Who is the greatest rock voice in history?

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Let's set some ground rules, and admit that nobody is entirely correct here. However, there are people who even if you don't like, have undeniable talent.

I have a short list of the greatest rock voices in history, and my standards are a voice that carries the songs, is dynamic and able to wail over three hours, doesn't require technological enhancement or background melodic assist, can perform songs with more power live or acoustic, etc.

There are many legendary bands that have great lead singers but of whom I wouldn't consider... such as Gene Simmons (KISS), Paul McCartney (The Beatles), Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones), Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison (The Doors) Brian/Carl Wilson (Beach Boys), Bon Scott/Brian Johnson (ACDC), David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar (Van Halen), Joe Elliot (Def Leopard) Axle Rose (Guns & Roses), James Hetfield (Metallica) Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder), Scott Weiland (STP) Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), Chester Bennington (Linkin Park), Dave Grohel (Foo Fighters) Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Elton John, Billy Joel, David Bowie

So let's get to the guys that I personally think have "it", and are the greatest rock voices of all time. I get 2 choices:

• Freddie Mercury (Queen)
  • Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

The 3 that tied for 2nd would be
  • Steve Perry (Journey)
  • Bono (U2)
  • Robert Plant (Led Zepplin)

The 2"not mainstream and underdog/personal-but-amazing voice" addition I get for making this post would be:

• Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
  • Kevin Maxx (DC Talk)

Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

That's it.

Last edited:
Let's set some ground rules, and admit that nobody is entirely correct here. However, there are people who even if you don't like, have undeniable talent.

I have a short list of the greatest rock voices in history, and my standards are a voice that carries the songs, is dynamic and able to wail over three hours, doesn't require technological enhancement or background melodic assist, can perform songs with more power live or acoustic, etc.

There are many legendary bands that have great lead singers but of whom I wouldn't consider... such as Gene Simmons (KISS), Paul McCartney (The Beatles), Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones), Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison (The Doors) Brian/Carl Wilson (Beach Boys), Bon Scott/Brian Johnson (ACDC), David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar (Van Halen), Joe Elliot (Def Leopard) Axle Rose (Guns & Roses), James Hetfield (Metallica) Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder), Scott Weiland (STP) Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), Chester Bennington (Linkin Park), Dave Grohel (Foo Fighters) Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Elton John, Billy Joel, David Bowie

So let's get to the guys that I personally think have "it", and are the greatest rock voices of all time. I get 2 choices:

• Freddie Mercury (Queen)
  • Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)

The 2 that tied for 2nd would be
  • Steve Perry (Journey)
  • Bono (U2)

The 2"not mainstream and underdog/personal-but-amazing voice" addition I get for making this post would be:

• Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
  • Kevin Maxx (DC Talk)

Go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

That's it.
Freddie Mercury for sure. Robert Plant comes to mind. Plant's voice was a real powerhouse. Saw him live, PA went down, you could still hear him. In other genres (If I am allowed)...Frank Sinatra, Luciano Pavarotti. BB King best blues shouter.

Freddie Mercury for sure. Robert Plant comes to mind. His voice was a real powerhouse. Saw him live, PA went down, you could still hear him.
F! I thought Robert Plant but forgot to mention him. I'm going to update my top 4 and make it a top 5. I seriously knew he was up there but forgot to type it.

Forum List

Back