trailer.Put it by the west window in the afternoon.
Make sure and tape it up where the rubber seal used to be.
Should you be lucky enough for a COLA....
ut3f9.jpg

Grow your own cilantro(mukkikants call it coriander).

Coriander is the seed; cilantro is the Spanish word for the leaves.

I grind the former with my coffee beans and sprinkle the latter into a rice dish.

crank out the printing presses

money for everyone

I'm not worried about retirement but the op makes a certain amount of sense.
Why should the gov promise burger flippers a living wage when they dont want to do the same for someone who's paid into the system all their life?

I'm not worried about retirement but the op makes a certain amount of sense.
Why should the gov promise burger flippers a living wage when they dont want to do the same for someone who's paid into the system all their life?

are you trying to find the logic in liberal logic

probably wont find much

--LOL

I've been collecting SS since I hit 62....figured I'd get what I could while I could.
smileys-money-114847.gif

crank out the printing presses

money for everyone
It's money for everyone that could be creating a problem for seniors.

Social Security is self-sufficient as of today and for years to come if nothing changes. I am not collecting but the argument about SS is that people put in a whole lot less than they get out. Which may, in some regards be true. But isn't that how most annuities are run? As it is explained to me, as long as the stock market doesn't completely tank then I should be able to draw more from an annuity than I put in. So SS is no different. One difference is if a person dies, SS doesn't pay like an annuity will.

That all said. It is amazing to me that those on welfare get COLAs almost every year, much more than SS recipients who technically earned the benefit. Does anyone ever mention how welfare is to be funded? Does anyone ever shut up about how SS isn't funded? Even though SS is still in the black. Welfare they don't worry about where the money comes from SS not so much.

You can fix SS in a minute...maybe 50 seconds. Anybody still making over say....$60K a year at retirement age gets means-tested out. If that changes they get back in. The message would read: "Congratulations! You've achieved the American Dream, done well, and don't need government assistance at this time".

You can fix SS in a minute...maybe 50 seconds. Anybody still making over say....$60K a year at retirement age gets means-tested out. If that changes they get back in. The message would read: "Congratulations! You've achieved the American Dream, done well, and don't need government assistance at this time".

Then it becomes yet another welfare program. No thanks.

So once again, those who achieve, those who work hard and those who put the most money into SS are the ones who get punished. No wonder so many are dropping out and not working, why bother if you are just going to get to the same place in the end?

NO, a system was set up with promises made. If there is a problem then fix the problem. Right now the problem is that too many are going on SS disability if even that is a problem.

The real problem is too many people are forced onto welfare or forced to take SS disability.

If a private company sold an annuity and then when you went to collect in your old age told you sorry, you make to much to collect, they would go to jail or should. But in the world we live today I doubt everything.

I waited until I was 66 before I started drawing my social security because I have a working farm and did not want to be punished for working and making money. If I had taken my social security, that I have paid in and still pay in, earlier I would be limited to the amount of money I could earn with my farm.

I started it at 62 years old although I did not want to. I wanted SSI due to my health issues but they kept denying me and even my own doc said I could work yet I got a handicapped plaque for my car due to not able to walk very far, and other issues I won't go into detail about. They denied me 3 times. Lawyers wanted money up front to fight them. I said fuck it...and when I hit 62, I started getting my piddly sum. When I turn 65, Medicare will take 100 bucks per month out of that.
I'd flip burgers, but I can't. I paid into the system all my life and now illegals get more care than I do.

It stinks.

I started it at 62 years old although I did not want to. I wanted SSI due to my health issues but they kept denying me and even my own doc said I could work yet I got a handicapped plaque for my car due to not able to walk very far, and other issues I won't go into detail about. They denied me 3 times. Lawyers wanted money up front to fight them. I said fuck it...and when I hit 62, I started getting my piddly sum. When I turn 65, Medicare will take 100 bucks per month out of that.
I'd flip burgers, but I can't. I paid into the system all my life and now illegals get more care than I do.

It stinks.
I am very lucky to still have my health. There is definitely something wrong with a system that you have to hire an attorney to get on disability. Silly how an attorney and judge has more say than a doctor about your ability to work but that is the way the system works.

Forum List

Back